Review At what point do we accept the deck is stacked against us?

Remove this Banner Ad

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ropable about the compo picks and the reality that pick 2 may get us access to the 5th best draftee.

Not to mention a pick 9 potentially floating out to 15.

Then one of the premier full forwards in the league commanding what would probably end up a pick in the thirties whilst a wantaway back flanker could fetch pick 8.

Is it our doing or something more sinister?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ropable about the compo picks and the reality that pick 2 may get us access to the 5th best draftee.

Then one of the premier full forwards in the league commanding what would probably end up a pick in the thirties whilst a wantaway back flanker could fetch pick 8.

1. We arent the AFL love children - GC, GWS and Sydney.
2. We arent a ‘big’ club to earn millions of $’s from Premiership merchandise.
3. We’re currently the media boxing bag.
4. We’ve always been up against it, we’ll do it the hard way and when we do its 🖕🖕🖕 to all of them.

1. We arent the AFL love children - GC, GWS and Sydney.
2. We arent a ‘big’ club to earn millions of $’s from Premiership merchandise.
3. We’re currently the media boxing bag.
4. We’ve always been up against it, we’ll do it the hard way and when we do its to all of them.

But are beneficiaries like st kilda or Melbourne?

The Final where we knocked Richmond out (seems in a galaxy far far away now) the AFL came out the next week and said they will probably lose $1 million dollars . I knew then what we were up against.

Last edited:
But are beneficiaries like st kilda or Melbourne?

Not really they’ve been stuck where we are currently for while but they’re coming out of it now and are attracting good vetrans and FA’s.

Our time will come.

We will break the deck and jam it up their arse Le Grille.

Hold on mate and you'll see it.

Will be a beautiful thing.

Oh I ain’t going anywhere

And if we pull it off I’ll be letting all and sundry know.

Weirdly it’s the only reason I’m still interested

It does get frustrating at times, I agree, but it ain’t changing in the near future. It’s all part of supporting this club, we get given nothin and never have.
Our admin have made some shocking calls over the years, the travelling kangaroos, changing our name and dropping north melb from it etc, but they’ve all been made with an attempt to change our brand......just hasn’t come off.
Absolute no disrespect to Shaw, but I think our attempts to play a dour slow type of football has been detrimental somewhat to our ethos as a footy club this year.....we can’t afford to play footy that way IMO
I’ve just got a feeling we are about to enter a great era at North, don’t know why, but just the under 23 group looks a bit special. There a couple there that have played only a handful of games, but I see things in them that you really want to see in a young footballer, and that is courage and preparedness to take the game on. We get a few more like them and lookout.

But yeah, we get shafted. And the 3 who could be our biggest voices in the media, Carey(has issues), JB(issues) and Kingy(tries too hard to be funny about North but it’s changing), don’t really do what other past players do in the media for their past club.
it’s prob ably the thing that saddens me most about Higgo going to to the cats......he wont end up like Dal Santo and virtually ignore his last club, but could possibly become known as “Former Geelong Star” or “Geelong premiership Player”. FFS.

It's easy supporting a big club. When the odds are against you it makes the premierships much more sweeter.

We will find a way, and when we do it will be worth much more to our supporters than those who have had a cruisier journey.

Our 23 and unders have a spark. Coaching needs to fall in line and I will be all in on our next tilt.

It sucks, but the compo system has been rorted since inception. I don't think that's part of any sinister agenda to displace North a few spots in the draft.

We pushed Brown out - far different to a player wanting out for money we can't afford - that's of our own doing. If Brown's contract got him to free agent status in 2021 or 2022 and he had a couple of good years that could very well have been us getting two picks in the top 3.

The AFL needs to sort out the rort but in terms of this instance being a 'stacking of the decks' against North, I think that we're playing with the same deck as everyone else in that regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean, we don't make money from pokies, constantly embarrass the media about rumours, don't ask the AFL for assistance when 'more relevant' clubs have done so, and we made a profit despite the major setbacks this season when some clubs would be happy with a million-dollar loss.

We are purely just about being the club that doesn't succumb to the temptations of a 'sour and dirty side of footy'. Ever since we didn't take the GC deal, we have been the first club to be shat on by the media constantly and we arguably consistently had one of the toughest starting draws after refusing to relocate. Probably why Brad had such a poor record at the start of the season lol.

Also accusing the AFL Umpiring dept about Lindsay being ignored for high free kicks, that woulda stung.

Also factor in how Hawthorn have been screwed by free agency.

Lost buddy for pick 18. I mean really.

Drop from pick 4, to 5 and maybe 6.

Frawley, maybe the poster child of the stupidity of free agency, actually benefited Melbourne not really the hawks. He’s probably the best they have got under the system.

The just lost Smith.

And they missed out on Corr :)

Also factor in how Hawthorn have been screwed by free agency.

Lost buddy for pick 18. I mean really.

Drop from pick 4, to 5 and maybe 6.

Frawley, maybe the poster child of the stupidity of free agency, actually benefited Melbourne not really the hawks. He’s probably the best they have got under the system.

The just lost Smith.

And they missed out on Corr :)

:D:D:D

Le Grille, when was it ever any different?

We're the little kid in the playground that has been backed in to the wall, and mark my words, we will come out swinging. Again.

They will keep trying to knock us down, and we will just keep getting up. I wouldn't have it any other way.

1604096226220.png

Look mate, someone decided it was a good idea to put a feminist sociologist on the NMFC board and then have them involved in picking a coach, so you can't just go looking at some bizarre AFL conspiracy here.

The deck has been stacked against us from year dot.
The AFL are getting what they wanted....Big Victorian clubs are again getting stronger, interstate clubs are becoming viable and the lesser clubs are holding on....Prior to the AFL it looks like the early VFL 80's again......

If you think we have anywhere near an even run at the premiership you don't understand how the truly professional national competition is.

You are also short changing yourself in terms of the joy success should give you.

There's a great line about it in Moneyball. “The pleasure of rooting for Goliath is that you can expect to win. The pleasure of rooting for David is that, while you don't know what to expect, you stand at least a chance of being inspired.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back