Training Training thread - news and live reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From all the reports so far, I'm starting to think our midfield mix is still a little awry. The vast majority of them are better suited to the guts than to playing positions like wing, flanks, outside mid.

Cunners, Higgins, Simpkin, Ziebell, Anderson, Bonar, Tyson, Hall, LDU, Dumont, Ahern, Hayden are all best suited to that role. Plus, we are trying to give TT minutes there too (too early to tell where his best position is IMO).

I can only think of Polec and Scott out of the mids who are actually better suited to these outside/not "in the guts" roles. I reckon the balance is waaaay out.

You can see why Gaff and Kelly have been targets of ours. Need to get that midfield mix right.
I know Hayden spent time outside in the WAFL, he makes good position and does have leg speed. Pretty sure there's a couple there that should be able to work outside the engine.

Higgo v Jed

Nice tackle from Higgo, but for some reason my favourite part of that clip is the little, gentle-but-assertive shove that Cunners gives Tyson.

Kind of a friendly '**** off'.

P.S. Big thumbs up to GarnerSmash, Black2Blue and anyone else for the reports.

Last edited:

From all the reports so far, I'm starting to think our midfield mix is still a little awry. The vast majority of them are better suited to the guts than to playing positions like wing, flanks, outside mid.

Cunners, Higgins, Simpkin, Ziebell, Anderson, Bonar, Tyson, Hall, LDU, Dumont, Ahern, Hayden are all best suited to that role. Plus, we are trying to give TT minutes there too (too early to tell where his best position is IMO).

I can only think of Polec and Scott out of the mids who are actually better suited to these outside/not "in the guts" roles. I reckon the balance is waaaay out.

You can see why Gaff and Kelly have been targets of ours. Need to get that midfield mix right.

How many pure outside mids do the last handful of premiers have? I can only think of maybe 1 in each side.
The trend is having a list of mids who can do both. That seems to be the path I am seeing across most clubs.
You have mentioned Polec and Scott, but Hall, Simpkin, Higgins, Dumont, Ahern, Bonar (from what I have seen), Thomas are all just as good on the outside than inside.
I like the direction we are taking with trying to build a midfield with depth that have a rounded game.
We could potentially add a bit more speed to the list, but again I would be going after someone with more strings to their bow, rather than someone who is pigeon holed into one role.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Won't be this season, but I reckon this exact role is what we'll be looking for Flynn Perez to fill in the coming years.

Still early days but I'm excited at the thought of Bailey and Flynn on the wings for the foreseeable future.

Was he?

Quality kick in general but kick-ins and lack of penetrating the zone must be a focus area.

I’m liking the idea of Wood tbh

Don't do what Donny Givashe does.

FFS.

How many pure outside mids do the last handful of premiers have? I can only think of maybe 1 in each side.
The trend is having a list of mids who can do both. That seems to be the path I am seeing across most clubs.
You have mentioned Polec and Scott, but Hall, Simpkin, Higgins, Dumont, Ahern, Bonar (from what I have seen), Thomas are all just as good on the outside than inside.
I like the direction we are taking with trying to build a midfield with depth that have a rounded game.
We could potentially add a bit more speed to the list, but again I would be going after someone with more strings to their bow, rather than someone who is pigeon holed into one role.

I 100% disagree with "just as good". They can go outside but are not as effective.

I think that's a good point. If you want to play bash-and-crash blokes are going to blow up pretty quickly. Imagine one rotation having Jed run through you only to have the next stoppage with JZ lining you up. And then maybe a bit of CZ. And then maybe a TT tackle. And then Bonar running through.
I'm curious to know how the coaches and players would deal with players running hot or cold. Do you rotate a cold player in hoping they become hot? Do you rotate a hot player out? Maybe we'll find out in the pre-season games.

I’d play an extra mid than turner - gives us an extra rotation through the middle.
Probably would gives us more than turner forward as well

I’d play an extra mid than turner - gives us an extra rotation through the middle.
Probably would gives us more than turner forward as well
Turner applies pressure at the highest level but is severely limited in his 'tricks' and offensive capability.

Mahoney looked ok in the intra club - can find it and use it.

I wouldn't be playing either of them if we have our best 22 available but we know that will rarely be the case so one of them will likely be playing.

I 100% disagree with "just as good". They can go outside but are not as effective.

Hall - better on outside
Dumont - better on outside
Thomas - better on outside
Higgins - equal inside/outside
Simpkin - equal inside/outside
Ahern & Bonar - jury is still out, but from what I have seen of Ahern last year and Bonar at GWS, they’re both at least equal.

Splitting hairs with most of them, which in my opinion is a good thing.
Also a few kids coming through that will most likely be better suited to outside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hall - better on outside
Dumont - better on outside
Thomas - better on outside
Higgins - equal inside/outside
Simpkin - equal inside/outside
Ahern & Bonar - jury is still out, but from what I have seen of Ahern last year and Bonar at GWS, they’re both at least equal.

Splitting hairs with most of them, which in my opinion is a good thing.
Also a few kids coming through that will most likely be better suited to outside.

I vehemently disagree on Hall, Simpkin, Bonar and Dumont in particular. TT wasn't in the group I was discussing, but too early to tell anyway.

I'll give you Higgins.

Anyway, it is something I think is an issue in the case of our midfield balance, a midfield that was as poor as any last year. I'm glad it doesn't concern you :thumbsu:

I vehemently disagree on Hall, Simpkin, Bonar and Dumont in particular. TT wasn't in the group I was discussing, but too early to tell anyway.

I'll give you Higgins.

Anyway, it is something I think is an issue in the case of our midfield balance, a midfield that was as poor as any last year. I'm glad it doesn't concern you :thumbsu:

I never said there wasn’t room for improvement, I just disagree with what you have an issue with in regards to our midfield. I think we are addressing our midfield issues with the youth we are adding to our list by drafting or recruiting well rounded mids. That way we are addressing more than just outside work, it will improve other areas which in my opinion are more pressing.
We’re in the process of building a midfield and surely you can see an improvement in the likes of LDU, Simpkin, Scott, Anderson, Ahern, Dumont, Bonar, Thomas, etc to improve your concerns as well other concerns.
We will have to agree to disagree on the strengths of the players mentioned, as I think you’re a fair way off the mark. As I have previously stated I think pace could be improved, but again I think the youth coming through will address that.

Turner applies pressure at the highest level but is severely limited in his 'tricks'.

Tricks or otherwise the best forward pressure is getting the ball, I love his chasing and endeavour but ultimately he needs to get the damn ball, he just doesn’t do it

Can't remember the poster on the MB last year that was convinced that Thomas was just a clone of Jack Martin physically, i.e would always naturally be a twig.

Tarryn is clearly going to end up more Goodes/Burgoyne than Wells, physically, as an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back