Athletics faces new doping crisis after ‘biggest leak’ of test results

Remove this Banner Ad

This is why I laugh at Olympians who whinge about the AFL's testing regime.

You ain't going to get caught if you have some very strong science behind you. Armstrong only ever turned in 1 positive test (pretty sure it was 1, and it was covered up) despite the amount of doping and tests he did.

But they have been caught - isn't that the point? Might be years (even decades) later, but the science caught up with them.

The problem is that when you have the sport governing body in charge of sanctions, then it becomes a massive conflict of interest. Let's be honest, if you were the IAAF you'd want to cover it up too. 55 World and Olympic champions stripped of their gold medals? It'd bring them to their knees, if they're lucky.

I don't quite get your first sentence though. There are guys in athletics in this country alone that have copped bans for not advising the hotel what room they are in.

Interesting. Does the colour represent a medal? If so, what Australian athlete has won in aths in the last 4 Olympics?

Steve Hooker is the only male I can think of. Bit weird it only says 'athletics' and not the event like everyone else - except the 'road' for the guy above. For that reason i'm guessing the yellow doesn't mean a medal.
Half marathon is also a bit weird because it's not an event at the Olympics or world champs. There is a half marathon world championship though.

What is this and where did it come from and why does it just say athletics when other entries in the column have events???

Half marathon arent part of the olympics or world championships. So would have been the result from those mass events where the elite athletes go first and then the masses.

For Parisotto to be alarmed means the percentage of potential positives must be bloody high. His team that developed the urine and blood EPO tests 8 months before Sydney was allowed to take blood samples at Sydney of the 3,000 endurance athletes across all sports. They took 300 samples and got 7 positives for EPO but did the tests a couple of years after the games as per the rules the IOC allowed. The IOC implemented his team's EPO urine test for Sydney but not the blood tests. As he said in his 2006 book Blood Sports- its not unreasonable to think 70 positives if the full 3,000 endurance athletes were tested. Even at 2% that would have been enough to shut down the Sydney Olympics. No way could the games have survived a positive test announcement every 4 or 5 hours after the first 24 hours of competition.

Of course the problem now is that athletes will continue to dope with substances that are currently undetectable until the anti doping scientists catch up with them........

Yep, that's why it's important to really hammer the dopers if they're found out 10 years later. Strip their medals and wipe their names from the record books.
The only deterrent for not getting involved in the cutting edge stuff is getting found out years later. If authorities are going to do nothing because it was ages ago, then you may as well legalise stuff you can't test for now.

They made a big deal about Usian Bolt having normal results but I wouldn't have thought this kind of doping would have benefited him greatly anyway surely, being endurance based? Or am I wrong? I'm happy that Mo Farah appears to be clean though.

a guy, or gal, called blackcat upload_2015-8-3_15-8-4.png cat emoji posted this on another fora, no relation

i think i may start a new thread with an OP something like this.

how does one compete in professional sports where you can start at 10% performance improvement for doping, and then rise to over 20% on the most comprehensive doping.* the caveats are i) how do you measure this? re: the metric function, and ii) what about the neuro muscular and fine coordination movement ball sports

well, when one appraises all the timed events in the olympics in track&field and swimming and track cycling, and sees what a 5% difference makes let alone a 10% of a difference. Most of the podiums in these sports are differentiated by a fraction of 1%. Not 1%, but a fraction of a single percent.

Then overlay a sociology lens on the peloton, or on the American track&field team, and analyse how the norms are no different than any other sub-culture.

then study a psychology archetype of a professional sportsman, or sportswoman, and how their worldview and self-identity is constructed!

and then blackcat will channel Jan Ullrich the grand german polymath and say, if you cant add 2 and 2 together, I cant help you.

so... 33% have funny blood numbers. But another 66% manage their blood numbers successfully and stay beneath the threshold.

They made a big deal about Usian Bolt having normal results but I wouldn't have thought this kind of doping would have benefited him greatly anyway surely, being endurance based? Or am I wrong? I'm happy that Mo Farah appears to be clean though.
EPO, CERA etc only helps endurance athletes. Parrisotto and Ashenden were only asked to check the blood sample results for athletes from 800m running walking events up and combined event athletes. I dont know if the original Sunday Times article talked about Usain Bolt but no surprise dopey media talking about Bolt not being involved. When this has nothing to do with sprinters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just wish that the bombers fans would answer my question as to how did the Essendon club lost the paperwork that showed the substances the players were injected with were legal.
cos its a stupid question. they did not lose the paperwork, they did not lose their memory of their intent and strategic planning on performance.

they did their due dilligence post-facto, when they originally thought they had cover, because the AFL and Ian Collins* would cover them, so they had to rejig the due dilligence. (*channeling 1990s example).

The risk management never allowed for the Feds and customs, and Julia Gillard needing to get a switch on the front of the national papers. Some of these factors should have been part of the risk awareness, some of them were not foreseen like the political climate in canberra. But this is why risk management should build in unforeseen counterfactuals, or Donny Rumsfeld's unknown unknowns. I dont hold it against Windy Hill, because it was rugby teams in Sydney, and Gold Coast Suns also that had such carelessness.

What would you expect of Essendon? Would you expect them to handover material that would indict them and have the playing list all get two year bans? Or destroy the guilty material? use your brain here ;) I know, its taxing. If you ask a stupid question, you will get a stupid answer. This is a meta answer, explaining what you are asking, and where the premise lies[pun tender'ed]. The ziggy report was a limited hangout. The other teams auditing their "supps" program, more limited hangout. dont believe how rigorous norf were with the paperwork, its all limited hangout. You dont go to the tax office with all your bookkeeping and tell them about your dual set of books and where you have squirreled away the profits.

Last edited:
Yep, that's why it's important to really hammer the dopers if they're found out 10 years later. Strip their medals and wipe their names from the record books.
The only deterrent for not getting involved in the cutting edge stuff is getting found out years later. If authorities are going to do nothing because it was ages ago, then you may as well legalise stuff you can't test for now.
will never happen. they have enough urine in frozen vats. more than haagen daaz even. but they wont test them. why commit hari kari if u aint pearl harbour or midway

EPO, CERA etc only helps endurance athletes. Parrisotto and Ashenden were only asked to check the blood sample results for athletes from 800m running walking events up and combined event athletes. I dont know if the original Sunday Times article talked about Usain Bolt but no surprise dopey media talking about Bolt not being involved. When this has nothing to do with sprinters.
yeah, they were talking about blood parameters no?

so lets go to the sprint events and field events, and can we have some longitudinal testing for the androgens and hormones and other metabolites in the urine.

I guarantee you a guy or gal boffin well versed in the testing sciences, could look at a sample of urine passed thru the mass spec gas chromatography and say "NOT NORMAL" or, normal enough. They could see if something is going on with the individuals physiology with an abnormal sample. But you can still dope as long as you maintain doping within thresholds, because the testing regime is set up in favour of preventing false positives, so they allow alot of ambiguously non-negative samples thru to the keeper.

Last edited:

Yeah well I just assume that Bolt would have to be juicing, if you are dominating a drug infested sport you must be on it too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back