Training Training thread - news and live reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember an intra-club around 97-98 and Evan Hewitt, Kent Kingsley and Scott Welsh collectively took a few contested grabs against Mick Martyn and Glenn Archer. Pagan talked them up in the match report and if Bigfooty had been around there would've been a suitable level of fapping.

This s**t has been happening forever.

I get that, but this kid has a lot going for him. Good above his head, hits the ground like a cat. I’m only guessing but I reckon the reason he was a second round selection and not first would be the question of weather he’d be able to bulk up and his consistency to impact games. Pretty clear he’s been drafted for his athletic ability. I think he’ll be a Lobb type, maybe even better in ground ball situations

Did you read past the table?

Most dangerous sports relative to the number of participants
The most statistically dangerous sports in Australia in terms of hospitalisations, adjusted for the number of participants, include Australian rules football, soccer, motorsports, cycling, rugby and water sports, in roughly that order.

Man I grew up mucking around behind a boat. I think I’m the only one who didn’t break anything, well except my face, a knee board hit me right on the cheek bone and split me open.

Did you know lawn bowels has the highest mortality rate?

Jeremy Clayton was similar.

A really good footballer.

The football world is not an efficient market. Biases and circumstance really do contribute to a lot of outcomes.

Hands down Jeremy Clayton was a better player than plenty who have gone past 50 games I watched at north and many other clubs. Unfortunately he did 1 dumb thing, got overly punished rather than "taught" then when his next opportunity presented itself serious injury struck.

The current football landscape would suit him to a T.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only preseason tease player who actually went on to have a career was Aaron Davey.

In our infinite wisdom we decided to lift the bat and not risk a nick swinging for him.

Davey wasn't a pre-season tease, he dominated the VFL the year he was drafted, for our own affiliate at the time Port Melbourne. Was electric that year off the wing....

We were set to take him, until Boomer put his foot down and wanted his brother on board instead. It's still one of the worst things we did in a pretty bad era of the McConell, Hay trades etc. He lasted all the way to the rookie draft despite being close to the best player in our own reserves side and being as explosive as he was.

Boomer was a 26 year old AA and had just won his first Syd, from memory he was also re-negotiating his contract at the time, so he had some pull....

Whilst Davey certainly wasn't Andrew McLeod, he ended up playing close to 200 games at a goal a game.

We certainly could of used him in those years, he would of been pretty awesome in tandem with Wells.

I remember, like most supporters at the time, being pretty devastated at the time when we the club used that last main list spot on S.Harvey.

It would of been comparable to letting Tarryn Thomas or similar slide by (not saying he was as good, but most supporters considered him one of us already and a slam dunk lock to North later in the draft).

Isaac Smith was to a lesser extent similar, but much more out of our control, in that Hawthron paid a high price for him and took him at the end of the first round, but right from under our noses again when we were looking at grabbing both Smith and Cam Richardson from that dominant Roosters side.

We ended up getting Richardson but took Kieran Harper with the pick we had allocated for Smith.

Last edited:
Davey wasn't a pre-season tease, he dominated the VFL the year he was drafted, for our own affiliate at the time Port Melbourne. Was electric that year off the wing....

We were set to take him, until Boomer put his foot down and wanted his brother on board instead.

He was 26 and had just won his first Syd, so he had some pull at the time....

I'm aware of his VFL form trust me. Was commenting on the array of players who turned it on in preseason games and that about the only 1 who went on to do something was the one we didn't take.

I'm aware of his VFL form trust me. Was commenting on the array of players who turned it on in preseason games and that about the only 1 who went on to do something was the one we didn't take.

Michael Barlow tore Swallow, Simpson and Rawlings up at Optus Oval as a fill in in our intra club when he was at Werribee in his first year.

It may have also been the same game JWS blew up his ankle...

Michael Barlow tore Swallow, Simpson and Rawlings up at Optus Oval as a fill in in our intra club when he was at Werribee in his first year.

It may have also been the same game JWS blew up his ankle...
I recollect that when JWS did his ankle, it was against Melbourne in a preseason game at Optus. Does that align?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back