Surkin

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
France
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Knicks
We were discussing Nick Kyrgios in the US Open thread and saying that now he is back in Australia, he wouldn't compete again until the Aussie summer season.

Looks like we were wrong. He is down to compete in the Basel tournament (24 Oct) and since the Paris Masters is the week after I'd expect he is playing in that too.
Playing Tokyo next week too?

danstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
To be fair there really isnt much else going on at the moment in the tennis world, normally all the Chinese tournaments are on now but they replaced them with 250 level events. Think theres only 1x1000 left and no 500s if im correct until January

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
To be fair there really isnt much else going on at the moment in the tennis world, normally all the Chinese tournaments are on now but they replaced them with 250 level events. Think theres only 1x1000 left and no 500s if im correct until January

Think we have 500s ? Tokyo, Basel and Vienna ?

We're only missing the Shanghai 1000 event really. Beijing replaced by Astana as a 500 event this year.

Ton of Aussies in Tokyo next week.

Jordan Thompson attempt of winning back-to-back challengers got cancelled by Hurricane Ian.

Vukic also made the quarters in Sofia this week. He's been out of form too so good result

AdelaideGT

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Vukic also made the quarters in Sofia this week. He's been out of form too so good result

Yes - he has had some horrible results in the last few months so a nice surprise.

Jordan T hasn't had many good results in the same time either

Others like Chris O'C have been coming on strong.

And even Tomic has done ok - if u count ITF-15 tournies as 'ok' lol

Hopefully they can all finish off their seasons strong, come back home for a bit of a rest & pre-season and have a decent Aussie summer.

AdelaideGT

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
1664787680391.png

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm surprised that Nick is playing I thought he wanted to shut down the year and get the court case over and done with.
ADM just got blasted off the court in Tokyo.
I wonder if Nick is going to play ATP finals in Turin as I think he and Kokk will make the doubles last eight.
Astana tournament has most of the top 10 players playing.

AdelaideGT

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm surprised that Nick is playing

I thought he would be shutting it down too. But the news his lawyers are appealing for 'mental health assessments' for the court case adds another layer.

If the court case wasn't a thing right now, I think all Aussie tennis fans would be pleased he's playing in Tokyo and soon in Europe instead of just having his usual Canberra holiday around this time of the year.

Me Myself and I

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2016
Singapore
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
I thought he would be shutting it down too. But the news his lawyers are appealing for 'mental health assessments' for the court case adds another layer.
A farce. So his mental health is good to play tennis. But not so when it involves his court case. Should have been told that at the next court date to appear in person or a warrant will be issued for his arrest. He's just taking the piss.

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
Today the roof is closed in Tokyo so that might make it easier for players to breath. Tournament in Astana however is a bit more difficult. A number of players can win it.

AdelaideGT

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
At least Nick managed to win in Tokyo, despite his issues with asthma. Most of the other Aussies including seeded Di Minaur got wiped in their first match.

If he does manage to win - long way to go yet - he will move up to about #15 in world rankings - just a couple below his career high - despite not getting any Wimbledon points.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Shame about Nick getting hurt as I was looking forward to see if he could get revenge on Fritz after getting hammered in Cincy last time.

Djokovic vs Medvedev tonight, as good as it'll ever get for an ATP 500 SF.

Back