Sports At what point do you actually support a sports team?

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought they called it the BPL, as in B for Britain, because of Swansea and for a little while Cardiff City FC being in the comp.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

not to my understanding, there was a lot of angry englishmen whinging at foreigners still calling it the BPL even after the re-branding. Might be wrong, but I've never heard it referred to as the British Premier League

richmond- picked them as a small child purely for the tiger mascot and logo was taken to my first game young and was hooked. emotions change depending on how we play and since we are s**t 95% of the time im a moody prick. watch every single game buy memberships for me and family members but haven't attented in the last 2 years because of medical reasons

manchester united- grew up in the northern suburbs of melbourne and its soccer crazy so was hooked on the game from a young age but never really had a team until i caught a man united game on sbs. we lost the game 3-1 but a young becks scored a great free kick goal and that was my team. also helped that they had a scottish manager since my whole family is scottish. watch every single game live no matter the time as well as pre season friendlies. and every bit of transfer news. unlike richmond the team has been mostly succesful in my time of supporting them so it always cheered me up after a richmond loss.

cricket- watch every aussie test match. but check the scores for t20's and odi's. picked the stars because of warnie but don't really care if they lose

basketball-haven't found a team that i really support mostly watched mj at the bulls and then kobe at the lakers but had no genuine emotion towards the teams only team i cant stand is the cavs because of lebron

nrl- watch most storm games but don't get as upset if they lose but do enjoy when they win especially for salty nsw tears

I would definitely consider myself an essendon supporter. Started going for them when i was young because my dad & grandad did & we would go down to a game maybe once a year, plus watched on the tv with dad.
I am a member now, watch most bombers games & enjoy spending time on bigfooty reading/discussing the team.'

I am not like most of the others on here however, i don't get how the team losing puts you in a bad mood or any of that s**t. just seems really strange to me. I like the spectacle & excitement of the games, but as soon as they are done so am I.

I have a bit of an interest in the nba & nhl. nba I dont support any teams, i don't watch it enough so when i do i don't really care who is playing. have a few i'm interested in but don't support anyone. I do have a hockey team that i try and follow - picked them because i went to one of their home games - but i wouldn't count myself a real supporter

I would definitely consider myself an essendon supporter. Started going for them when i was young because my dad & grandad did & we would go down to a game maybe once a year, plus watched on the tv with dad.
I am a member now, watch most bombers games & enjoy spending time on bigfooty reading/discussing the team.'

I am not like most of the others on here however, i don't get how the team losing puts you in a bad mood or any of that s**t. just seems really strange to me. I like the spectacle & excitement of the games, but as soon as they are done so am I.

I have a bit of an interest in the nba & nhl. nba I dont support any teams, i don't watch it enough so when i do i don't really care who is playing. have a few i'm interested in but don't support anyone. I do have a hockey team that i try and follow - picked them because i went to one of their home games - but i wouldn't count myself a real supporter
Yeah being in a bad mood for ages because of my team losing seems real immature to me. I was grumpy when we lost the 2015 GF for the day but was fine the next day. Same for the 2016 EF final.

I don't care when Freo lose anymore, I just expect it. What makes me angry is when the club re-sign a deadshit coach despite continually worsening results, and then when I go on Bigfooty and people try telling me Matt Taberner is anything but complete rubbish. Nothing makes me angrier than the disillusionment and contentment of Dockers supporters.

People who change teams because their new bf/gf follows a different team, have seen it happen a few times. Nothing is more cringe worthy than that.

Collingwood, passionate, will miss out on most things to go to a game.

Newcastle, passionate albeit not heavily until the last few years, lived there instead of London when I went to England so I could go to the matches.

OKC, not so passionate, I was personally offended when KD left and threw out my jersey but I don't get shitty when they lose.

Collingwood, passionate, will miss out on most things to go to a game.

Newcastle, passionate albeit not heavily until the last few years, lived there instead of London when I went to England so I could go to the matches.

OKC, not so passionate, I was personally offended when KD left and threw out my jersey but I don't get shitty when they lose.
What Magpies came first?

What Magpies came first?

Collingwood, then chose Newcastle based on that.

