Coaching Footy Attacking or Defending?

Remove this Banner Ad

What style of play do you rather use?

I know there are several different types of plays within plays but it all boils down to, do you attack even when losing or do you defend?

Personally I have always coached in a defending offence and have always used it to since coaching juniors.
I utilise a defensive seven pattern from the bounce and always have two extra players behind the ball at every opportunity.

if you don't sore then you can't win and 2 players the ball all the time is almost giving up before you begin...have it in the toolbox but don't run with it most of the time...plus kids would hate it as they wanna run and have fun and defensive football is not that

It would depend on who your playing. But as ross lyon found out the hard way, defence won't win premierships. To become a successful team, you need to be dangerous attacking, and have solid defence. It needs to be close to 50/50.

2 extras behind the ball at juniors would be a bit of overkill in my book.

At a junior level I just match em up, at a senior level it is often what cards have you been dealt.

Truly defensive game plans often require a higher level of fitness and run.

Assuming I have an even hand dealt from a skill/fitness level ...I'd favour slightly defensive which would mean starting wing on the defensive side, making sure at least 1 mid is running deep into defence and no further than 50 in attack.

When I say juniors I don't mean under 10's or the like, I am talking about 17's, 18's and 19's.
Defensive attacking sides don't need a greater amount of fitness, just the ability to read the game and use their ability to fill holes in and turn defence into attack quickly.

Look at it this way, instead of playing the true 6 backs I like to have a free floating player on the left side and right side who act as defenders dropping infront of leads and to an extent jump on a free player when they come down. What it adds is a more measured approach from attacking sides, they have to slow down and use valuable time to pin point players. This then works in our favour due to most players kicking ability, yes then they have spare players in their backline unless their coach has pulled his hair out looking for our spare players.
Usually I utilise at least one in and under player as a spare as he is more willing to get the hard ball.

Yes there are pros and cons, I just genuinely like a defensive attacking game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back