Analysis Attacking handball vs defensive handball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I'd really like to see some input from Rick18 & others here.

I reckon tonight was a really good example of this Jekyll & Hyde stuff.

The attacking stuff makes us look as dangerous as any side, but it's when we do the defensive circle work stuff to maintain possession because there isn't a loose bloke to kick to, that we sell ourselves in to trouble time & again.

Sometimes you HAVE to go to a contest!

The attacking stuff makes us look as dangerous as any side, but it's when we do the defensive circle work stuff to maintain possession because there isn't a loose bloke to kick to, that we sell ourselves in to trouble time & again.

I haven't seen us break down in attack this often in years though... I'm hoping it's the result of way too many young legs in the middle and little forward press due to personnel issues. There have been so many games this year where if we'd just strung an extra 5-10 possessions together early on we'd have broken the back of teams.

I'd like to see us play on and just take things on more instead of the defensive handball. It's great when we attack with it but when we overuse it it becomes slow and predictable and other teams line it up and feast off it. Since Freo r1 last year at least.

• Banned
Don't care if it is attacking or defensive, but handballing to stationary, and often unsuspecting team mates is for the tip.

That's defensive by definition mate.

• Banned
My favourite attacking handball of the night was Atley streaming through the middle and handpassing to Zurhaars back

Wasn’t our worst 👍

It's games like that when watching this sport on tv is just the worst. Judging the players without seeing what they've got ahead is mostly just a frustration vent, but that said... :rolleyes: geez we've got some senior guys who seem to be poor judges of when to try to create with hands and when not to. Serial offenders. Its like they got too attached to the one instruction and its killed their ability to see the situation for what it is, and in the back half ffs...... Good luck to them and the coaches trying to improve it, looking fwd to seeing the game in person as it should be next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back