ATP ATP 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

17 year old Brazilian Fonseca beat Fils 6-4, 6-0. He played beautifully. Watched his tour debut last year and he lost the first 9 games. He’s improved a lot. His rally tolerance in particular has got a lot better, builds the point now rather than just pulling the trigger immediately. He generates good power, easy power, off both wings. His movement has also improved considerably, especially moving forward which was a major weakness last year. His serve is a little limited, it’s a little like Bernard Tomic’s serve. Not much can go wrong with it, quite effective, but probably not going to blow you away. Gets a few free points off it though, got a good kick serve.

He’s a spirited guy too, constantly willing the crowd to get involved. I’m still unsure about his long term potential, but to make such good strides in 12 months is impressive. There’s a lot to like there.

Fils though…what the heck. He’s regressed this year. Think he’s added a lot of bulk, thighs, shoulders noticeably bigger. Maybe he’s still adjusting to the extra weight. Looks really poor right now.

Pretty absurd win from Thompson in Los Cabos, was 6-0, 2-0 down and won 0-6, 7-6, 7-5 and save 3 match points. Michelsen has a nice game but the mental collapse from him was something. Jordy doing his absolute best to make the match a grind after getting absolutely spanked in that first set.

I think this puts him around 36 in the live rankings and that will be a career high for him

Just watched Mensik beat Rublev, and wow what a performance. He was spectacular. Played so much better than against Murray. More aggressive, served huge, and his defence was elite. He moves so quickly back into position after defending, it’s really impressive. This kid is going to be awesome.

Popyrin lost but would have been the better player for 90% of the first set. Dud service game to give the break back then gave Khachanov a 4 point head start in the breaker. Appeared to cop a side strain early in the second set and struggled thereafter.

Decent effort by both. In recent times Matosevic & Ebden peaked at #39 and Millman at #33. I think Andrew Ilie at #38 might be the prior time someone peaked in the 30s (no doubt forgetting some). Popy still young but it’s a befitting career achievement for Jordan. Purcell also scaled to #40 last year.

Jordan Thompson defeats Zverev. In the form of his career?

You'd have to say that after his last few weeks. If he wins the final against Ruud (just as unlikely as his semi win vs Zverev) he would rise to #32 in the rankings and possibly be seeded in the next couple of Slams.

His game seems to have improved since he got rid of that horrible 70s pr0n-stache. Coincidence? - I think not.. lol

Hopefully his form continues - while the hard-court tournies are on - in Indian Wells & Miami - to improve his rank even further before the clay-court swing.

He's also up to a career-high doubles ranking (only in the 60s but still..) and if he sticks with Purcell until at least Wimbledon I could see this improving another 30 spots or so.

His game seems to have improved since he got rid of that horrible 70s pr0n-stache. Coincidence? - I think not..

Hahaha

The guy is just such a hard worker. He looks even fitter than he already was and has been really fit his whole career. I think he has improved that forehand as well which used to be one of the worst shots in tennis

Mensik lost in the final to Khachanov. I think he’s actually a somewhat similar player to Khachanov. Had 4 set points in the opening set TB, but lost it 14-12. What a tournament though for the young Czech.

Meanwhile in Rio Fonseca lost in the quarters but was mainly due to fatigue. His body gave way a little. Good learning experience for him and it’s back to the gym to get stronger. The guy has an explosive game, his FH is absolute lethal.

Thompson currently up a set and it’s 3-3 in the final against Ruud.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Thommo!!!

That is a great effort by Jordan, so happy for him. If he does nothing else in his tennis career he has won an ATP title, that is quite an achievement!

Aussie battlers kicking goals atm :thumbsu:;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back