ATP ATP World Team Cup 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the current set up of tournaments is quite good; Hopman Cup, Brisbane, Sydney*, Hobart, Auckland and Kooyong all leading into the AO, seems to cater for most of the players who have come all this way to prepare for a slam. If it aint broke...

Just one question, why are changes being made, are the players complaining?

*They need to control their weather better though ;) :p

I think the current set up of tournaments is quite good; Hopman Cup, Brisbane, Sydney*, Hobart, Auckland and Kooyong all leading into the AO, seems to cater for most of the players who have come all this way to prepare for a slam. If it aint broke...

Just one question, why are changes being made, are the players complaining?

*They need to control their weather better though ;) :p
I think Tennis Australia want a better Sydney men tournament. The ATP want this as well, plus they see a chance to take on the ITF due to the changes at Davis Cup level.

I think most players don't care/

Looks like the puzzle pieces are falling into place.

Sydney to host new ATP Cup tournament featuring world’s best male tennis players
JANUARY 11, 2019

The Sydney International is gone. The stacked women’s WTA event will be moved to another city, likely Brisbane.

And in its place will be a game-changing “State of Origin” style men’s tournament played from January 3-12 at Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre next year that is expected to be pump $36 million into the NSW economy.

Details of the shake-up can now be revealed, with the NSW’s government’s $50 million grant to build a roof on Ken Rosewall Arena landing them the ATP Cup finals that will feature the best 24 male players around the world.

Luring the likes of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic for a week in Sydney before the Australian Open will inject unprecedented tourism dollars into the state, NSW sports minister Stuart Ayres said.

“Destinations NSW has valued it around $36 million a year in visitor expenditure in NSW, so that’s a fantastic result,” Ayres told The Daily Telegraph.

“We may do better than that, but that’s what we’ve benchmarked it at.

The ATP Cup Sydney tournament will attract the likes of (l-r) Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic.
“I don’t think the ATP Cup finals come here unless we invest in a roof at Ken Rosewall, that’s a basic fundamental and a direct relationship between events, and infrastructure investment.

“When the ATP started talking about a teams based event, I likened it from an Australian perspective to State of Origin.

“When you’re out there playing for yourself or your club it’s one thing, but once you put your national stripes on, and for the top 24 players in the world they’re leading their countries, if that doesn’t make the hairs on your next stand up and make your heart beat a little faster, then I don’t know whether you’re a sports fan.

“It’s exactly the reason we invest in infrastructure, to ensure we get those big international events, the big money spinners for our economy. They fill our hotel rooms, bars, cafes, pubs, and that creates jobs.

“We already know the visitor economy sustains 130,000 jobs in NSW, so it’s a huge contributor to our economic performance.”

Top male players have avoided Sydney for years because it’s too close to the Australian Open.

The new teams event, with $22 million in prizemoney up for grabs, will be shifted a week earlier to allow the best male players in the game adequate time for recovery before their Melbourne campaigns begin in 2020.

The women’s field, which has traditionally been stacked in Sydney because they don’t play extra sets at Grand Slams, will shift to another city next year, ending the Sydney International tournament.

“After a fantastic run here, the women’s tour won’t be in Sydney next year, this event in its current guise will move elsewhere,” Tennis NSW chief executive Lawrence Robertson said.

“We look at this from a national perspective, the fact is we have overinvested in women’s tennis for the last 25 years, we’ve provided more jobs and prizemoney for women’s tennis than we have for men’s tennis over the past 25 years.

“And there’s no reduction in the content or prizemoney, in fact I understand the commitment to prizemoney will increase in Brisbane.

More at

Article is paywalled: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...b4a84df83ded5f

So my guess for next years Schedule

ATP
Week one
Brisbane/Perth(Adelaide)/Sydney - ATP World Cup
Dubai or Pune - ATP 500/250

Sydney - ATP World Cup
Auckland- ATP 250 (forgot about this one)

WTA
Auckland - Premier/International
Shenzen - International (which could change due to the WTA tour finals)
Perth(Adelaide) - Premier/International (????????, they need another tournamet)

Brisbane - Premier
Hobart - International

Last edited:
Yeah it is all about Sydney. If I understand it correctly the ATP Cup will go for a week and a half with the final on Wednesday?

I am interested how they will go getting 24 countries.

A $10m upgrade to Memorial Drive in Adelaide announced this morning including cover for Centre Court. Apparently Adelaide will host a WTA and ATP maintour event (effectively the Sydney tournament) in 2020.

I think that means Perth, Sydney and Brisbane will host the ATP Cup. I am sure Sydney will host a WTA event still so I am confused.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news...0/news-story/fe9daad6fb3b7cfcc08d1e14ee86a9a9

Last edited:
I think Brisbane will host a WTA Premier in the 2nd week. Sydney hosts the final of the Team cup.

But if that happens, no one bar Auckland would host an ATP tournament in the 2nd week, assuming it stays having 2 weeks before the open.

Oh god, now I am confused.

