May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Well, we don't have one here yet.

Last week
Top-seeded Frenchman Gael Monfils defeated Canadian Vasek Pospisil 7-5, 6-3 on Sunday to become the second three-time winner of the Open Sud de France in Montpellier.

Unseeded Jiri Vesely of the Czech Republic ended a five-year title drought with a 7-6 (2), 5-7, 6-3 victory over No. 8 seed Egor Gerasimov of Belarus in Pune, India.

This week there are tournaments in Rotterdam, New York and Buenos Aires, Rotherham actually has some decent players in it.

The reason I have made this thread is that Medvedev lost at Rotterdam to Pospisil. bit of a shock result.

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Rotherham is a town in northern England, I think you mean Rotterdam :D Medvedev loss definitely a shock! I feel like you get some odd ball results for a few weeks after a GS.
haha

The thing, I think I spelt it correctly the first time yet my spell checker wanted it changed. I thought it was weird but figured that is how the Dutch operate.

we are really waiting til the IW/Miami for things to really pick up. for example, another shock result

had a bye in the first round because of this.

Last edited:

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
Why is Medvedev playing so soon after a GS I know he lost in the fourth round but he could of done with another week off? Top 5 players do not need to be playing week in and week out.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I do like to post tweets but they normally have good info on them.

Aljaz Bedene upsets Stefanos Tsitsipas 7-5, 6-4 to reach the QFs in Rotterdam. Stef is now 3-4 in 2020. the best player left in that draw is Monfils. really open field. My money is on Rublev to continue his good season so far.

I found this viewpoint on Tsitsipas interesting.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth

of course, these are the same people who would complain about the ATP Cup. Fact is, if you come from a big tennis nation, you get chances that other players just don't get.

In Rotterdam.....
Filip Krajinovic vs. [3] Gael Monfils
Pablo Carreño Busta vs. Felix Auger Aliassime

Gael is on a bit of a tear atm. Showcases how good Thiem actually was in Australia as he dismantled Gael quite easily at the AO.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Jordan Thompson beats Isner to make the quarters in New York :thumbsu:

Edit: Bah... just checked the scores, he lost to Seppi :(

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
ATP500 Rotterdam: Gael Monfils v. Felix Auger Aliassime
ATP250 Buenos Aires: Pedro Sousa v. Casper Ruud
ATP250 New York: Kyle Edmund v. Andreas Seppi

Couple of things. Watched a bit of Gaels match v Krajinovic. was tight but Krajinovic didn't cope with the big moments well. Pedro Sousa(LL) got a walkover from Schwartzman, who somehow won his last match but is now out till IW.

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Gael Monfils defeated Felix in the final last night at Rotterdam to claim his 10th singles title. Also the first time he has won back to back titles after winning Montpellier last week.

Monfils is in a purple patch. Best form of his career. Seems like the prime time for mens tennis nowadays is in your 30s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

Edmund won in New York.

Similar set-up next week. A tournament in Europe(Marseille), South America (Rio) and USA (Delray Beach)

then two 500 events the following week where the top 3 will come out to register the first of their mandatory four 500 events for the year - Djoko & Fed (&Tsitsipas) in Dubai, and Nadal (& Zverev) in Acapulco. Thiem is missing both at the moment and playing on clay in the Rio 500 this week.

March will be big with two 1000 tournaments

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Gael Monfils defeated Felix in the final last night at Rotterdam to claim his 10th singles title. Also the first time he has won back to back titles after winning Montpellier last week.
Finally got around to watching tonight, Gael was very good, didn’t give much away to Felix however FAA was mediocre, just couldn’t string any points together to mount any pressure. His FH was particularly wayward. I like his potential, great athleticism, especially for his size, and technically looks pretty sound. Might not be a while until it all clicks for him but should end the year around 12-14, if not higher if he can have a decent run at a Slam.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I don't follow mens tennis as much as I do the girls. Only things I have noticed is that Thiem has had a couple of close ones and Stevie J just beat Jack Sock in round 2. Sock finally has a rank again(800 odd) after an emotional win last round.

Rio Open QFs
Dominic Thiem v. Gianluca Mager
Pedro Martínez v. Attila Balazs
Christían Garín v. Federico Coria
Borna Coric v. Lorenzo Sonego

Delray Beach QFs
Tiafoe vs. Humbert
Nakashima vs. Nishioka
Kwon vs. Opelka
Johnson vs. Raonic

Marseille QFs
Medvedev v. Simon
Auger Aliassime v. Gerasimov
Shapovalov v. Bublik
Tsitsipas v. Pospisil

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
You'd want to be a keen dirtballer to play the South American swing and not many of those in the top 20. Easier for the Europeans to just stay "home" on indoor hard and then transition to the hard swing in the US. Wonder who the last player from an English speaking country was to regularly play the South American swing, would be a rare sight at those tournaments.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Rio is pretty weak for a 500 event, especially compared to the quarter final line up at the 250 tournament in Marseille.
rio is so open it is scary. Thiem lost and he might have a slight injury as well. One to watch out for. he will overtake Fed next week to become the 3rd ranked player.

Both Rio and Delray have been delayed by rain. While it is Auger Aliassime (7)(5th final as a teenager, still yet to win one) - Tsitsipas (2) in Marseille

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Some guy who was in the top 100 wins Rio. Nick has some choice words about the south American swing.

AA lost to stef. That is 5 in a row. I didn't see how he played but hoping it doesn't effect the kid.

This week, we have Nadal in Mexico and Novak in Dubai. We are gearing up to IW.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back