Teams Atlanta Falcons - The Dirty Birds

Remove this Banner Ad

Falcons No. 2 QB A.J. McCarron suffered a torn ACL in the Falcons' second preseason game against the Dolphins and will miss the 2021 season.
Felipe Franks is the only backup quarterback on Atlanta's roster at the moment. Franks, a UDFA from Arkansas, was not expected to make the roster over McCarron. He was likely to be stashed on the Falcons' practice squad for a year before getting a legitimate shot at backing up Ryan. That makes a veteran signing almost inevitable for the Falcons. Blake Bortles stands out as the top free agent quarterback

Falcons signed QB Josh Rosen.
Rosen's addition comes one week after he was waived by the 49ers, and two days after Falcons No. 2 QB A.J. McCarron suffered a torn ACL. McCarron's injury means Rosen has blundered into the opportunity for a backup job, as the Falcons currently have only UDFA Feleipe Franks behind Matt Ryan. As bad as Rosen is, Franks is not going to be a legitimate contender for the job. If Rosen loses it, it will be to another veteran that is added between now and Week 1. Rosen was not even practicing well in San Francisco, so it is a bad situation for the Falcons.
SOURCE: Jordan Schultz on Twitter
Aug 23, 2021, 11:41 PM ET

Odds this video leads to Mike Kenn and Jeff Van Note being Canton bound?

Loved the story about Greg Brezina and Mike Michel. Bartkowski with the thunder bombs. Kenn and Van Note, deserved mention, Riggs with three great years, Jenkins a name. That 1977 defense = wow,sir.

Great ending that introduced Sanders for the next episode.

The hope in Atlanta, a source said, is that head coach Arthur Smith can deliver a similar career resurrection with Rosen that he was able to accomplish with Ryan Tannehill in Tennessee. While Smith’s work with Tannehill has helped push him in the upper echelon of quarterbacks in the NFL, Rosen is coming to Smith far less accomplished that Tannehill after his early seasons with the Dolphins.

Falcons released RB Javian Hawkins.
Hawkins signed with the Falcons as an undrafted free agent in May, generating some loose talk about the rookie carving out a role in Arthur Smith's offense. Hawkins' release leaves Qadree Ollison as the locked-in RB2 behind Mike Davis to start the season. Ollison is a worthwhile late-round pick for Zero RB drafters looking for a running back lottery ticket.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Atlanta Falcons on Twitter
Aug 24, 2021, 11:59 AM ET

Falcons released RB Javian Hawkins.
Hawkins signed with the Falcons as an undrafted free agent in May, generating some loose talk about the rookie carving out a role in Arthur Smith's offense. Hawkins' release leaves Qadree Ollison as the locked-in RB2 behind Mike Davis to start the season. Ollison is a worthwhile late-round pick for Zero RB drafters looking for a running back lottery ticket.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Atlanta Falcons on Twitter
Aug 24, 2021, 11:59 AM ET

LicoriceAllsorts call Chris Simms for me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Episode 4 ...

The origins of the Dirty Bird name. A fan made sign, guy trademarks it after Jamal Anderson names his college TD dance that name, seeing that sign there when he dances. But the NFL finds out there is some biker dude somewhere else in America who actually owns that trademark, so they strong arm him to give up the trademark to help give the Falcons an identity.

Also, that 1998/99 Falcons team is the most surprising Super Bowl team ever in history. Two years prior and two years after that SB season, they win a combined 20 games. That is still the most unexpected season ever. As every other SB team thru history has always been good to great the couple years prior and/or after a SB berth.

The Dan Reeves vs Elway/Shanahan feud. Epic. Plus devout preachy Christian Eugene Robinsons brain-melt two days before the game, arrested for sexual solitication and not having slept for roughly 36 hrs heading into the game.

Jamal Anderson hit-sticking and stiff-arming defenders before King Henry popularized it.

Falcons General Manager Terry Fontenot and head coach Arthur Smith have set their first 53-man since being hired earlier this year.

The Falcons became the first team in the league to get to 53 players on Tuesday. All 32 teams need to get to that point by 4 p.m. ET.

Quarterbacks Feleipe Franks and Josh Rosen both made it through the cut. Rosen joined the team last week in the wake of AJ McCarron‘s season-ending knee injury and the 2018 first-round pick will get a chance to continue learning the offense barring another move that leaves him without a job once again.

The Falcons released defensive lineman Eli Ankou, wide receiver Trevor Davis, and running back D'Onta Foreman. They waived cornerback Delrick Abrams, offensive lineman Willie Beavers, defensive lineman Zac Dawe, linebacker Emmanuel Ellerbee, wide receiver Juwan Green, running back Caleb Huntley, safety Dwayne Johnson, linebacker Kobe Jones, offensive lineman Sam Jones, punter Dom Maggio, offensive lineman Ryan Neuzil, wide receiver Antonio Nunn, safety JR Pace, tight end John Raine, wide receiver Chris Rowland, offensive lineman Joe Sculthorpe, linebacker Tuzar Skipper, defensive lineman Chris Slayton, offensive lineman Kion Smith, linebacker Erroll Thompson, tight end David Wells, and cornerback Chris Williamson.

Offensive lineman Matt Gono will remain on the PUP list and miss at least the first six weeks of the season. Tight end Parker Hesse is on the COVID-19 reserve list and activating him will necessitate dropping someone who avoided the axe on Tuesday

The years covered in episode 5 are very memorable. Even for non-Falcons fans.