Still, i think that means the Hopman Cup is dead :( Wonder how the attendances in Perth will be. You would have to hope you get a big name to match the Hopman Cup.

Did I mention I hate the Team cup thingy? For someone from a poor tennis country(let's say Greece), they won't be able to play in it and hence get ranking points which other people may get, just due to nationality. They already fighting hard with a lack of WC's like us Aussies get. Just one of my concerns.

Been confirmed that it is a straight swap for Sydney. Adelaide in the 2nd week. Good tournament for them. Wonder if it will stay a WTA Premier event though? (YES, sounds like it) I don't know how big of a complex Adelaide is to have an ATP and a WTA Premier event.

And what happens to Brisbane. What happens in the first week for the WTA. Guess we will find out a month before the new year.

As long as they don't move the longest WTA/ATP tournament in Australia in Hobart, I will be happy. I like my WTA international event.

As someone who lives in Adelaide and never thought we would see the return of a ATP/WTA event in my lifetime what is being proposed is hard to beleive.

The article in our Sunday paper says we are expecting a WTA cut off in the 30's and somewhere in the 60's for the mens which I guess mirrors the Sydney tournament of previous years which is effectively what we are getting.

I get Sydney host the ATP Cup finals but I don't understand what WTA event them and Perth will have.

Anyway for now I for one welcome our new ATP / Tennis Australia overlords.

This is from The Advertiser in Adelaide. It answers some questions but creates some more.

Some of the world’s best tennis players will finetune their skills in Adelaide after Memorial Drive was locked in as one of two Australian Open lead-up events as part of a reconfigured schedule for the 2020 ATP season.

The Adelaide tournament will be played at the same time as an event in Auckland, New Zealand, and will have a Saturday final to give players more than a week to recover ahead of the Australian Open.

The Adelaide event — which may yet announce a naming rights sponsor — will be played alongside a premier Women’s Tennis Association event which will offer more prizemoney and is expected to draw the best female players in the world.

Both of the events have effectively been moved from Sydney — which will be central in the ATP Cup — and Memorial Drive will be covered by a permanent lightweight roof after the State government tipped in $10 million to help secure the event.

Sydney’s tournament last year included top female players such as then-world No. 1 Simona Halep, then-No. 2 Angelique Kerber and another six of the world’s top-12 players, including eventual winner and then-No. 7-ranked Petra Kvitova.

Australia’s leading female player, Ash Barty, made the final.

Adelaide is expected to attract a similar field.

The strength of the Memorial Drive men’s tournament will be affected by the inaugural ATP Cup, which will be played from January 3 in Brisbane, Sydney and a third city yet to be announced but likely to be Perth.

Players knocked out of that event early are more likely to enter Adelaide than those who last deep into the event.

The new fixture spells the end of the World Tennis Challenge, an exhibition event that was founded by a group of former players including Mark Woodforde, Darren Cahill, Roger Rasheed and Alistair MacDonald.

Woodforde reflected on the imminent changes when talking to The Advertiser and said while he would be sad to see “their baby” disappear from the Australian summer, the only reason it was created was to keep some representation of top level tennis in Australia for the future of the sport.

Australia’s leading player Ash Barty and Czech Petra Kvitova are among the world’s leading players expected to come to Adelaide. Picture: Craig Golding/AAP

The ATP Cup may also lead to the end of Perth’s exhibition event, the Hopman Cup.

The ATP Cup will feature 24 teams, will be played over 10 days and offer US$15 million in prize money to launch the tennis season.

It will also be played for ranking points.

The other event played in the first week of the year will be the Qatar Open in Doha.

Other changes to the ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) calendar in 2020 include:

THE governing body issuing an open application for an ATP 250 grass court event in Europe the be played the week before Wimbledon, now being played in Antalya, Turkey

INDIA’S tournament in Pune to be moved from week 1 to week 5 in the calendar, and

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-28/hopman-cup-axed-to-be-replaced-by-atp-cup/10947582

Hopman Cup confirmed as out. Bad move I feel.

Perth will get the ATP World Cup plus an attached WTA event(but not next year). Attached WTA events to ATP Cup. WTA really should have done more to protect its position on the calendar. Being manhandled by an uncaring tennis Australia and ATP.

Tennis Australia PR team better get working.

also F*** Sydney. This is all happening because they are unhappy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know that a few big players may pull out but I'm really looking forward to this opening the 2020 season. Should be a lot of fun.

The (new) Davis Cup feels like a joke compared to this.

I really like the ATP Cup, the format and everything about it, the problem was, it was done about 10 years too late. Davis Cup/ITF have already accepted the money from Kosmos for basically the same tournament. The timing is awful.

In an ideal world, we would have both a Davis and ATP Cup, the ATP Cup would be what it is and the Davis CupP would go back to what it was with home and away ties and play it over 2 years instead of one.

Entertaining match between Moldova and Belgium at the moment.

It actually has been. I know some of these no namers are going to be smashed but part of the fun will see some of these try...

Tonight with Australia/Germany and then Fognini/Medevdev should be a lot of fun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back