Teams Atlanta Falcons - The Dirty Birds

Remove this Banner Ad

Ready for a great season this year. Hopefully we score some impressive wins early in the season to gain some confidence.

Different path as I wanted, same result ;)
Heading into the draft last year I'm saying, trade out of the 1st and get a 2014 1st round pick, use 2 to go up for Clowney.
But I guess we can just tank away 2013 to get it on our own and have better position later in the draft ;)

Now lets get the tank full on and trade out Gonzo to the Patriots or Chiefs! He should either retire as a Chief or a super bowl champion and I can see the Pats improving with Gonzo in that team.

Gonzo will get his RING. I'm GUARANTEEING IT!! It'll be a a HOF endorsed BLING tho' but you also EARN a BUST in Canton. That's gotta be worth more than just being remembered for playing for teams that didn't quite make it.

I like what Gonzo's brothers choice of car endorsement... :thumbsu:

Weatherspoon is done for the year but I'm not convinced that its going to be a huge loss due to the 3-4 base defence shift. Feel for the guy though, he would have been playing for a new contract and he's been robbed of the opportunity. Hopefully Bartu and Worrilow can step up once again.

The Falcons have also been selected for Hard Knocks, 5 one hour episodes on HBO - very exciting to see the inner workings of my favourite team.

Im a Falcons fan- but cant say I watch the NFL very closely as far as knowing the ins and outs. How do other falcons fans think we will go this season?

Offence is good enough to take us playoff bound.
Defence is s**t enough that they can take us draft pick #1 bound.

I'm thinking about 9-7 to 11-5 season. On the verge of playoffs, probably just missing.

Though, if we get injuries like last year, 2-14 isn't out of the question.

Apologies that this article will put everyone to sleep :p

NFL football in Atlanta turns 49 on Monday
Posted by Mike Wilkening on June 30, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwi2mdm3mjyzmwi1yta1zdg1mdg3zweyztbmmtrlmzyy-e1404143985595.jpeg
Getty Images
The NFL came to Atlanta 49 years ago Monday, with the league awarding a franchise to a group led by the late Rankin M. Smith on this date in 1965.

The club, eventually named the Falcons, would begin play in 1966 in Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, a home shared with Major League Baseball’s Atlanta Braves, who moved from Milwaukee after the 1965 campaign.

The Falcons struggled at the start. They were a combined 6-35-1 in their first three seasons, and they did not have a winning season until 1971. Their first postseason berth wouldn’t come until 1978, when they defeated the Eagles in Round One and pushed the eventual NFC-champion Cowboys in a seven-point loss in Round Two. However, Atlanta would not win another playoff game for another 13 seasons.

Finally, in 1998, the Falcons broke through, stunning the Vikings as big underdogs in the NFC title game before falling to Denver in Super Bowl XXXIII. The next season, though, the Falcons slid backwards, posting a 5-11 mark, the first of three straight losing campaigns.

Sustaining success was long a problem for Atlanta. The franchise didn’t post back-to-back winning seasons in any of its first four decades of existence. But then came the club’s strongest run to date — five straight winning seasons, including four playoff berths, from 2008 through 2012. Still, truly special prosperity eluded the Falcons, with the team winning just one postseason game in these five campaigns.

Nevertheless, as they near their 50th birthday, the Falcons are in good health. A new stadium is on the way to replace the Georgia Dome, their home for just a little more than two decades. The franchise has strong leadership, with owner Arthur Blank, G.M. Thomas Dimitroff and coach Mike Smith all playing key roles in the team’s recent ascent. The roster has a good deal of talent, especially on offense, with quarterback Matt Ryan entering his prime.

When it comes to Atlanta and football, the collegiate game may first jump to mind. There aren’t many other major U.S. cities, if any at all, where the pulse of college football beats so strongly. But the pro game is well-established in Atlanta, too, and the roots are only growing deeper.

And here I thought the lack of activity in this thread did it itself.
I miss when we were under the radar.
Now we have GG going out of his way to follow this team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Offence is good enough to take us playoff bound.
Defence is s**t enough that they can take us draft pick #1 bound.

I'm thinking about 9-7 to 11-5 season. On the verge of playoffs, probably just missing.

Though, if we get injuries like last year, 2-14 isn't out of the question.
And the injuries hit the OL. Making our offence useless :(

Glanville's eye-opening explanation of trading Favre

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 18, 2010, 7:53 AM EST

We often hear criticism of trades because the player for whom the trade was made never justifies the price that was paid. Some trades end up being criticized because the player becomes in his new home an incredibly great player. Or, as the case may be, a Hall of Famer. Or, possibly, one of the greatest of all time.

That was indeed the case nearly 20 years ago, when Brett Favre was shipped to the Packers after only one season in Atlanta.

Our buddy Thom Abraham of WNSR in Nashville passes along a clip of a recent interview with former Falcons coach Jerry Glanville, who defended the decision to trade Favre in blunt terms.

“I had to get him out of Atlanta. . . . I could not sober him up,” Glanville said. “I sent him to a city where at 9:00 at night the only thing that’s open is Chili Joes. You can get it two ways, with or without onions. And that’s what made Brett Favre make a comeback was going to a town that closed down. If I would have traded him to New York, nobody to this day would have known who Brett Favre ever was.”

