Training Training thread - news and live reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What does StKilda's forward line look like?

At a hunch, I'd be going

B: Williams, Tarrant, Daw
HB: Pittard, Walker, McDonald.

........in the knowledge that midfield run will be pushing back to assist.

I still don't really have a strong feel for this new set up yet.

I also; if they're all fit, this is the 6.....and a pretty good outfit too.....maybe Wood on the pine (again if fit)?

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Caught the first half.

Much quieter games from Bonar, Hall and Comben compared to previous ones.

Xerri played a very similar game to last weeks, thought he broke even in the ruck, Goldy got some fairly meaningless posies in and around the contest, Xerri dominated him in the air.

Cunners is Cunners.

Ahern got a lot of the ball, a lot of hack kicks.

Thought McDonald was particularly good. Scott as everywhere early and just breaks lines, sticks out like dogs balls in our side.

Thomas flashed in and out but was great in periods.

Good to hear Zurhaar was better in the second half, as he’s had about 5 kicks combined for the 10 qtrs I’ve watched so far. Someone described him as playing like a millionaire, not a bad anology. Wood has to get some credit, he’s kept him virtually possessionless in most of the match sim this month. Concerned.

The only bloke near Cunners from a preseason performance standpoint has been Majak in the last 3 games. He performed today like he did the last 2 games. So far above the next defender it’s not funny. Primed for a huge year.

Simpkin is ‘just’ going from what I’ve seen. I don’t want to say it’s Groundhog Day yet, but I’m getting similar vibes to a lot of the puff peices articles about him. Without the talk meeting the performances. His performances in the preseason games are going to be really interesting.

Anderson has been exceptional in all the games so far. Just about the best mid behind Cunnington and Higgins.

Hosie should be nicknamed ‘Rudy’. The guy is absolute maximum effort and an absolute heart and soul, glue guy type.

Larkey will kick 40+ this year, he was still challenging Majak and Majak was in beast mode today.
Jy was heaps better in the second half when he played in the middle - I don't think wing is his position - he needs to be in the guts.

TT looks to have developed earlier than expected in terms of moving into the midfield - and that is huge news for us. If he and Hall can combine for 80% mid field Tim e then that gives us the run we need in there.

LMac was the other that seemed a lot more composed than usual - its a intra club match so lets not get carried away yet - but his kicking action seems to have improved from last year.

Wood doesn't yet look entirely comfortable in the back half but his foot skills are a real point of difference - his kicking out after a point actually hits targets and has depth - again we haven't had this for many years.

On the disappointing side Garner again did little and Atley looked out of sorts.

The pretend stuff is out of the way now - real opposition next week so lets see how we look after that.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Jy was heaps better in the second half when he played in the middle - I don't think wing is his position - he needs to be in the guts.

TT looks to have developed earlier than expected in terms of moving into the midfield - and that is huge news for us. If he and Hall can combine for 80% mid field Tim e then that gives us the run we need in there.

LMac was the other that seemed a lot more composed than usual - its a intra club match so lets not get carried away yet - but his kicking action seems to have improved from last year.

Wood doesn't yet look entirely comfortable in the back half but his foot skills are a real point of difference - his kicking out after a point actually hits targets and has depth - again we haven't had this for many years.

On the disappointing side Garner again did little and Atley looked out of sorts.

The pretend stuff is out of the way now - real opposition next week so lets see how we look after that.
In the 2 praccys I've seen Luke has been the best of the mid/smaller defenders. Followed by Pittard. Throw a blanket over Williams, Macmillan and Atley.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

From all the reports so far, I'm starting to think our midfield mix is still a little awry. The vast majority of them are better suited to the guts than to playing positions like wing, flanks, outside mid.

Cunners, Higgins, Simpkin, Ziebell, Anderson, Bonar, Tyson, Hall, LDU, Dumont, Ahern, Hayden are all best suited to that role. Plus, we are trying to give TT minutes there too (too early to tell where his best position is IMO).

I can only think of Polec and Scott out of the mids who are actually better suited to these outside/not "in the guts" roles. I reckon the balance is waaaay out.

You can see why Gaff and Kelly have been targets of ours. Need to get that midfield mix right.

From all the reports so far, I'm starting to think our midfield mix is still a little awry. The vast majority of them are better suited to the guts than to playing positions like wing, flanks, outside mid.

Cunners, Higgins, Simpkin, Ziebell, Anderson, Bonar, Tyson, Hall, LDU, Dumont, Ahern, Hayden are all best suited to that role. Plus, we are trying to give TT minutes there too (too early to tell where his best position is IMO).

I can only think of Polec and Scott out of the mids who are actually better suited to these outside/not "in the guts" roles. I reckon the balance is waaaay out.

You can see why Gaff and Kelly have been targets of ours. Need to get that midfield mix right.
Dumont and, for brief periods, Higgins can still play outside. But you have a good overall point.

Dumont and, for brief periods, Higgins can still play outside. But you have a good overall point.
It's almost at the stage where playing TT in the guts is a luxury we simply cannot afford as we're going to need him on the outside so badly. Which is a shame. And it is also a shame that a 2nd year player is so crucial to our structure. We can't really afford to rest him, he simply has to play 22+ games. Not ideal.

It's almost at the stage where playing TT in the guts is a luxury we simply cannot afford as we're going to need him on the outside so badly. Which is a shame. And it is also a shame that a 2nd year player is so crucial to our structure. We can't really afford to rest him, he simply has to play 22+ games. Not ideal.

