At what point is Pyke responsible for his coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
His assistants have endured many years of not being all that good. They started under the Neil Craig years and remain to this day.

If Don Pyke is a gun coach and strategist, did he just happen to walk into the best assistant crew or is he a complete fraud?
Is it them or him?

Sadly, they'll easily outlast him. But, Pyke, you deserve failure by embracing failure. You'll be goneband both Campo and Clarke will remain.

It's a loss:loss:win.

Nobody wins.

His assistants have endured many years of not being all that good. They started under the Neil Craig years and remain to this day.

If Don Pyke is a gun coach and strategist, did he just happen to walk into the best assistant crew or is he a complete fraud?
Is it them or him?

Sadly, they'll easily outlast him. But, Pyke, you deserve failure by embracing failure. You'll be goneband both Campo and Clarke will remain.

It's a loss:loss:win.

Nobody wins.
He tried to land Longmuir, he was knocked back due to Roo having a cheaper option..... his mate Ben.

A tough one as he inherited the Walsh group who all had contracts.

This off season will be telling.

Personally I don't think it matters, Pyke won't take us anywhere now apart from some mid table finishes.

Every coach since Craig has had roughly the same panel, give or take 1 or 2 guys.

There needs to be a good clean-out that's for sure. Honestly I will be disappointed if any of the assistant coaches besides Francou is back next year. That won't happen, Clarkes AFLW appointment guarantees he will be back.

A tough one as he inherited the Walsh group who all had contracts.

This off season will be telling.

Personally I don't think it matters, Pyke won't take us anywhere now apart from some mid table finishes.

He didn't inherit the Walsh group, he inherited the Sando/Craig group. Walsh didn't get the chance to re-jig his coaching group.

I think once the Death Stare stops working..... he’s out of ideas

He's got that and re-ramping up continuity. It's only after that he's out of ideas. Continuity is failing him. Honestly, could he be any more Neil Craig? Is he taking the piss? Just a s**t coach that is out of ideas.

Just by the way, these idiots blamed the players after the GF and didn't accept any responsibility. There's an issue there.

He's got that and re-ramping up continuity. It's only after that he's out of ideas. Continuity is failing him. Honestly, could he be any more Neil Craig? Is he taking the piss? Just a s**t coach that is out of ideas.

Just by the way, these idiots blamed the players after the GF and didn't accept any responsibility. There's an issue there.
Even if the players did put in a s**t effort, a true leader puts their hand up and says that the buck stops with them. There is a total leadership vacuum at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Teague has been a huge loss to the coaching panel. Our forward line has become our biggest weakness now. Even in the preseason this started becoming apparent.

Even if the players did put in a s**t effort, a true leader puts their hand up and says that the buck stops with them. There is a total leadership vacuum at the club.

The players didn't put in a s**t effort. They were handicapped by the coaches, worked their asses off, but were outgunned by running power. Our mids got their fair share of the ball, but our 6 were up against their 12. Going in with 3 talls at both ends plus Otto screwed us before the ball was bounced.

But, our culture is to blame the players for not turning up. I'm sure the coaches did the same. Because, they're perfect, no problems there.

Pyk3 is reaping what he's sowed.

People wrote him off half way through last year and then he made a grand final.

Might not be the messiah but hes what we've got and no good comes or changing coaches every few years until you strike gold.

Not advocating a ten year hardwickesque show of faith mind you.

I reckon Teague has been a huge loss to the coaching panel. Our forward line has become our biggest weakness now. Even in the preseason this started becoming apparent.
Pods too. Our defensive structure last season worked a tee and is now a deadset shambles. That's what you get though for replacing him with the guy who was shown the door at Collingwood because of how utterly s**t their defensive structures were.

Last edited:
People wrote him off half way through last year and then he made a grand final.

Might not be the messiah but hes what we've got and no good comes or changing coaches every few years until you strike gold.

Not advocating a ten year hardwickesque show of faith mind you.
Not 10 years, but at least to the end of his next deal IF we go out and hire quality coaches, fitness staff and a head of football to support him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back