Training Training thread - news and live reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laidley copped much of the same. As will Shaw in a few years if we don’t win a flag. Largely the same people, definitely the same types.

Portraying a comment on planning for life after footy as a negative is a new low.

I am astounded that posters are bagging Scott for trying to help players prepare for life after football.

These are young men, straight out of school, quite possibly forgoing tertiary study/life long career opportunities, to embark on what is a dream, that may never be fulfilled through injury or not being good enough at the game. The average football career is about 5 years and by extension the ability to earn much higher levels of money than might otherwise be earned elsewhere is very short.

Almost certainly players think about that from time to time and I would be surprised if that fear of having a short career, does not weigh on them, sometimes quite heavily.

It makes perfect sense to me then that a coach (or coaching staff/club), that recognises this fear for players and takes steps to address it, is much more likely to have a group of players, who are in a better head space and therefore more likely to be able to better focus on what they are asked to do out on the field.

Player welfare is rightly a much bigger issue than it used to be years ago and every club spends time talking to their players about life after football. That Brad called it a training session is absolutely irrelevant. The time needed and needs to be spent on this sort of stuff and he should not be criticised for what he done on this front.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I am astounded that posters are bagging Scott for trying to help players prepare for life after football.

These are young men, straight out of school, quite possibly forgoing tertiary study/life long career opportunities, to embark on what is a dream, that may never be fulfilled through injury or not being good enough at the game. The average football career is about 5 years and by extension the ability to earn much higher levels of money than might otherwise be earned elsewhere is very short.

Almost certainly players think about that from time to time and I would be surprised if that fear of having a short career, does not weigh on them, sometimes quite heavily.

It makes perfect sense to me then that a coach (or coaching staff/club), that recognises this fear for players and takes steps to address it, is much more likely to have a group of players, who are in a better head space and therefore more likely to be able to better focus on what they are asked to do out on the field.

Player welfare is rightly a much bigger issue than it used to be years ago and every club spends time talking to their players about life after football. That Brad called it a training session is absolutely irrelevant. The time needed and needs to be spent on this sort of stuff and he should not be criticised for what he done on this front.

It's a symptom of prioritizing "solid citizens" and "nanny statism" ahead of good footballers.

Contemporary "player welfare" is 99% bullshit which allows for the insertion of all manner of professional parasites.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I agree that LMAC was playing some of his best footy for a long while in that time period. What is his best role though? Is he a lockdown defender or a possession hunter? I have thought for quite a while he could be very good as a holding midfielder. Great size for the role and he seems to be athletically pretty good.
LMac was a bloody good kick early days. With a skills based approach to training, looking forward to him splitting sides apart with some 50m low balls. He has it in him, just needs the continuity and the skills work on the track. Really feel Shaw will be the making of him - good age, heaps of footy under his belt, always has a red hot crack. He starts hitting his targets, look out. Big year ahead.

Also think that there will be more form based omissions this year, injury free we look to have a little bit of depth with these kids coming through, only enhances the neeed to play well.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Neither here nor there but just interesting seeing the cost cut in camps

Financial strain?

I have been pondering this myself. The end of year financials will be interesting.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Seems like a number of clubs have scrapped the overseas camps. Was all the rage a few years ago.

I did kind of enjoy the videos when the whole group used to trek in the snow. Made it look like our boys were off forming a tight unit in another world.

Carryover to anything tangible on-field? Hard to say.

There'd be a myriad of landscapes and setups within the country a group to be taken for hard training and bonding I guess. Geelong did their training camp in Hotham before 2011 iirc.

It's a symptom of prioritizing "solid citizens" and "nanny statism" ahead of good footballers.

Contemporary "player welfare" is 99% bullshit which allows for the insertion of all manner of professional parasites.

That may be your view, but its not mine. Its a very old-fashioned approach, your's Snake and those sorts of attitudes do not stand scrutiny anymore.

Young people are growing up into a world that is so different to the one that we grew up in and dare I say it, those of us who are much older than the young people in their teens and early 20's now, are to blame for so much of what is confronting young people today.

Young people do not have the security of employment that I certainly had when I entered the workforce; there is no such thing as a job for life.

They face an uncertain future as to just how viable our planet will be to live on due to global warming/climate change, increasingly polluted waterways and atmosphere, partly through indiscriminate use of chemicals and pesticides, a shifting in wealth further into the hands of a few and less in the hands of so many, increasing political corruption and the erosion of some democratic principles.