Don’t worry about TT playing 22
If Walsh , Worpel etc can handle it ( and they play mainly in the guts) I don’t see a problem

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I think this is why Shaw has been talking so much about increased forward/midfield rotations. Hopefully the plan is to give these guys shorter more intense bursts in the middle, as most of those guys are more than capable at resting forward. Would allow us to more consistently apply pressure too, which would be pretty great to see.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
TT isn't ready for a full time center square role imo.

A wing role, naturally then being around stoppages up the ground is his natural progression this year.

I also don't think he's as good as what we've got in that position, yet.

He looks a lot more comfortable at the level now though, clearly. Backing his pace to break away fron congestion a lot and plainly just trying to run though players and their tackles.

Scott's the one we need to pump time into this year. Despite Dumonts last few years, Bailey's ceiling as an AFL wingman is ALOT higher. He needs to be given that wing.

I doubt Polec is going to be rdy for Rnd 1, so it might be Scott and Dumont anyway, but it should be Polec and Scott for the foreseeable future.

A wing role, naturally then being around stoppages up the ground is his natural progression.

He looks a lot more comfortable at the level now. Clearly.
I didn't say he was. I said we were looking to give him minutes in there.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

A wing role, naturally then being around stoppages up the ground is his natural progression this year.

I also don't think he's as good as what we've got in that position, yet.

He looks a lot more comfortable at the level now though, clearly. Backing his pace to break away fron congestion a lot and plainly just trying to run though players and their tackles.

Scott's the one we need to pump time into this year. Despite Dumonts last few years, Bailey's ceiling as an AFL wingman is ALOT higher. He needs to be given that wing.

I doubt Polec is going to be rdy for Rnd 1, so it might be Scott and Dumont anyway, but it should be Polec and Scott for the foreseeable future.
I don't think anyone - even Cunners - should be considered a full time mid anymore.

We need to have 10 guys capable of working through the middle from Cunners at 70% mid right down to blokes like Dumont, Zeibull, Anderson playing around 30% in there. We need to mix it right up in the middle - the idea that Cunners and Higgo can take 90% of the centre bounces each has to change - we can't afford to be that predictable anymore.

TT, Simpkin, Hall and LDU need to spend quality minutes in there. Ahern was good yesterday in the middle as well - his quick disposal creates opportunities for 'chaos balls' into the forward line. Bonar also is knocking on the door.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m super curious to see how our backline and forward line lines up in round one. There is serious competition there for the first time since I can remember.

I see it like this at the moment:

B: Williams,Tarrant, Pittard
HB: Daw, Walker, Atley

Next in Line: Mcdonald, McMillan, Wood, Ahern, Durdin, McKay.

HF: Garner, Larkey, Thomas
F: Turner, Brown, Zurhaar

Next in Line: Hosie, Mahoney, Comben

nj23

Senior List
Jan 24, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think this is why Shaw has been talking so much about increased forward/midfield rotations. Hopefully the plan is to give these guys shorter more intense bursts in the middle, as most of those guys are more than capable at resting forward. Would allow us to more consistently apply pressure too, which would be pretty great to see.
I think that's a good point. If you want to play bash-and-crash blokes are going to blow up pretty quickly. Imagine one rotation having Jed run through you only to have the next stoppage with JZ lining you up. And then maybe a bit of CZ. And then maybe a TT tackle. And then Bonar running through.
I'm curious to know how the coaches and players would deal with players running hot or cold. Do you rotate a cold player in hoping they become hot? Do you rotate a hot player out? Maybe we'll find out in the pre-season games.

Bobby B

Team Captain
Jan 31, 2003
Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
From what I have seen at the practice matches (will include Tarrant of course): this is my line up for the backs and forwards

B: Williams, Tarrant, Pittard
HB: Daw, Walker, Mcdonald

HF: Hosie, Larkey, Thomas
F: Turner, Brown, Zurhaar

Black2Blue

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I could see us going in against the Saints with 2 kpds, Taz & Maj, with Pittard & JMac/Wood taking Membrey, as it's St Kilda's small forwards who pose the bigger risk.

B: Williams, Tarrant, Pittard
HB: Atley, Daw, McDonald
Int: JMac/Wood
The extra defender on interchange would be JMac or possibly Wood if he starts to find his groove in the practice matches. If Scamper feels we need the height, then Walker will play over Durdin, at the expense of JMac/Wood. This will mostly likely be the case if Maj is expected to ruck (not that he has done any in the pre-season) and have stints resting on the pine.

As to the forward line, I reckon there is a healthy battle for 1 spot, as the forward starting on the bench. Will assume that JZ and BBB will be fit to play.

HF: JZ, Larkey, Thomas
F: Zurhaar, Brown, Turner
Int: Garner/Hosie/Mahony

Garner should play but didn't do enough on Friday to suggest he is a lock, Hosie was more dangerous than Garns on Friday but unproven, and Mahony is behind them but fills a need more than the other two.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Selling Scott Thompson a bit short there. He was a quality kick bringing it back in to play from a point.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

He'll play as a utility for a while yet.

Hell, I would even give him minutes as a loose man in defence.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Apologies if it’s been covered, but how did McKay go?
artworks-000355947897-ef9vyj-t500x500.jpg

From reading the summaries posted earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back