ATP ATP World Team Cup 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
War is declared. Good luck ITF. This seems pretty much exactly the same as the new Davis Cup, but with ranking points(and a better slot in the calendar). can't see how both will survive. Tennis Aus has positioned itself as the organisation most against the new Davis Cup, with a stake in both the Laver Cup and now this.

So many questions for next years schedule now. I assume the 3 cities in Aus will be Sydney, Brisbane and Perth(?). Perhaps Melbourne, as Perth is too far away and the Hopman Cup is an ITF event, but they don't need any more tennis in Melbourne. long shots would be Canberra and Adelaide. Both hold Challenger tournaments and would love a share of this.

I wonder what will happen to the WTA tournaments? Will the ATP share the courts? Will the Sydney/Brisbane WTA tournaments still go ahead as stand alone? I reckon the Hopman Cup will struggle next year for men, which is a shame.

Questions questions questions.

Last edited:
War is declared. Good luck ITF. This seems pretty much exactly the same as the new Davis Cup, but with ranking points(and a better slot in the calendar). can't see how both will survive. Tennis Aus has positioned itself as the organisation most against the new Davis Cup, with a stake in both the Laver Cup and now this.

So many questions for next years schedule now. I assume the 3 cities in Aus will be Sydney, Brisbane and Perth(?). Perhaps Melbourne, as Perth is too far away and the Hopman Cup is an ITF event, but they don't need any more tennis in Melbourne. long shots would be Canberra and Adelaide. Both hold Challenger tournaments and would love a share of this.

I wonder what will happen to the WTA tournaments? Will the ATP share the courts? Will the Sydney/Brisbane WTA tournaments still go ahead as stand alone? I reckon the Hopman Cup will struggle next year for men, which is a shame.

Questions questions questions.

Yep, questions indeed. I am puzzled how TA get away with not saying what is happening with the WTA events in Brisbane and Sydney with both being premier events and getting a lot of top players. Really hope they haven't messed with these but you have to question how they are going to run both at the time, surely it will make for awkward scheduling. Really need this answered by the time the 2019 tournament rolls around in Brisbane.

Apparently this up and coming Hopman Cup will be the last one, so maybe Perth will be involved with this as well. Again, with the lack of information from TA, who knows.

There's no way both tournaments will survive and with both basically having the same format it will come down to the one more attractive. So would that be the on held in the country of a slam 2 weeks before with ranking points or the one in the 11th month of the season without ranking points? The ITF have to know they've f***ed up here.

I can't blame the ATP and TA for introducing this, something different that might help promote the sport (the ATP Cup event does sound promising) but the lack of information and the lack of working together with all the relevant parties is disappointing to say the least.

Might have to make an effort to head up to Brisbane this summer, I've never gone and always enjoyed the event.

Yep, questions indeed. I am puzzled how TA get away with not saying what is happening with the WTA events in Brisbane and Sydney with both being premier events and getting a lot of top players. Really hope they haven't messed with these but you have to question how they are going to run both at the time, surely it will make for awkward scheduling. Really need this answered by the time the 2019 tournament rolls around in Brisbane.

Apparently this up and coming Hopman Cup will be the last one, so maybe Perth will be involved with this as well. Again, with the lack of information from TA, who knows.

There's no way both tournaments will survive and with both basically having the same format it will come down to the one more attractive. So would that be the on held in the country of a slam 2 weeks before with ranking points or the one in the 11th month of the season without ranking points? The ITF have to know they've f***ed up here.
Yeah, my money is on this rather than the "Davis" Cup. I hope it isn't the last Hopman Cup, but I can't see it surviving without any men.

you are right, TA still has a lot of questions to answer. If Sydney/Brisbane/Perth are out as WTA events, then what cities could host a Premier WTA event.

Hobart really doesn't have the facilities and I doubt any city in Aus are capable without a new build. My thinking is that a Premier tournament would move overseas at the very least. Auckland being my guess as it is close to Melbourne and in the right season, unlike Asia.

All the ridiculous money for these exhibition events is going to work while Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are around but will hold next to no interest once they move on.

Like the Australian cricket team contract set up based off % of earnings worked when they had Warne, McGrath, Ponting, Gilchrist, Hayden etc but now they have a heap of chumps comfortable raking in the big dollars for sfa.

Saw some interesting comments on twitter

The fact that a player needs to rest showcases how bad the timeslot is for the Davis Cup. Also shows that there will be a direct competition between this and the Davis Cup. Very doubtful a player will play in both.

also, saw this very interesting discussion regarding the women by Darren Cahill on twitter. Would explain the lack of WTA involvement in anything regarding exhibitions in the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not an exho, it would be an official ATP event with ranking points, so yet again Ben Rothenburg has no idea what he is talking about. I might just stop allowing twitter posts Ben Rothenburg from being posted, the guy is a pathetic excuse for a tennis journalist, he has no care for the game and all he cares about is the "drama". Remember trying to listen to a couple of his podcasts and was just wanting to throw my phone out of the car.