The passion for the Toon definitely grew after seeing them live week in, week out. Well mostly week in, getting tickets to away matches is tough unless you're a long-time season ticket holder but I did manage to see us at both West Brom and Norwich.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought they called it the BPL, as in B for Britain, because of Swansea and for a little while Cardiff City FC being in the comp.

That's not the case, as there are leagues in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. A few teams play in leagues outside their own country, but Swansea (PL), Cardiff (Championship) and Newport (League 2) are the only ones anyone notices. Wrexham (Wales) used to hover around the lower leagues but have dropped out of the top 4 divisions. With the recent re-branding they've changed the divisions to EFL Championship and EFL League 1/2. The Premier League is still a separate entity despite basically just being a tier in the system and doesn't get the EFL prefix.

Rangers and Celtic have been mooted to join the PL many times. That would completely kill the SPFL.

That's not the case, as there are leagues in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. A few teams play in leagues outside their own country, but Swansea (PL), Cardiff (Championship) and Newport (League 2) are the only ones anyone notices. Wrexham (Wales) used to hover around the lower leagues but have dropped out of the top 4 divisions. With the recent re-branding they've changed the divisions to EFL Championship and EFL League 1/2. The Premier League is still a separate entity despite basically just being a tier in the system and doesn't get the EFL prefix.

Rangers and Celtic have been mooted to join the PL many times. That would completely kill the SPFL.
Bra I know all this. I was wrong. I just thought it was B for British because a few places like newspapers and the ABC used it a few times from memories, yet they rarely ever call things by their sponsorship names.

I support Reading when I can but its hard to watch any games being in the Championship. I only get to see a couple a year but keep up on updates during the week.

No, it was some blonde girl at my kinder. Isabella. She now lives in Newcastle and I don't have any of her contact details :(
Brah you have the name, asl and hair colour. In this day and age what else is needed?

Not that I'm encouraging the stalking of this girl or anything...

Interesting thread.

I've always had an interest in a majority of the major sports although one I just never have been able to get onto is American Football. It doesn't help that I don't understand the game either. I watch the Superbowl and enjoy that barrack for a team while watching it usually, however I don't have an actual "team" like I do in other leagues.

The order is pretty simple:

AFL - St Kilda - will always be the biggest and the best sport in my life. If everything else disappeared, I could deal with it. Without AFL, it's like what's the ******* point? My passion for St Kilda is reflected by name - either this one or the old one.

Cricket - Renegades in big bash - It feels like I support St Kilda all year round by watching this team - but I wouldn't go for another team. Everyone goes for the Stars and frankly that shits me a little bit because you hardly hear anything about the Renegades. I feel like the Gades are the proper domestic side and the Stars are the international side. And trust me if they lose the final, I'll be sooking until St Kilda are 0-3 in the real season because that would mean we actually made it and lost it which really would be typical for the Renegades.

Bushrangers - Have followed them for over two decades now and watched back when we couldn't for the life of us win the one day tournament but now mainly only barrack for us to win the Sheffield Shield. I must admit, the last few years my interest in this has been waning however.

From here, it's pretty minor interest only in the rest.

Melbourne Storm in rugby league - yes they are the only Melbourne side though I have been "supporting" them since 1999 - that finals series was akin to Bulldogs last year - just seeing them defeat team after team and win against the odds. When they lost their premierships, I was pretty upset about it to be honest but I've never been a member - I've never even gone to a game. Though I've always wanted to.

Casual interest in Melbourne Victory for A-League. Again, since their inception, so I've barracked for them in all their finals.

Then I just have teams I've picked in other leagues.

Orlando Magic in NBA - basketball really doesn't excite me so much, its more the players than the teams but I take notice when a news bulletin tells me Orlando won (not often these days)

ANd finally Everton in the Premier League - mainly because I wanted to pick a team that wasn't Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea or Man U. I saw someone on Saintsational (ugh) with Everton as their team and picked it. Though I do keep a bit more of an eye on that than other ones.

truly, though. I support St Kilda, renegades, bushrangers and to a lesser extent the Storm.

I would love to see a cricket competition that went for half a year. But it would have to be all T20s and BCCI wouldn't agree to it. The closest we have is the IPL which runs for 2 months.

Well County Cricket used to have 16 four day games + a final, two one day competitions and a Twenty20 Cup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back