ATP ATP Tour - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Rapt for Nick, a run to be proud of, nice to see his clutchness back in vogue again.

I still vividly remember Federer's very 1st title at Milan against Boutter. He had won the Hopman Cup with Hingis, lost to eventual finalist Clement in AO R3, then the week after the AO he finally broke through. How time flies, who would have known he'd win a 100.

There were some older guys in that 2001 Milan draw like Bruguera, Rosset, Tarango and Ivanesevic who were basically done with making finals by that point (save that one famous case for Goran a few months later), guys that are quickly closing in on their 50s now. Gianluca Pozzi, a journeyman who peaked inside the top 40 that week, was born in 1965. One of the guys playing in Dubai this week 99 Fed titles later was born in Paris in 1999 (Moutet), a few weeks before Fed's slam debut there.

Last edited:
FUCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK YEEAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just found out he won.

Suck that you hater *s!!!!!!!

All the big mouth campaigners, his critics, and Krygios gave them a Giant * YOU

NELSO.jpg

People need to remember if he is drop shoting or underarm serving during his matches he isn't tankng, it might appear that way to fans or the media but the guy when he wants to be is actually quite a good tactician. Nadal having a sook about the underarm serve just goes to show how traditional and vanilla the guy is. It ain't against the rules and if your going to stand a mile behind the baseline than its your own fault if you get punked like that. Doesn't seem to care much for people with flair does Rafa.

What an amazing week for Nick. Somehow saved his best tennis for the final, throughly outplayed Zverev. Just impressively aggressive tennis mixed in with incredible feel with the drop shot.

I still think this week is the perfect set of circumstances for him and i would be surprised he keeps playing like this in IW/Miami but prove me wrong Nick. Let's see how much you care now that your ranking is not in the danger zone for missing a lot of events

Huge week from Nick. The most impressive thing is he showed some fight. The problem is he is not winning any of those big matches if they go the distance in a Grand Slam.

I wonder if he should play the two ATP Masters tournament and then take a rest and work on his conditioning during the clay court season and set himself up for Wimbledon.

Last edited:
Have managed to avoid the result all day and just watched the match now.

The performance today was a top 3 or 4 worthy kind of performance. Kyrgios was steely, determined, focused, strategic and athletic through the match. From the ground and return of serve point of view, it may be the best he has played in a high stakes match against an opponent who was in grest form and had not lost a set. Don’t accept anyone say that this wasn’t a match zverev wanted to win desperately. What made the win more impressive for me was that kyrgios didn't serve his best, but really won it from the back of the court and with the drop shots.

All of us here know that Kyrgios has the skills to achieve some special things in the game. This week he showed aspects rarely seen like determination, not accepting defeat, coming from behind, focus and grit.

This has been a week out of the box for Kyrgios, his best on tour in my opinion, considering his opponents, the crowd and the physicality of the matches.

Well done nick, where to from here?

Last edited:
The first set is usually very telling between these two. Past record shows if you win the first set, you usually win the match. Final could be a different story?

Lol, you don’t think that applies to every match of tennis? Give me a match-up where the winner of the first set usually loses the match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suck that you hater ****s!!!!!!!

All the big mouth campaigners, his critics, and Krygios gave them a Giant **** YOU
If you think that his his worst behaviour is acceptable then that says a lot about your character.

With regards to his tennis though, Zverev said it best:

"If you beat four players like that in a 500 event, you deserve to win," Zverev says.

"I know you guys had a little bit of a fight with the crowd – but he is the one who deserves to win the tournament this week, he is the champion this week."

Last edited:
People need to remember if he is drop shoting or underarm serving during his matches he isn't tankng, it might appear that way to fans or the media but the guy when he wants to be is actually quite a good tactician..
as far as I'm concerned, if it is legal to serve underarm then players have the right to serve underarm. If the lawmakers do not want players to server underarm then there is an easy way to fix that.

Kyrgios last week dropped to #72. Last time he was outside the top 70 was late June 2014!

Yeah important points for him, however quoting an Overseas Tournament Director "Kyrgios is the third most sought after player by any tournament after Federer and Nadal."

Obviously that can change but at the moment he could have no ranking and live off wildcards for 12 months playing selected tournaments and rebuild. Like Bouchard they eventually dry up but unlike say John Millman, Kyrgios has that safety net.

Kyrgios last week dropped to #72. Last time he was outside the top 70 was late June 2014!

That was before the win against Nadal at Wimbledon. That's a lifetime ago

Rankings Update:

Top 32

Federer (+3) - 4
Del Potro (-1) - 5
Anderson (-1) - 6
Nishikori (-1) - 7
Tsitsipas (+1) - 10
Cilic (-1) - 11
Coric (+1) - 12
Khachanov (-1) - 13
Basilashvili (+1) - 18
Monfils (+4) - 19
Bautista Agut (-4) - 22
Edmund (+4) - 23
de Minaur (+2) - 24
Shapovalov (-1) - 25
Gasquet (+1) - 27
Dimitrov (+1) - 28
Simon (+1) - 29
Pouille (-8) - 30
Fucsovics (+4) - 31
Djere (+5) - 32

Others:

Kyrgios (+39) - 33
Pella (+14) - 34
Kohlschreiber (-8) - 39
Millman (+2) - 42
Norrie (+16) - 48
Klizan (-9) - 50
Jaziri (-15) - 60
McDonald (+9) - 62
Chung (-10) - 63
Hurkacz (+10) - 67
Garin (+20) - 72
Cuevas (-14) - 73
Thompson (+2) - 77
Berdych (+7) - 81
Tomic (+1) - 82
Jarry (+19) - 86
Dellien (+8) - 87
Andreozzi (-8) - 88
Harris (+7) - 92
Ruud (+14) - 94
Berankis (+18) - 95

A great tennis podcast discussing an incredible week: Roger Federer - 100 Titles; Nick Kyrgios Goes Loco In Acapulco

In Acapulco, we saw the whole Nick Kyrgios package, and wasn’t it wonderful? But have we learned anything new about Kyrgios? Or just been reminded of what we already knew? His comeback against Nadal is discussed, his demolition of Alexander Zverev is praised, and his use of the underarm serve is debated. Is it a legitimate tactic, obnoxious, or both?

(51 mins) https://play.acast.com/s/thetennispodcast/rogerfederer-100titles-nickkyrgiosgoeslocoinacapulco

I think he would need to change his schedule and play some weaker tournaments to do it.

Hard to see him winning many more GS or masters. So he could win like Halle, Basel etc for the next two years and still not get there. He'd need to play Brisbane, Amsterdam, Tokyo etc to pad it out a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back