Training Training thread - news and live reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went and had a look today. Biggest thing I noticed (and I know this is obvious) was the amount of new faces. I had NFI who some of these guys were. There seemed to be a few missing too. Not 100% but I didn't see McKay, Mullett, Simpkin, Tarrant, Mountford + the others we know are out. Take that with a grain of salt because I wasn't there all day and was a bit distracted.

So keeping that in mind, a couple of general observations.

-Atley and Wagner trained with the mids. I was surprised to see Wagner there tbh.

-Not sure what Boomers actual role is, but we're bloody lucky to have him. Does not stop coaching. Little one on one tips, general play coaching. Such an asset.

-Wood. It's hard not to get excited about what he could become. Skills, swagger & presence.

-Pruess. I'm not having a crack at him but he's along way off. No where near Goldie. Lucky he's aggressive.

-Durdin. I was really impressed with his athleticism. He moved like a mid in the 2on2 pressure drills.

- Waite. No one could tackle him in the drill mentioned above. He either got away or anyone agile enough to catch him wasn't strong to hold him.
When I went down and watched Durdin go through the goal kicking drill I was pretty amazed. The way he'd push off and move while kicking them on the run, didn't look at all like a player that was near two metres tall.

Went and had a look today. Biggest thing I noticed (and I know this is obvious) was the amount of new faces. I had NFI who some of these guys were. There seemed to be a few missing too. Not 100% but I didn't see McKay, Mullett, Simpkin, Tarrant, Mountford + the others we know are out. Take that with a grain of salt because I wasn't there all day and was a bit distracted.

-Atley and Wagner trained with the mids. I was surprised to see Wagner there tbh.

-Not sure what Boomers actual role is, but we're bloody lucky to have him. Does not stop coaching. Little one on one tips, general play coaching. Such an asset.

-Wood. It's hard not to get excited about what he could become. Skills, swagger & presence.

-Pruess. I'm not having a crack at him but he's along way off. No where near Goldie. Lucky he's aggressive.

-Durdin. I was really impressed with his athleticism. He moved like a mid in the 2on2 pressure drills.

- Waite. No one could tackle him in the drill mentioned above. He either got away or anyone agile enough to catch him wasn't strong to hold him.
Of all the equine appendages on this board, you are my favourite :thumbsu:

Of all of Donkey Kong's extended family you are my favourite.

Of all the ninja moves on this board you are my favourite

Of all of the exotic barbecue meats on this board, you are my favourite.

Of all the ways to bring down a tree on this board, you are my favourite.

Of all the variations of the "Donkey Punch" on this board, you are my favourite.

Of all the people to post something on training today, you are my favourite. Thanks DC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is he a definite starter this year?
Over Thompson, no. But I don't see why we couldn't play Thompson, Tarrant and Durdin. Still has a way to go but a taste of the top level could really kick start his career. Other young and skinny defenders have been given chances at the same age, thinking Lever and then Pearce at Freo.

Over Thompson, no. But I don't see why we couldn't play Thompson, Tarrant and Durdin. Still has a way to go but a taste of the top level could really kick start his career. Other young and skinny defenders have been given chances at the same age, thinking Lever and then Pearce at Freo.
This.

Depending on the opposition and matchups I would like to see Durdin take Thompson's role and Thompson move into Spud's role. We are so light on for key backs in terms of both guys who are ready now and KPD's for the future that one of Durdin, Nielsen or Watson has to play somewhat regularly imo. We will struggling both this season and in the future if we line up with a Tarrant/Thompson/Hansen tall defensive line on a regular basis this season.

This was pretty interesting to watch. Well done to the media team because it feels very immediate and unaffected.
Things I noticed: Kayne seems to be no longer a kid this year and all of his country shyness has melted away, I see leadership qualities emerging in him. The way Tudor talks to Zurhaar makes me feel like he is impressed of him and already asking him to perform at an advanced level. The Rat is chatty as hell but the talk is focused on footy, just seems to love the game and I think that is important in a player. Great to have that sort of vibe during training.

This was pretty interesting to watch. Well done to the media team because it feels very immediate and unaffected.
Things I noticed: Kayne seems to be no longer a kid this year and all of his country shyness has melted away, I see leadership qualities emerging in him. The way Tudor talks to Zurhaar makes me feel like he is impressed of him and already asking him to perform at an advanced level. The Rat is chatty as hell but the talk is focused on footy, just seems to love the game and I think that is important in a player. Great to have that sort of vibe during training.

Zurhaar is the one that has impressed me the most, via reports, from the last draft group.

I look at that and think what a great job it is, being a footballer, and these kids have a massive opportunity to turn said job into a fruitful career.

Looking forward to what ensues with these lads tomorrow and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back