ATP ATP 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Good win for 18 y/o Luca van Assche against Wawrinka. Stan probably should have won though, felt he was always on top in the match. LVA sets up a clash with Djokovic, will be an interesting dynamic. He is smart and has great defensive capabilities, but his shots lack power and depth and his serve is pretty average. Time to develop those aspects but I just don’t see huge potential. Fellow 18 y/o countryman Fils lost in qualifying and has lost his way after a hot start to the year but of the two I’d take Fils in a heartbeat.

Molcan beat Taro Daniel and now faces Popyrin after his great win against Griekspoor. Pretty uninspiring lineup tonight in Banja Luka, the only match I’d go out of my way to see is Monfils versus Lehecka.

Barcelona has a terrific line-up, Alcaraz is in action, Ruud/Shelton, ADF/Etcheverry, Ruusuvuori/Tiafoe, WC’s Verdasco and Lopez, what a night.

Meanwhile in Munich, Thiem/Lestienne will be fun, Baez/Otte could be entertaining, and Aussie O’Connell faces choker Humbert.

Jason Kubler career high world number 60. Go you good thing

He would be top 50 if Wimbledon points counted, the story just keeps getting better. He's going to have to start defending points, that's when it gets tough.

Tonights matches of interest:

Barcelona:

Shapovalov (just to see if he can generate any form). He‘s on court now and up a set.

Schwartzman vs Sinner. You feel like Sinner has to have a lapse sooner or later?

Kubler vs Musetti. Which Musetti will turn up?

Jarry vs Kachanov. Tsitsipas also on court.

Muinch:

Zverev vs O’Connell.

Banja Luka:

Djokovic vs van Assche. Djokovic struggling with an elbow injury he picked up in Monte Carlo. How much will it bother him against the teenager?

Monfils vs Lehecka.

Popyrin vs Molcan.

Djokovic far from his best, but gets the job done in three long sets. How rare to see a crowd completely behind him and in full support!

Tsitsipas looking the best he has since the Australian Open. Looking confident and hitting with more power; I think he could do a lot of damage at the French Open. Hopefully he keeps progressing through the draw as I would like to see him come up against the other quality opponents in the field.

Scoreline was pretty lopsided but a good battle for Sinner against Schwartzman, who finally looked like a capable tennis player again. Sinner just keeps on keeping on.

Sinner overcomes Nishioka in a real, real struggle. He looked completely fatigued out there. Got to wonder why he’s even playing here, has played so much tennis.

Meanwhile it’s 6 degrees in Munich for Zverev vs O’Connell. 6!

O’Connell just beat Zverev wow. He played awesome tennis. Sad what’s happened to Zverev though, still needs a lot more time.
OConell kept coming. Zverev wasn’t comfortable. Wonder who is OConnell’s coach. He has made significant inroads this season. Pushing for a top 50.

OConell kept coming. Zverev wasn’t comfortable. Wonder who is OConnell’s coach. He has made significant inroads this season. Pushing for a top 50.

Isn't it Mad Dog, Marinko?

Isn't it Mad Dog, Marinko?
It did look a bit like him, but he was wearing a hoodie and a jacket and it was hard to see lol. But I thought Marinko was coaching Thompson when he played Stef at IW? I could be wrong.

O’Connell won tonight and is into the semis, what a great week for him.

Sinner not unexpectedly handed a walkover to Musetti. He was completely cooked yesterday, not sure how he won.

It did look a bit like him, but he was wearing a hoodie and a jacket and it was hard to see lol. But I thought Marinko was coaching Thompson when he played Stef at IW? I could be wrong.

O’Connell won tonight and is into the semis, what a great week for him.

Sinner not unexpectedly handed a walkover to Musetti. He was completely cooked yesterday, not sure how he won.

I think he's coaching both....

Great week for Chris, especially since he was defending a challenger win this week so essentially he's defended his points

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone see Alcaraz/ADF last night? The missed chances by Davidovich Fokina just wow, the guy has incredible talent and is awesome to watch but his mental strength on the big points is non existent. Carlos was really ordinary but hung in there and waited for ADF to implode on important points.

