Atkins...im starting to turn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved his running goal, the way he pointed to where he wanted the ball to be placed by Lyons. That's the type of quick thinking you can't teach. He wasn't just thinking give me the ball and I'll try do something, like a dangerfield does, he thought give me the ball over there and I'll have enough space to kick the goal on my left foot. He's starting to remind me of Simon Black.
That was a thing of beauty. Really showed off his footy IQ demanding the ball like that.

Found out this week that someone i have dealings with, knows quite a few of the Crows, and is friendly with the Rat.

Turns out, earlier in the season when he and Brad were busted for the drinky-drinky motion, it was only B-Rad that was busted: Atkins put up his hand and said he'd been out drinking too, he wasn't going to let his mate take the fall alone.

Integrity. Man-Crush.

Found out this week that someone i have dealings with, knows quite a few of the Crows, and is friendly with the Rat.

Turns out, earlier in the season when he and Brad were busted for the drinky-drinky motion, it was only B-Rad that was busted: Atkins put up his hand and said he'd been out drinking too, he wasn't going to let his mate take the fall alone.

Integrity. Man-Crush.

We fly as one.:p

Rat in the AFL Team of the Week - great effort!

View attachment 240299
RORY ATKINS (Adelaide) – One of the Crows' best attacking defenders, Atkins was brilliant against the Hawks and gathered 27 possessions, 13 of them contested, while also driving the ball inside 50 six times.
Umm didn't he play on the wing?

Integrity. Man-Crush.
Um. Sort of integrity...

He was a lot better in the Sydney game imo. Found the ball a lot but didn't use it well. Weird they put him in this week.

Still, I guess the knock on him so far is his ability to rack up possessions so that's a positive. He won't have too many poor disposal games

Integrity. Man-Crush.

I remember someone, he calls himself a journalist but its in name only as he closely resembles the pimple on the arse of a journalist, was trying to infer internal problems within the playing group since someone told on Brad etc. I guess his focus was on the wrong club.

This fella makes me feel a lot better about Grigg not coming on! Absolute gun and has found some real composure, missed that easy kick into the forward line in the last but that will come

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was a lot better in the Sydney game imo. Found the ball a lot but didn't use it well. Weird they put him in this week.

Still, I guess the knock on him so far is his ability to rack up possessions so that's a positive. He won't have too many poor disposal games
Thought the same - decision making seemed a bit off.

Thought the same - decision making seemed a bit off.

I counted three kicks under little pressure that he miffed, mostly by overcooking the kick... but he did a lot of work, when he settles into the level of being the guy who gets 25-30 touches in a game, which probably won't take long, his magical disposal efficiency will turn on i think.

He certainly played permanent wing R1-3. But last 2 games he seems to have had a greater licence to roam.

Was hard to pin point exactly where he was on Fri.
Seems to be working back from the wing and pushing hard into defence. Imagine he was slotting in across half back at times too but it was hard to tell on tv. He has actually been reasonable overhead which is a nice surprise.

His best 2 games this year have been the highest pressure too. Really pleasing as he looks to be a real talent. His overhead ability has also been a surprise for me. I think he must have a long wingspan as he's effect a few really nice spoils from awkward positions.

Lyons shows some absolute class at times but just doesn't seem to get himself to the right place often enough like other slow midfielders like Sam Mitchell or Scott Thompson do.
True...

But he hasn't even played 50 games yet. How many did he play as the sub? He shows class, that's a pretty good start.

Getting to the right place? Well that's something he does need to improve on, but he is only 23(?) and has been dominating sanfl. He hasn't needed to learn to be better. Now he has a reason, a spot in the side.
If we are saying the same things in 10 games time then I agree, but I'm not ready to strike a line through him just yet.

I just feel he offers a point of differences for our clearances.

I thought that too. He used it much better against Sydney. There is taking risks, which is what we want, and then taking some of the decisions he made against the Hawks. That will come with experience though. The fact he had the confidence to not just blaze away and was actually taking time and trying to pinpoint team mates against Hawthorn is a good thing, even if some of the attempts were a tad overzealous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back