Atkins out - will explore free agency

Remove this Banner Ad

If he does want to go to the Gold Coast suns it would be a shame because I think he would be a great fit for us

If he does want to go to the Gold Coast suns it would be a shame because I think he would be a great fit for us

There is an easy solution. Throw more money at Atkins. ;)

0 surprise, none at all.

I'm not sad to see the back of Rat, but I'd have kept him over Mackay in a heart beat. Just age alone should make that obvious.
Is David Mackay the AFC's "Five Monkey Experiment"? Our coaches and list managers just keep playing him and renewing him because that's what everyone else has done in the past and there must be a reason?

Last edited:
Or is it the case of he isn't getting picked because he wants to leave?

Us bringing him back for North and then immediately discarding him was certainly off.
That was about Nicks making a point of how useless Gibbs & Atkins were, and proving that he was right not to be selecting them.

If we take off the whipping boy glasses, Mackay has actually been ok/decent in a sh*t season. Not great (though he's never been that), but not atrocious either. Arguably deserves another year just for depth and a calming senior presence.

Mackay was one of our better players last year if we're all honest.

Remember when we couldn't wait for the 4 years to end? He's going to end up with another 4 on top of that.

All the talk about rebuilding yet we'll be cutting a younger player this year so that we can keep David Mackay who will turn 33 next year on our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What kid is going to miss out because of DM.
This is what will annoy me - I understand he is a senior calm voice and shows high standards etc - but its time to cut the cord

Hire him as a development coach instead of scooter

This is what will annoy me - I understand he is a senior calm voice and shows high standards etc - but its time to cut the cord

Hire him as a development coach instead of scooter

Surely if he's so valued for his standards off the field, he'll be in high demand at many clubs in a Luke Hodge type role. Maybe even a development coach.

Or do only we see his value?

Someone said on our forum it is a three horse race for Atkins and it’s between Carlton, Melbourne and us interesting if true

Last thing I remember him doing in 2017 was ripping off Tex's free to take the advantage when there was none, getting tackled immediately, which led to Richmond's first goal and giving them much needed momentum.
Ah *, I had erased that from my memory until now, damn you!

Interesting that the media has it Atkins wanting to leave.

Feels more like A you won't be picked issue
Of course they are, it’s the easy narrative for them as it requires no research but generates clicks. He needed to have an absolutely above average year to get a new contract here given we had the likes of Hamill and Sholl to get games into.

The way the article reads it appears it appears that he's out effective immediately.

It's an interesting move for the club to make with games still remaining in the season.
I heard a TripleM news segment saying disagreements between him and Nicks the reason for us letting him go.

Won’t get too many pick 81’s as good as he has been.

All the best Rat.
He was reputed to be a potential high level talented draft pick but attitude problems made clubs shy away from him and we thought why not? at pick 81. It was a bit a of boy-off-the-tracks-got-redeemed story and made a good living at Crows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back