I remember like yesterday that 2002 playoff game, vs Packers. All of us in the office glued to the radio and this site that showed drive charts in real time. Packers had never lost a home playoff, etc. No one gave the Falcons a chance, nor us in the office, but as the game went on we all were rooting for Vick.

The Jim Mora radio interview also got huge airplay back then. I remember waking up to the reports, so much facepalming. The way he kept digging his own grave.

The Madden years with Vick, also such a part of culture. Everyone wanted to play like Vick, so many crazy games everyone played online with dudes running Vick all over the place.

The earth shattering Vick dog fighting news breaking. This board went apocalyptic when it happened. I remember that poster Vick>Footy from the US on this board, he couldnt live it down on here, JD and everyone else on his back, he changed his name to Vick<Footy, but disappeared from this board forever. But that period of Vicks dog fighting incident was massive news all over the world.

And then the coup de grace of pain.....the Bobby Petrino tenure. The most despicable man. But i never realized that happened until i saw this episode -- that Petrino got fired from Lousville while live on TV doing an interview. Such sweet karma, i gotta find that video on youtube now....

The years covered in episode 5 are very memorable. Even for non-Falcons fans.

I remember like yesterday that 2002 playoff game, vs Packers. All of us in the office glued to the radio and this site that showed drive charts in real time. Packers had never lost a home playoff, etc. No one gave the Falcons a chance, nor us in the office, but as the game went on we all were rooting for Vick.

The Jim Mora radio interview also got huge airplay back then. I remember waking up to the reports, so much facepalming. The way he kept digging his own grave.

The Madden years with Vick, also such a part of culture. Everyone wanted to play like Vick, so many crazy games everyone played online with dudes running Vick all over the place.

The earth shattering Vick dog fighting news breaking. This board went apocalyptic when it happened. I remember that poster Vick>Footy from the US on this board, he couldnt live it down on here, JD and everyone else on his back, he changed his name to Vick<Footy, but disappeared from this board forever. But that period of Vicks dog fighting incident was massive news all over the world.

And then the coup de grace of pain.....the Bobby Petrino tenure. The most despicable man. But i never realized that happened until i saw this episode -- that Petrino got fired from Lousville while live on TV doing an interview. Such sweet karma, i gotta find that video on youtube now....
ON HIS OWN TALKBACK SHOW

So the media got told before him

I need to find this on youtube and watch it in all its glory.

Matt Ryan never considered leaving Atlanta for a fresh start elsewhere

Posted by Mike Florio on September 1, 2021, 9:41 AM EDT

Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan, the 2016 NFL MVP and a passer who continues to position himself among the all-time greats when it comes to all major statistical categories, enters his fourteenth season in Atlanta. It’s a time of significant change.

The changes are so significant that, last year, owner Arthur Blank made it clear that Ryan would have a voice in whether he stays for 2021. Earlier this week, Ryan told me that he never considered leaving.

“It never crossed my mind,” Ryan said in a visit sponsored by Tide’s new #TurnToCold initiative. “I mean, I know that there’s been lots of that in the NFL right now. A lot of people, specifically at the quarterback position, moving in different directions. And everybody’s situation is unique. For me, I never wanted to do that. I love being here. I love being a part of this organization. Arthur Blank has been incredible to me, from the minute I was drafted. He’s incredible to my family. So I’m thankful for that opportunity. I love being in this city, living here. It’s home for my wife and I and our kids. And it’s a good place to live. And I want to stay here. I want to be here for a long time. For me, it never really was a part of my thinking.”

Ryan, who has a head coach with a offensive background for the first time in his fourteen-year career, won’t have Julio Jones. He will have Calvin Ridley and rookie tight end Kyle Pitts.

The Falcons have no real expectations for 2021. That often becomes a key ingredient for a team surprising the football world with a stellar season. They quietly continue to have one of the most important ingredients to being relevant — a franchise quarterback.

Arthur Blank acknowledges that, even with new contract, relationship with Julio Jones “changed”

Posted by Mike Florio on September 1, 2021, 7:58 PM EDT

In 2019, the Falcons made receiver Julio Jones the highest paid receiver in the NFL. That wasn’t enough to salvage the relationship.

Owner Arthur Blank, in a recent interview with Jeff Schultz of TheAthletic.com, explained that the financial acrimony that began in 2018 and lasted until 2019 created issues that lingered into 2020 and beyond.

“Look back at the Julio situation in 2019,” Blank told Schultz. “We, being [former G.M.] Thomas [Dimitroff], coach [Bob] Quinn, the player and his agent [Jimmy Sexton], were all kind of at odds with each other. We got a contract done. We felt it was very generous. It made him the top paid receiver in NFL history. But for whatever reason, he felt it wasn’t sufficient respect. I don’t know why he’d feel that way, but he did feel that way.”

Schultz asked Blank if the relationship was ever the same.

“No,” Blank said. “Not really. It changed. And if you spoke to the players on the team, not that they would say anything, but I think they would tell you the same thing. . . . He just wasn’t. . . . Look, he gave us 10 great years. He’s going to be a Hall of Fame player. He was a good teammate for all that period of time. [But] his ability or willingness to practice the way he did early in his career was different. There were some people who were in the building who had an effect on him. He wanted out, and the last thing coach [Arthur] Smith wants is a player who doesn’t want to be here.”

Jones definitely didn’t want to be there. And now Jones is gone. It’s a cautionary tale for the Titans; if Jones has a solid season, he’s going to want another new contract. If the Titans resist, they could end up in the same situation the Falcons found themselves in, as of 2018.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back