Scoopar

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2006
Long Way from Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Hearts of Midlothian, GB Packers.
Huge game this weekend in Kilmore with Assumption College tackling Sacred Heart in the traditional interschool match as part of the annual sports exchange.

Massive game for Assumption as it is coach Ray Carroll's last ever game after over 40 years involved in the school's footy team, the last 36 years as senior coach.

I am travelling over for it from Adelaide as my daughters are involved in one of the other sports but it is the footy that has everyone excited.

Sacred Heart should be at full strength, including U/18 All Australian Ben Kennedy and South Adelaide sensation Emmanuel Irra.

Assumption has a huge motivation in sending off 74 year old Carroll with a win.

Sacred Heart won the annual clash last year on its home turf and is very keen to finish off on a high after losing recently to Rostrevor and missing out on the Messenger Shield.

Should be a big crowd there including a lot of Carroll's former pupils.

Legendary College Sporting Coach To Retire
Assumption College Kilmore’s longest serving member of staff and icon of Australian College Sport,
Mr. Ray Carroll, will finish his extraordinary coaching career after 53 years on August 28, 2011.
Rarely in Australian sporting history has one individual devoted themselves as wholly and selflessly to
the demanding role of coaching at the highest competitive level as has Ray Carroll.
Join thousands of former students, friends and legends of Australian sport coming together to
recognise this milestone event at Assumption College Kilmore, before participating in a fundraising
celebration (and harness racing meeting named in Ray Carroll’s honour) at the Kilmore Racecourse.
• 11.00am (ACK) - Past Students Marquee (general get together and BBQ)
• 12.30pm (ACK) - Captain’s Guard of Honour / National Anthem
• 12.40pm (ACK) - 1st XVIII Football (Assumption College vs. Sacred Heart College)
• 3.15pm (ACK) - Presentation to Mr. Ray Carroll
• 4.30pm (Kilmore Racecourse) Fundraising Auction and Race Meeting (Ray Carroll Cup)
Join us in thanking Mr. Carroll for all he has done for so many over the past 50 years.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* For more details go to www.rayday.org

Just for the record, Sacred Heart beat Assumption College 13-23-101 to 12-6-78 on Sunday, much to the disappointment of the vast majority of the crowd of about 4000 who were there to celebrate "Ray Day". I felt like we were watching the Harlem Globetrotters being beaten by the Washington Generals.

Unfortunately for Ray Carroll his footy team couldn't quite get one last win. Mind you, Sacred Heart have been beaten in about 40 of these encounters in the last 56 years, so the SH kids were entitled to be rapt with a fantastic win.

Kicking with the aid of a strong breeze to the pavillion end Assumption got off to a terrific start and after about 15 minutes were leading 5-3-33 to nil.

Sacred Heart then closed out the quarter with the last three scoring shots (1-2) to be down by 4 goals at quarter time.

Sacred Heart took complete control in the second quarter and had they kicked straight wouild have had a big lead.

Assumption only managed 2 points to the Hearts 4-9. Hearts were up by 6 points at half time.

Kicking against the breeze in the third quarter, Hearts domnate the midfield led by Emanneul Irra, captain Ed Smart and Ben Kennedy taking over the clearances. They outscored Assumption and set up the last quarter with a 16 point lead.

After a rousing 3/4 time speech from Ray Carroll and urged on by about 500 spectators around the huddle, Assumption rallied with a war cry before breaking up and going to position for the last quarter.

The emotion kicked in and Assumption had two goals into the breeze within 90 seconds. It looked a distinct chance to sieze an unlikely win, going goal for goal for about 15 minutes. However Sacred Heart steadied and scored the last two goals to win and silence the massive crowd.

Best player for the Hearts was Ugandan born Emmanuel Irra. Number 3 for Assumption was a stand out and every time Assumption needed a lift it was the small blokes wearing numbers 1 and 3 that kept them in the contest.

Terrific day's entertainment with Shane Crawford hosting a goal kicking comp at 1/2 time between Bill Brownless, Ray Power, Peter McCormack & Simon O'Donnell.

After the game there were several presentations made to Ray Carroll including a gift from the Prim Minister and a congratulatory letter from the Victorian Premier. Neil Daniher spoke on behalf of all the former students who had been coached and taught by Mr Carroll. Damian Drum announced that a bronze statue of Ray Carroll will be commissioned to stand at the ground.

Mr Carroll responded humbly and with great dignity. Truly a historic day for Assumption College.

Unfortunately for Ray Carroll his footy team couldn't quite get one last win. Mind you, Sacred Heart have been beaten in about 40 of these encounters in the last 56 years, so the SH kids were entitled to be rapt with a fantastic win.

Just on this, just wanting to know if you have the info, how many of Sacred Hearts wins have come in the last 15 or so years? The reason I ask this, is because SA up until about 15 years ago were always a year younger than the Vic side, something to do with South Australian's starting school earlier or only doing 6 months of Prep or something. This has changed so that most South Australian kids are now turning 18 in year 12 instead of 17 which was the case previously. I reckon this has evened things up a bit.

I don't know; but you are right, from what a few people have told me, Sacred Heart definitely had a relatively younger team for the first four decades due to the kids starting school in SA at age 4 (and therefore being 16 when entering year 12) and Assumption won the vast majority of these games.

I know Sacred Heart has won the last two and won three in a row in the early 2000's (2004, 2005, 2006?). In the last 20 years, it might have been a more even spread.

Be interesting to find out.

Just on this, just wanting to know if you have the info, how many of Sacred Hearts wins have come in the last 15 or so years? The reason I ask this, is because SA up until about 15 years ago were always a year younger than the Vic side, something to do with South Australian's starting school earlier or only doing 6 months of Prep or something. This has changed so that most South Australian kids are now turning 18 in year 12 instead of 17 which was the case previously. I reckon this has evened things up a bit.

I can verify this. I was a boarder at Sacred Heart from 1971 - 1974. Back in those days you completed your Matriculation (as it was called then) the year you turned 17. We generally had a handful of kids who repeated and turned 18 in that last year. Our team in 1974 was almost entirely made up of 16 and 17 year olds (with one, maybe two 18 year olds from memory), whilst Assumption were predominantly 17 and 18 year olds, although they may have had the odd 19 year old who was repeating as well.

I recall back in those days, that we would put up a valiant fight for two or three quarters, only to be eventually over run by bigger, stronger opponents. Things have obviously changed in recent years.

Sacred Heart won the annual challenge v Assumption College last week (19/8/2012) by 15 goals. That makes three in a row to the Hearts and about 6 of the last 9. It was the biggest winning margin for many years - those I spoke to said they coldn't recall a bigger margin.

Sacred Heart won the annual challenge v Assumption College last week (19/8/2012) by 15 goals. That makes three in a row to the Hearts and about 6 of the last 9. It was the biggest winning margin for many years - those I spoke to said they coldn't recall a bigger margin.

Wowee. Wonder if Brian Taylor will mention that in his call this week;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back