Djokovic lost and has now withdrawn from Madrid masters, can’t say I’m unhappy with the decision. Rest the elbow and return to the court when ready and amp it up by Rome.

Musetti takes the second against Tsitsipas and we’re going to a decider!

Anyone see Alcaraz/ADF last night? The missed chances by Davidovich Fokina just wow, the guy has incredible talent and is awesome to watch but his mental strength on the big points is non existent. Carlos was really ordinary but hung in there and waited for ADF to implode on important points.

Djokovic lost and has now withdrawn from Madrid masters, can’t say I’m unhappy with the decision. Rest the elbow and return to the court when ready and amp it up by Rome.

Musetti takes the second against Tsitsipas and we’re going to a decider!
Davidovich Fokina can be anything. Making a habit of choking those big points the past 3 months.

Davidovich Fokina can be anything. Making a habit of choking those big points the past 3 months.
He’s still only 23, has every shot in the book. But the serve could be better. Serves 200+ but doesn’t really go for anything, just plays it safe. Needs to be more of a weapon, needs more free points to take pressure off.

If both pull out i reckon it would be interesting to see if Zverev can put his mental demons behind him and take out his first slam, i reckon he goes to top of the list of favs but with that one caveat

Alcaraz would be clear fav IMO.
Especially after what he did to Tsitsipas. Was never in doubt, just a class above. He hit 9 drop shot winners. I’ve never seen anyone hit the drop shot as effectively as he does. He hits them constantly and yet it’s never a bail out shot, and it’s always well disguised. Others use the drop shot every now and then, and might win a few points off it, but no one does what Carlos does with it. What a weapon. As for Stef, he took a step backwards today. BH is just too much of a weakness, and can be targeted too easily. Is he progressing or regressing? I often forget how young he is, but that’s 0-10 in 500 finals now. Mentally he’s soft.

In Banja Luka, Lajovic wins just his second title by beating Rublev 6-4 in the third. Was up 5-1 and needed 3 match points before eventually prevailing.

The biggest drama happened in Munich, where Rune won 7-6 in the third. van de Zandschulp was up 5-2, double break, serving at 40-15. Then serving at 6-5, 40-15. 4 championship points blown, first title gone.

Especially after what he did to Tsitsipas. Was never in doubt, just a class above. He hit 9 drop shot winners. I’ve never seen anyone hit the drop shot as effectively as he does. He hits them constantly and yet it’s never a bail out shot, and it’s always well disguised. Others use the drop shot every now and then, and might win a few points off it, but no one does what Carlos does with it. What a weapon. As for Stef, he took a step backwards today. BH is just too much of a weakness, and can be targeted too easily. Is he progressing or regressing? I often forget how young he is, but that’s 0-10 in 500 finals now. Mentally he’s soft.

In Banja Luka, Lajovic wins just his second title by beating Rublev 6-4 in the third. Was up 5-1 and needed 3 match points before eventually prevailing.

The biggest drama happened in Munich, where Rune won 7-6 in the third. van de Zandschulp was up 5-2, double break, serving at 40-15. Then serving at 6-5, 40-15. 4 championship points blown, first title gone.

Probably going to be one of his few chances to win a title. Pretty devastating.

I'm so late to congrat Rublev for his first Masters 1000 win at Monte Carlo. Thank goodness he can cross it off his list and focus on another goal. I don't mind that he didn't win in Bosnia at least he made the final. I have noticed little improvements, since the AO. His mental attitude has improved although on Sunday he did have some lapses, going into the net a bit more even if he doesn't win the point it will give him more confidence and should be encouraged to keep doing it because after a while it will become more natural. I did clap every time he won a point at net. His new mental coach Martin from Spain is doing a great job, it won't be an overnight fix but hopefully by the second half of the year. To me though he didn't look very fresh and seemed tired. I hope he got to enjoy his MC win. For some reason I preferred to watch the 250 final over Barcelona final. I think there Bein needs another channel. Sometimes there are too many events on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back