ATP ATP Tour - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon it's been a long long time for a 500+ event to not have a semi-finalist in their 20s.

Last edited:
I reckon it's been a long long time for a 500+ event to not have a semi-finalist in their 20s.
Haha, that's a great stat!

I guess given the prevalence of quality 30+ players it is possible that it happened sometime in recent years, despite Zverev's efforts to curtail. Wimbledon 2018 had 4 30+ SFs. At 500/1000 level I'm not sure.

At the lower event levels, Pune 2019 had 32, 34, 34 and 39yo SFs.

But the two teens and two vets just accentuates the 'poor generation' stat more beautifully! Surely an extremely rare occurrence. 2000 USO is close-ish (Sampras was recently 29, Martin recently 30, Lleyton was 19, and Marat was 20 3/4). 2017 Canadian Open also narrowly had a recently 20 Zverev and recently 30 Haase along with Fed & Shapovalov.

Last edited:

The quality in men's tennis is actually pretty poor. Fed will play till his 40 if he can maintain the standard of play he is at currently because only a few players on the tour can get to that level. That's actually embarrassing really, credit to Fed for not dropping off the guy is an incredible freak but it's accentuated by the fact that the majority of the ATP tour haven't got a clue or the skills required to push the bloke physically or mentally on a consistent basis. He will eventually retire when he has completely crushed all records associated with tennis and it will happen I'm absolutely sure of it.

Haha, that's a great stat!

I guess given the prevalence of quality 30+ players it is possible that it happened sometime in recent years, despite Zverev's efforts to curtail. Wimbledon 2018 had 4 30+ SFs. At 500/1000 level I'm not sure.

At the lower event levels, Pune 2019 had 32, 34, 34 and 39yo SFs.

But the two teens and two vets just accentuates the 'poor generation' stat more beautifully! Surely an extremely rare occurrence. 2000 USO is close-ish (Sampras was recently 29, Martin recently 30, Lleyton was 19, and Marat was 20 3/4). 2017 Canadian Open also narrowly had a recently 20 Zverev and recently 30 Haase along with Fed & Shapovalov.
I think when Andy Murray won Vienna a few years ago, the SF field was pretty old - I remember there being a bit of a fuss about it. Not sure if they were all over 30 though.

Last edited:
Enjoyed this. Felix is a fine young man, something a couple of Australian tennis players have never been and never will be.

Beyond the Baseline host Jon Wertheim talks with rising Canadian star Felix Auger-Aliassime and recaps with Miami Open with Andrea Leand. Now up to No. 33, the 18-year-old Auger-Aliassime discusses his rise in the rankings, his goals for the future, why family is important to him, his relationship with fellow young Canadians Denis Shapovalov and Bianca Andreescu and much more. On the second half of the podcast, Andrea Leand recaps the pros and cons of the “new” Miami Open tournament and location, Roger Federer and Ashleigh Barty’s win and more.

Listen via the link or search for tennis.com in your podcast app:
https://tennis-podcast.blubrry.net/...felix-auger-aliassime-and-miami-open-wrap-up/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tomic ended up getting smashed int he 2nd round.

Thompson keeps grinding along nicely, another QF in Houston after just getting over the line against Giraldo. Has a guy outside the top 200 in the quarters, if he wants to make semi, this is the chance.

Millman playing RBA again in round 1 of Monte Carlo right now. You'd think RBA should win this fairly comfortably. Having said that, Millman is up 2-0 in the first set :think:

Edit: Millman breaks again to take the first set 6-3 o_O Go Johnny!!! :D

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back