Yes, the silence from TA is frustrating and poor form as I have said but he is just so clueless.

It's not an exho, it would be an official ATP event with ranking points, so yet again Ben Rothenburg has no idea what he is talking about. I might just stop allowing twitter posts Ben Rothenburg from being posted, the guy is a pathetic excuse for a tennis journalist, he has no care for the game and all he cares about is the "drama". Remember trying to listen to a couple of his podcasts and was just wanting to throw my phone out of the car.

Yes, the silence from TA is frustrating and poor form as I have said but he is just so clueless.
You are right about Ben. Loves the drama.

But I should have made it clear that Ben was talking more about the fast 4 exhibition event in Sydney and not the ATP world team cup when he said
Whew, Tennis Australia's unwavering commitment to creating exhibition events for male players only remains unwavering. Whew.

Indeed, I think it was me who forgot that the ATP world team cup is actually run by the ATP :oops:

It going to be interesting to see what happens with the Hopman Cup. That last match was the best and most watched mixed doubles match for the year and very fun to watch. It would be a shame for this unique and successful event to finish for some mickey mouse ATP world team cup, which failed 10-15 years ago.

Would TA dare to keep it, an ITF event? Would there be enough male players left if they did, assuming they keep the events in Doha and India(and Auckland)

So many questions a year out. I have no faith in TA in doing this successfully

Last edited:
Read a Ben article on the Hopman Cup and its future.

The ATP will only have 1 other tournament in the first week. I hope it if Pune, as tennis needs a presence in India. They can reschedule Dubai for another date.

I also wonder what will happen to Kooyong. Can it last being a 3-day tournament? wont miss it TBH, but i am sure the locals will.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kooyong is a separate event, I would be surprised if it goes anywhere unless the club doesn't want it anymore.

And yeah, dreading that too. As long as they have kept the WTA events like they are and worked around them, then I'm ok.

The ATP have probably been trying to think of ways to make sydney more enticing for players. Sydney is a potential massive market for the atp and it has struggled for any traction for a long time now.

There are a few things wrong with the yearly schedule, but the first week of the Australian tournaments is not one of them. There is an issue with Sydney with it being the week before a slam and I think this is what it has come down to.

Last edited:
The ATP have probably been trying to think of ways to make sydney more enticing for players. Sydney is a potential massive market for the atp and it has struggled for any traction for a long time now.

There are a few things wrong with the yearly schedule, but the first week of the Australian tournaments is not one of them. There is an issue with Sydney with it being the week before a slam and I think this is what it has come down to.

Yeah I think you are right, Sydney is to important with its population size to not have a premier mens event and that is the main catalyst. It is a good tournament but because it is the week before a Grand Slam it just doesn't get the top players and when it does they withdraw.

I think there is a thought the Hopman Cup is a bit stale and may struggle once a few big name regulars retire.

To many questions at the moment to really make a judgement on it.

Yeah I think you are right, Sydney is to important with its population size to not have a premier mens event and that is the main catalyst. It is a good tournament but because it is the week before a Grand Slam it just doesn't get the top players and when it does they withdraw.

I think there is a thought the Hopman Cup is a bit stale and may struggle once a few big name regulars retire.

To many questions at the moment to really make a judgement on it.
yeah, Sydney is the main reason i feel as well. The mens side(lets ignore the fact that the Sydney draw is normally super packed) is always very light. Perhaps do a mini Auckland with Brisbane. Etc, Brisbane gets 1st-week women, 2nd-week men, Sydney the opposite. Its tough. Without moving the AO, we only really have 2 weeks and not much time at all.

I think the Hopman Cup is actually getting stronger. Yes, Fed is huge, but Zverev obviously loves the tournament as well and it seems to be getting stronger. It did get flat before fed.

Indeed, The Hopman Cup is probably the biggest PR issue atm, and not the mess that is the "Davis Cup". You look at the reaction to this tournament on twitter, and it is mostly negative because of the fear of losing the Hopman Cup. Of course, social media is full of bandwagoners and over-reactions, so take it with a pinch of salt.

And I know I am a broken record, and Ben is a drama king, but he is right in regards to TA ignoring the women. Not only in this, but also on the final set TB. The WTA need to be pro-active to protect its tournaments in Brisbane in Sydney as well.

I get why Sydney (men's side) and Kooyong might be shelved, and the Hopman Cup has felt vulnerable since the late 00s (despite this decade providing many fantastic memories, like Robredo in 2010, Aussies in 2016, B2B finals teams in 2018-19). But touching Brisbane is a bit off to me, that has been a success since the move from Adelaide.

There are only 3 ATP tournaments in Australia, so abusing 2 of them for something dread-inducing (Dusseldorf 2.0) is a disquieting risk against steady stagnation. I get why the revamp has been considered, but, I can't see this as an improvement. I'd still rather an Asian-swing 500 in Australia or something, just after the footy seasons finish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back