Attempt to have Carlton player's 1910 match fixing suspension overturned

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Better late than never, I guess.

A bid by the descendants of Carlton footballer Alec "Bongo" Lang to overturn his five-year suspension for accepting a bribe 110 years ago has been met with an AFL rejection as abrupt as Dusty Martin's don't argue.

As Tony and Mat said to me at a recent meeting, Alec Lang might have been considered the Dustin Martin of his day," Lang said. In 1910, Carlton were in line for a fourth premiership in five years when Lang was sensationally dropped on match morning from the semi-final side to play South Melbourne because he had been reported to take a £10 bribe from a stranger in the street.

Bongo's story, verified by his father, was that he took the money as one might from a sucker, with no intention of playing dead. "It is our contention," wrote Lang, "that the book On The Take raises a reasonable doubt about Alec's intentions when he fleeced the conman of 10 pounds." He argued it was unfair that his name had been tainted from that day to this.

The AFL have swiftly dismissed the bid, and the 99-match suspensions of Lang and teammate Doug Fraser stand.

I wish I had absolutely nothing to do with my time.
Yeah cos 50000+ posts and a prolonged SFA career really says ‘busy life’ ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No need to answer if you feel uncomfortable, but what do you do for work? Wouldn't mind a job where I could surf the net a lot more
Sell/Support/Implement construction software so am sitting at a computer all day unless on site.

Interestingly, the 99-match suspensions were by far the longest the VFL/AFL tribunal had ever handed out, and they remained so for over 100 years... then Stephen Dank got life.

north player fred rutley was suspended for life in 1925 for 2 counts of kicking, 3 counts of striking and melee involvement, but later had his ban overturned in 1930 after serving 89 matches.

it is the longest suspension given to a player for an on field incident.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back