Training Training thread - news and live reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obviously a light session. Got there at 1230 & Durds & Kayne Turner already getting into their car.
It was a very light session. Started with a kicking drill with some sort of competition amongst the players. Kicking in pairs with the marking player putting the ball on their head. There was plenty of banter going on within the group. They did a full ground drill with the ball going from the backline to the other end then a shot on goal with players on specific marks all over the field. finished breaking into 3 groups with the mids doing some basic work off Pruessy's tap work, the backs doing some one on one stuff and some goal kicking for the forwards.

I have never been to training before but will give my thoughts for anyone interested. Three things stood out for me even though it was a bit of a kick about

1. In the end to end drills the amount of mongrel kicks was astounding. I played State league hockey no where near the professionalism of AFL or the skill level of a national competition, but all of my coaches at senior level and quite a few in the juniors would have lost their minds if we were passing like that at training.
2. Hrovat was very vocal, particularly during the opening drill involving all the banter, and seemed to be the guy that made the day to day monotony of full time sport just that little bit more fun.
3. Dumont and Brown were the last ones off the track by quite some time. Dumont spent at least an extra 15 minutes working on picking up ground balls and snaps from around 30 metres out. Tudor and his kid (I think) stood behind the goals collecting balls and kicking them back out. Brown was out there an extra 15 minutes after Dumont went in, kicking set shots and taking marks on the 50.

1. In the end to end drills the amount of mongrel kicks was astounding. I played State league hockey no where near the professionalism of AFL or the skill level of a national competition, but all of my coaches at senior level and quite a few in the juniors would have lost their minds if we were passing like that at training. .

Re. The bolded, (which i have also witnessed when watching training sessions) just proves the old saying that "you play like you train" rings pretty true.

I remember if anyone stuffed up at a Barassi training session it was an instant 10/20 pushups, +/- some 400m sprints,
todays default response is usually to laugh it off.

Re. The bolded, (which i have also witnessed when watching training sessions) just proves the old saying that "you play like you train" rings pretty true.

I remember if anyone stuffed up at a Barassi training session it was an instant 10/20 pushups, +/- some 400m sprints,
I had flashbacks to my U/17 coach who would line us up on the 25m line and give out nipple gripples to the players not taking it seriously. Many times I left training with bruised nipples. And all my dad had to say was "why were you mucking around"

But now, after 8 years of a coach accepting this s**t the players don't have to care.

It was a very light session. Started with a kicking drill with some sort of competition amongst the players. Kicking in pairs with the marking player putting the ball on their head. There was plenty of banter going on within the group. They did a full ground drill with the ball going from the backline to the other end then a shot on goal with players on specific marks all over the field. finished breaking into 3 groups with the mids doing some basic work off Pruessy's tap work, the backs doing some one on one stuff and some goal kicking for the forwards.

I have never been to training before but will give my thoughts for anyone interested. Three things stood out for me even though it was a bit of a kick about

1. In the end to end drills the amount of mongrel kicks was astounding. I played State league hockey no where near the professionalism of AFL or the skill level of a national competition, but all of my coaches at senior level and quite a few in the juniors would have lost their minds if we were passing like that at training.
2. Hrovat was very vocal, particularly during the opening drill involving all the banter, and seemed to be the guy that made the day to day monotony of full time sport just that little bit more fun.
3. Dumont and Brown were the last ones off the track by quite some time. Dumont spent at least an extra 15 minutes working on picking up ground balls and snaps from around 30 metres out. Tudor and his kid (I think) stood behind the goals collecting balls and kicking them back out. Brown was out there an extra 15 minutes after Dumont went in, kicking set shots and taking marks on the 50.

Thanks for that YOTR. Very interesting write-up.

Where did you play your State league hockey - was it Melbourne?

I had flashbacks to my U/17 coach who would line us up on the 25m line and give out nipple gripples to the players not taking it seriously. Many times I left training with bruised nipples. And all my dad had to say was "why were you mucking around"
Nipple gripples. Lol.

I played colts footy and we would start training 20m away from our partner. Kick to kick swapping from preferred to non-preferred. Take a few steps not flat footed. Miss your target you do pushups. Too many misses and the coach made everyone do laps of the oval indian file. No fooling around from start to finish. Only time we got to joke was if you had a goal kicking comp every now and then.

It's how it should be. Fool around when training is done or after a game if you win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks AJ

Yes played in Melbourne
I was once warming up for a game in the tunnel of Perth Stadium waiting for a Premier Div game to finish. Baeden Choopy, who was playing, stumbled into the tunnel, threw up, and then went straight back onto the field. Mate and I looked at each other and he says "that's why we'll never be olympians!"

When was the last time one of guys ran so hard the threw up? (This may happen and the just font show on tv?!)

Note: if rumors where true may have been other influences on Choppy, but still not many ran as hard as he did.

I was once warming up for a game in the tunnel of Perth Stadium waiting for a Premier Div game to finish. Baeden Choopy, who was playing, stumbled into the tunnel, threw up, and then went straight back onto the field. Mate and I looked at each other and he says "that's why we'll never be olympians!"

When was the last time one of guys ran so hard the threw up? (This may happen and the just font show on tv?!)

Note: if rumors where true may have been other influences on Choppy, but still not many ran as hard as he did.

They are hardly allowed to do any of that sort of training anymore due to "loading" ect ect.

It was a very light session. Started with a kicking drill with some sort of competition out play the players. Kicking in pairs with the marking player putting the ball on their head. There was plenty of banter going on within the group. They did a full ground drill with the ball going from the backline to the other end then a shot on goal with players on specific marks all over the field. finished breaking into 3 groups with the mids doing some basic work off Pruessy's tap work, the backs doing some one on one stuff and some goal kicking for the forwards.

Who did you play hockey for ?

G

going to Perth in sept oct to watch daughter play a h l

Don't tell me you played hockey as well ?

Well in fact still "play", or at least make my way around a field holding a stick.

Have a run for Melville in the 0 40s comps over here - Saturday pm on grass & Monday nights on turf.

Pretty decent leagues, both of them: lots of blokes who were - and still are - way better players than I ever have been. Always good value to catch up with after each game for a liquid refreshment or three, as well.

G

going to Perth in sept oct to watch daughter play a h l

Should be great again, this year's nationals. My young bloke & I are looking forward to getting down to Curtin Uni to see a few games. (Let's face it, there's no AFL finals action to be getting excited about.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back