Favre has been candid regarding his issues with alcohol and painkillers, which he eventually beat several years ago. (He was addicted to the same substance at the center of Ryan Leaf’s ongoing criminal woes.) Still, we can’t recall Glanville ever being quite so candid about the reason for the trade. He has mentioned needing to send Favre to a town that closes up early, but Glanville had never suggested that Favre’s problems were essentially continuous.

The reference to New York is interesting, given that former Packers G.M. Ron Wolf worked for the Jets when Favre was drafted — and Wolf was hoping to land Favre. One of Wolf’s first orders of business once arriving in Green Bay was to get Favre.

Seahawks say Falcons are getting a great coach in Dan Quinn
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 26, 2015, 6:34 PM EST
2045b9bd627e0ebf7e5c3321660bb938.jpeg
AP
Boy, to listen to Seattle players talk about defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, it’s almost like he already has a job or something.

Oh, wait, he does, it just hasn’t been announced.

The wink-nod reality that Quinn is going to be the new boss in Atlanta (though he technically can’t agree to a deal while the Seahawks are still playing) is evident in the word choices of his Seahawks players.

They are getting a great coach,” linebacker Bobby Wagner said of the Falcons, via D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

“I think he’s done a great job of focusing on the task at hand which is to win the Super Bowl,” Wagner said on Monday. “I know that he’s got bigger endeavors on down the line, but he’s approached it like we need to win this game.”
Wagner and defensive end Cliff Avril praised Quinn’s communication skills.

“DQ is awesome,” Avril said. “He’s a coach you can go and talk to at any time if you have any concerns about any plays or how your position is supposed to play it or whatever. . . .

“He’ll cater to you if need be, if that’s not going to hurt the defense. He’s just someone you can go talk to and break film down with.”

The Falcons need more than a motivator and an X-and-O guy, however. They’ll need players on defense if Quinn is going to have the kind of success they think he will.

Profootballtalk reports the Falcons plan to name Seahawks DC Dan Quinn head coach on Tuesday.

The Falcons have been linked to Quinn for weeks, but NFL rules prevent him from taking the job until Seattle's season ends. Kyle Shanahan has already been hired to run Quinn's offense, with Richard Smith and Raheem Morris expected to help coordinate the defense. Quinn will bring Seattle's highly-successful Cover-3 scheme to Atlanta. The Seahawks have led the league in total defense under Quinn the last two years.

Stadium costs, crowd noise investigation create problems for Rich McKay
Posted by Mike Florio on February 3, 2015, 8:28 PM EST
mckay.jpg
Getty Images
For months, the ever-rising price of the new Falcons stadium has sparked speculation and rumor in league circles that Falcons president and CEO Rich McKay could be on thin ice. Activities in the team’s existing venue could be the thing that causes the ice to break.

On Tuesday, owner Arthur Blank said he is “angry and embarrassed” about an investigation regarding artificial crowd noise at the Georgia Dome — an investigation that conveniently was leaked on Super Sunday, under circumstances where it would get far less attention than if it had emerged at any other point during the NFL season.

Under the “ignorance is no excuse” standard that got Saints coach Sean Payton suspended for a year despite having no knowledge or role in the bounty arrangement hatched by former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, this potential violation lands in the lap not of football operations but stadium operations. And that’s McKay’s jurisdiction.

While the original report from Adam Schefter of ESPN mentions a fine and the loss of a draft pick as potential punishment, PFT has learned that the NFL regards artificial-sound violations as an affront to the integrity of the game. Last Friday, Commissioner Roger Goodell mentioned fines, draft picks, and suspensions as potential punishment for game-integrity violations.

If, of course, the investigation reveals that the head coach or the G.M. knew about or requested the artificial crowd noise, then they’d be in line for punishment. But if football operations had nothing to do with the violation, the buck eventually stops on Rich McKay’s desk. Coupled with the many millions of extra bucks that Blank will be spending to build a new stadium, that could be enough to prompt Blank to make a change.

And even if Blank decides to retain McKay, it’ll be awkward to say the least for McKay to continue to chair the NFL’s Competition Committee, if the Falcons are found to have cheated in any way regarding the use of phony crowd noise.

Quinn sidesteps issue of control over roster
Posted by Mike Florio on February 3, 2015, 3:30 PM EST
quinn.jpg
Getty Images
New Falcons coach Dan Quinn reportedly has acquired control of the 53-man roster in Atlanta. During a Tuesday appearance on PFT Live on NBC Sports Radio, Quinn was asked to confirm that he indeed will be determining the ultimate grocery list.

And Quinn deftly evaded the question with an articulate, non-grunting response.

“Everything that we’re going to do here is going to be a big collaboration,” Quinn said. “So myself, Thomas [Dimitroff], and Scott {Pioli] can’t wait to get connected with these guys. So, all the decisions will be amongst all of us. I really admire the way Pete [Carroll] and John [Schneider] worked together in Seattle. I thought that was a terrific relationship. With Thomas and myself, I’d like people around the league years from now to look back and say that those two guys partnered up and did it the right way.”

The message? It doesn’t matter who has final say. What matters is working together to make the best decisions for the team.

The best way to have final say means to never have to use it. Someone has to have it, but the goal should be to avoid the kind of impasse that will require the guy with final say to say, “Hey, pal, I have final say.”

It’s the right move for Quinn because, first, it’s the right way to handle that kind of power and, second, if Quinn and Dimitroff aren’t on the same page, the Falcons will be less likely to turn things around quickly. And if they don’t turn things around fairly quickly, neither guy will be there to exercise final say, soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back