ATP ATP 2022

John Smith92

Team Captain
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Grass season throwing up its usual diet of massive upsets so far. Stuttgart actually has a very nice lineup for the quarters and Van Rijthoven vs Gaston should be a fun match in s'Hertogenbosch, will probably watch that instead of the footy tonight.

danstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Grass season throwing up its usual diet of massive upsets so far. Stuttgart actually has a very nice lineup for the quarters and Van Rijthoven vs Gaston should be a fun match in s'Hertogenbosch, will probably watch that instead of the footy tonight.
Seen some of the Van Rijthoven match in round of 16 hes not bad, would be a fun match against Gaston whos in good form. Hopefully the rain stays away, its been raining alot in the past weeks in Europe

John Smith92

Team Captain
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Seen some of the Van Rijthoven match in round of 16 hes not bad, would be a fun match against Gaston whos in good form. Hopefully the rain stays away, its been raining alot in the past weeks in Europe
I watch way too much challenger tennis, mainly for gambling purposes, and I've always liked his game.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Mens tennis has been interesting like that the last couple of years. Lots of mid twenties guys from the challenger tour have broken through to the main tour. Historically that doesn't really happen a lot as players are usually teenagers when they make their initial breakthrough. The dutch have a few of them, van de Zandschulp, Griekspoor, van Rijthoven. Looks like van Rijthoven had a bit of a pedigree as a junior, the others don't seem to have.

John Smith92

Team Captain
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Mens tennis has been interesting like that the last couple of years. Lots of mid twenties guys from the challenger tour have broken through to the main tour. Historically that doesn't really happen a lot as players are usually teenagers when they make their initial breakthrough. The dutch have a few of them, van de Zandschulp, Griekspoor, van Rijthoven. Looks like van Rijthoven had a bit of a pedigree as a junior, the others don't seem to have.
I always wondered why van de Zandschulp and Karatsev were stuck in challengers for so long because when they played their best tennis nobody could compete. Griekspoor was just what you expect from a solid 100-150 ranked player but has clearly stepped up recently as you say, I like van Rijthoven's game but I don't think this is the start of a long career on the main tour.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Kyrgios has done sfa for ages but he would probably be in the top 3 most likely to give Djokovic a challenge at Wimbledon such is the dearth of decent grass courters at the top of the game atm. Berrettini, Cilic, Kyrgios, is there anyone else remotely capable? Maybe someone like Korda could really kick on.

Last edited:

John Smith92

Team Captain
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Kyrgios has done sfa for ages but he would probably be in the top 3 most likely to give Djokovic a challenge at Wimbledon such is the dearth of decent grass courters at the top of the game atm. Berrettini, Cilic, Kyrgios, is there anyone else remotely capable? Maybe someone like Korda could really kick on.
FAA and Shapo both can play on the surface, if either has their annual solid tournament they could be tricky.

John Smith92

Team Captain
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thompson is playing Popyrin tonight in Nottingham to make it through to the final, sometime around midnight.
Thompson and Kubler both through to finals in their respective challengers, both looking to back up wins last week. Kubler currently up to 100 in the live rankings, another win would put him solidly inside the top 100 for the first time in 3 years.

danstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dutch guy was amazing all week, incredible going from qualies to the final and knocking off the current world number 1, Will be a bit of a jump in rankings, he started last week at #205

John Smith92

Team Captain
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dutch guy was amazing all week, incredible going from qualies to the final and knocking off the current world number 1, Will be a bit of a jump in rankings, he started last week at #205
Can't remember a more unexpected result in ATP tennis, if you'd gone through the list of everyone in the draw he would've been the last you'd pick for the title. Not to mention that it was probably the strongest 250 of the year and he took out the top 3 seeds.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tomic making stupid delusional claims he could beat Kygrios on grass Or anywhere really doesn't even need a response. Nick is clearly one of the top grass court players in the world. His serve on the surface is as dominating as anyone else's in the world. I watched his Tsitsipas match last night and the only reason it went 3 sets is because his serve was way off in the 1st set. Went at 50 per cent or just below from memory yet it still went to 7-5. Once he found his range he did it comfortably considering he was playing a top 10 player who admittedly was on his worst surface but never looked like winning after the 1st set. Only player in the draw I feel he would be concerned about is Medvedev who has the game to match him on the surface.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I always wondered why van de Zandschulp and Karatsev were stuck in challengers for so long because when they played their best tennis nobody could compete. Griekspoor was just what you expect from a solid 100-150 ranked player but has clearly stepped up recently as you say, I like van Rijthoven's game but I don't think this is the start of a long career on the main tour.
Karatsev has lost form since the Aus Open. Is back at the level he was before last year IMO. Struggling to go deep in many tournaments and losing to journeyman regularly. Perhaps the form of last year and early this year was not a true reflection and he may have just played above his level for 12 months.

Back