These are real issues that largely people of my generation brought on and allowed to happen through a combination of ignorance, apathy and an inability to be able to do much to change things.

More and more young people are succumbing to depression and anxiety and in my view little doubt why. Footballers are no different to any other young person, so they are just as much in need of having their welfare looked out for.

But this is the "At training" thread so I will shut up now.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
That may be your view, but its not mine. Its a very old-fashioned approach, your's Snake and those sorts of attitudes do not stand scrutiny anymore.

Young people are growing up into a world that is so different to the one that we grew up in and dare I say it, those of us who are much older than the young people in their teens and early 20's now, are to blame for so much of what is confronting young people today.

Young people do not have the security of employment that I certainly had when I entered the workforce; there is no such thing as a job for life.

They face an uncertain future as to just how viable our planet will be to live on due to global warming/climate change, increasingly polluted waterways and atmosphere, partly through indiscriminate use of chemicals and pesticides, a shifting in wealth further into the hands of a few and less in the hands of so many, increasing political corruption and the erosion of some democratic principles.

These are real issues that largely people of my generation brought on and allowed to happen through a combination of ignorance, apathy and an inability to be able to do much to change things.

More and more young people are succumbing to depression and anxiety and in my view little doubt why. Footballers are no different to any other young person, so they are just as much in need of having their welfare looked out for.

You're better than binary outlook surely?

It's not a matter of dismissing player welfare. It's a matter of scrutinising the messaging and distribution of priorities amongst the coaches and players during Scott's tenure.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Horrie, I have a lot of time for you old fella, and you are worthy of my respect, but the ground still has grass on it, the ball is still ovoid, and the winner is the team that kicks it more times between the sticks at each end of the ground.

..............and success still belongs to those who will compromise least.

Yeah, I wouldn't pot Scott for wanting the best for the players, however, the players have managers who they should listen to for financial planning and financial security after football. In the grand scheme of things if your best memory of a coach was something other than giving you the toolset required to achieve success then he has probably fallen way short of the mark.

That is a problem in how we have failed players since the Pagan era, we haven't given the memories of ultimate success, the type of memories that forge bonds with the club and eachother long after their time, there is going to be no property portfolio reunion, the players will have their individual friendships but it is worth noting Grima's most impactful memories of his football career was winning a flag in the SANFL before we recruited him. I find it sad that we, as a club, have failed so many of our players we hold dear, they should have had better memories and sadly, Scott wasn't a good enough coach to give them better memories, that isn't just on Scott though, our entire club is at fault.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Not the right thread for it but anyways..

Brad tried his guts out to change our on-field success through some ordinary recruiting periods before he started and severely compromised drafts during his 'prime years' so I believe he did a great job with the cards he had been dealt.

Saying that in his last couple of years it looked like he was running/coaching on fumes. Not sure if it was the extra media commitments, the outside of footy commitments, or had he gone too soft on the players and become their mates, or maybe the property portfolio stuff or simply a combination of all?..

This was highlighted when he had back surgery and Crocks took over for a while. The time away from the team and watching them on TV instead made him come back with a whole new mindset and enthusiasm that seen him drop high profile players and make them accountable. We thought the light-bulb moment may have reinvigorated his coaching career, but that steely resolve dropped away quickly, which meant the status quo returned and the rest is history.

Scamper has said all the right things and has the respect of the players all chasing on-field minutes (as all new coaches do) but like all coaches before him he'll be judged on his win/loss record not if his players become wealthy when they retire.

I hope we can put the Scotts bashing to bed and look forward to some great times ahead with a new era under Scamper and the Snoz.

Bring on the training reports and bring on season 2020!

Waynesworld

The poster formerly know as "Waynesworld"
May 28, 2012
At the Chinese takeout.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Werribee
Would it be possible to have a separate thread with just training updates... from people who went? It would be great for all those who can't make it. All the other associated conversation could remain here for those who want to go through it.
That's a great idea. We could call the thread "At training" to ensure people know where to post training updates.

Oh, wait...

Mjs94

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I agree that LMAC was playing some of his best footy for a long while in that time period. What is his best role though? Is he a lockdown defender or a possession hunter? I have thought for quite a while he could be very good as a holding midfielder. Great size for the role and he seems to be athletically pretty good.
The best game he ever played was as an attacking winger against the Lions a couple of years ago. No idea why Brad never played him there again.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

He is a underrated shutdown defender

I believe he would be a awesome tagger. I still stand by that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back