Athletes barred from political grandstanding at 2020 Tokyo Olympics

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
"The International Olympic Committee on Thursday published a strict set of guidelines that bars competitors participating in the upcoming 32nd Olympics in Tokyo from using the world stage for political protests."

"That means no political displays like signs and armbands, no gestures 'of a political nature' — including taking a knee or making hand gestures, like a raised fist — and no refusing to follow protocol at Olympic ceremonies or 'on the field of play,' the three-page document said."

Attachments

• Rule-50-Guidelines-Tokyo-2020.pdf
    210.8 KB · Views: 96
"The International Olympic Committee on Thursday published a strict set of guidelines that bars competitors participating in the upcoming 32nd Olympics in Tokyo from using the world stage for political protests."

"That means no political displays like signs and armbands, no gestures 'of a political nature' — including taking a knee or making hand gestures, like a raised fist — and no refusing to follow protocol at Olympic ceremonies or 'on the field of play,' the three-page document said."

This has been the IOC view for years.

Not even Eurovision is safe these days so we should celebrate the few politics free spaces left in the world of sports/entertainment.
I want to enjoy more s**t without having someones political opinion jammed down my throat, everyone needs to STFU already, it's getting old.

The IOC made it's own bed with regards to athletes and fans bringing politics into their events. They want their cake and eat it too.

Just like FIFA and the NBA.

The IOC made it's own bed with regards to athletes and fans bringing politics into their events. They want their cake and eat it too.

Just like FIFA and the NBA.

They don't allow it. Peter Norman was blackballed by the Olympic movement thanks to 1968 pretty much until death. There was even talk of punishing Freeman for the indigenous flag in 2000

The ioc has been hyper sensitive to any political messaging at its games for decades now. They don't want it, full stop

FIFA do this as well. I’m glad we live in a world where ethical organisations like the IOC and FIFA have the moral fibre to be above politics.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are pure as the driven snow. Just saying the politics ban is a long established one

Without researching it, is guess a lot goes back to Berlin and how the Nazis successfully used those games as a party political event. As some of the most replayed Olympics footage we have, it's a look and a circumstance I suspect a lot of the IOC don't want repeated (even when they had a Franco loving freak in charge)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are pure as the driven snow. Just saying the politics ban is a long established one

Without researching it, is guess a lot goes back to Berlin and how the Nazis successfully used those games as a party political event. As some of the most replayed Olympics footage we have, it's a look and a circumstance I suspect a lot of the IOC don't want repeated (even when they had a Franco loving freak in charge)
Understood what you meant. Most sporting administrations are incredibly corrupt. Those that engage in political issues such as the AFL, often do so with commercial objectives in mind.

Organisations such FIFA and the IOC which don’t, likely have such a policy because it allows them to wipe their hands of serious issues and award World Cups and Olympics Games to nefarious human rights abusing countries such as Russia, China and Qatar.

Understood what you meant. Most sporting administrations are incredibly corrupt. Those that engage in political issues such as the AFL, often do so with commercial objectives in mind.

Organisations such FIFA and the IOC which don’t, likely have such a policy because it allows them to wipe their hands of serious issues and award World Cups and Olympics Games to nefarious human rights abusing countries such as Russia, China and Qatar.

Don't disagree with this at all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back