Teams Atlanta Falcons - The Dirty Birds

Defence got tired? Not good enough, logical reasoning.

But considering that's supposed to be a troll. Maybe Atlanta fans can comfort themselves by saying they didn't choke as badly as when Houston lost the SB.
No my reasoning is legit. Oh also the Pats are a great team with great coach and QB.

As for Houston, I can't quite remember that SB that was lost.

Oh and if anyone is trolling here it was your original post

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah whatever.

You're not going to justify a huge lead blown over the defence getting tired. Deep down, I don't think Atlanta fans buy that. If it were the case, then the loss wouldn't be seen as a choke. NE would even be considered favourites at the start of the 4th. Losing the game wouldn't sting so bad, as evident in so many forums.

Chokes just don't happen for no reason. But I'm not prepared to express my opinion atm.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
The reason Atlanta lost was due to their offense. They not only ceased being the #1 offense in the league after the 28-3 lead, but they couldn't convert any drives themselves. They didn't adapt when the pressure came back on them to score again to keep New England at bay after each score. Ultimately, they blew it with that drive going out of FG range. Two big ones now -- Seattle failing to run M.Lynch at the 1 yard line vs Patriots, and the Falcons not camping down for the FG.

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Tbh. Watching the game. I didn't think the game would be won with the FG. You're assuming the FG attempt would've been kicked??? If the FG attempt had been kicked, i think it would've meant something else remarkable, or stupid, would've happened to tie the game.

While we're at it. To get it off my chest. Having discussed it with American fans I like in other forums. A pass play instead of a Lynch run was fair enough. It's just THAT pass play that screwed them. The option should've been there for Wilson to throw the ball away.

The reason Atlanta lost was due to their offense. They not only ceased being the #1 offense in the league after the 28-3 lead, but they couldn't convert any drives themselves. They didn't adapt when the pressure came back on them to score again to keep New England at bay after each score. Ultimately, they blew it with that drive going out of FG range. Two big ones now -- Seattle failing to run M.Lynch at the 1 yard line vs Patriots, and the Falcons not camping down for the FG.

21 points on 46 plays and you're blaming the O. Although yes they should have just run it twice and kick the FG

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
21 points on 46 plays and you're blaming the O. Although yes they should have just run it twice and kick the FG
Everyone knew the game was going to be an offensive shootout. The overs on the game like 58.5. So anyway when the comeback started happening, the key was for the Falcons O to KEEP scoring whenever the Patriots did. That's how you stop comebacks especially in high scoring shootouts. Their O collapsed, no long drives, that's why their D was on the field so much and gassed. But ultimately the whole comeback was happening at the end, the Falcons knew they were losing it, so that final drive where they fell out of FG range was sooooo crucial, it was their LAST RESORT, last chance.

Makes me appreciate the XL SB a lot more considering the Steelers got a couple favorable decisions early but not decisive. To run the ball, eat the clock and effectively snuff the opposition is what winning a stress free SB is all about. Yep, not a memorable SB for the masses because it wasn't close and besides, taking that INT in the Redzone early in last Q was the clincher.

The Falcons were in a position to play a grind 'em out game in the second half that should of effectively started with the opening drive of the second half. But credit to the Pats unheralded D who reeled in the Falcons missed opportunities to give the game back to Brady & co.

I made mention (verbally) of a twist was about to unravel... that was after giving Brady a decent 'outta my seat' bake!!

Tbh. Watching the game. I didn't think the game would be won with the FG. You're assuming the FG attempt would've been kicked??? If the FG attempt had been kicked, i think it would've meant something else remarkable, or stupid, would've happened to tie the game.

I agree. Patriots were indeed milking the clock in that last Q. Seemed to be content in controlling the possession and knowing that the winning triggers were gonna be pulled by both O and D doing enough to force OT. Had the Falcons scored a FG inbetween, we wouldn't have seen the Edelman catch because there wouldn't have been no time / rhyme or reason for the Pats to play slow/ without urgency. Things change considerably after a score. No doubt, it would of been a bigger challenge for the Pats but given the 25pt comeback, you know they would of re-adjusted accordingly.

Smart HC-QB combo for the last 30 years. If they were indeed the GOAT as many are parading that notion, how come they lost twice to the G-Men with both those games in the balance?

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
Not calling run plays is a coaching issue.
I'm reasonably certain I made the remark in the gameday thread that all the Falcons needed to do was run the ball every damn play for the second half and they probably win the Super Bowl but in reality, the Patriots run stopping D overwhelmed Atlanta's OL and your run game was smashed to smithereens especially in the fourth. People are misremembering passes to the backs as big play runs.

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
I'm reasonably certain I made the remark in the gameday thread that all the Falcons needed to do was run the ball every damn play for the second half and they probably win the Super Bowl but in reality, the Patriots run stopping D overwhelmed Atlanta's OL and your run game was smashed to smithereens especially in the fourth. People are misremembering passes to the backs as big play runs.
I was so drunk in the 2nd half I only remember a few things.

Don't have the courage to rewatch yet.

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown

In a nutshell, the Patriots started moving the LOS back a yard or two on first contact significantly altering Freeman's and Coleman's runs. As a Patriots fan, what pleased me was they collapsed on the edge and started hitting your guys behind the LOS, which I believe, had a serious effect on how Shanahan called the game.

Atlanta played a damn good game, but in the end, your young D simply didn't have enough petrol in the tank. There's nothing unusual about this as from my observation, when you prioritise speed over size, it can happen. If Jarrett can build on his post-season, you've got one heck of a young lineman there.

All these explanations are not helping. I'm still gutted.

Defines you as a HARD CORE fan if anything. Sometimes these 'tests' can be a blessing in disguise.:p I recall crying/ saddened after North lost to the Hawks in the '76 GF. It was tough love in some ways but I stuck it out in the 80's without success aside the 1980 night GF and most of the 1983 H & A season.

Defines you as a HARD CORE fan if anything. Sometimes these 'tests' can be a blessing in disguise.:p I recall crying/ saddened after North lost to the Hawks in the '76 GF. It was tough love in some ways but I stuck it out in the 80's without success aside the 1980 night GF and most of the 1983 H & A season.
I'm a North Melbourne supporter as well and I've been 'tested' before. 1994 Prelim, 1998 GF, last year.
What I remember about '94 and '98 is North Melbourne returning to the big dance a year or two later and being successful. I honestly believe that will happen in Atlanta as well.

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
****. You're a lot older than I thought you were.

First sitting I watched until the Blount fumble
Second sitting I watched until 1 play after 28-3
I think this will be my revisionist history.

Macca_1870

All Australian
May 1, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
26. Takkarist McKinley, DE, Atlanta Falcons (from Seattle Seahawks)

Analysis: "This Takkarist McKinley has toughness and speed. He's a 3-4 outside linebacker or 4-3 defensive end. I love his motor and his toughness. And now you pair him with Vic Beasley in sub-packages, watch out."

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
usatsi_10033658.vadapt.767.high.0.jpg

Back