Attention- Kevin Mitchell Jnr.

Remove this Banner Ad

9 months out from the start of the test? This is not one bit funny. Mitchell sows grass for 2 of the 7 wickets and completely overlooks the fact that his actions will have consequences for the AFL & AFLW. Either Mitchell is an idiot, his actions were grossly negligent, or deliberate. I suspect the latter. I heard Mitchell is set to retire at the end of 2017. Is this his last hurrah?

I'd like to know whether the AFL /Brisbane Lions have chipped in any money towards the development of the GABBA? If not, then its time to look at other permanent options.

What has happened is an absolute slap in the face for the AFL, and for Australian Football in Brisbane

This would not happen in any other state.
It is a slap in the face, not denying it.
Sttew, as a cricket fan first I'm not overly sympathetic, freely admit that. I don't like the AFL kicking state cricket off major grounds but do understand why it happens (before people argue that point). We have a shield final on sunday played in The Alice o_O

Facts are that AFL doesn't rate too highly in Qld, like I said he'd be getting lent on heavily by Cricket Australia given this isn't just any old series upcoming, it's one that the whole world watches, he can't work on the surface during footy season, do people actually expect a curator with more than one sport as an interested party to preference a women's GF over a showpiece event.

It may suck, the AFL may be angry and ultimately it may seem unfair and unacceptable but I do understand why this decision was arrived at in the way it was. Simply AFL doesn't rate up north.

It is a slap in the face, not denying it.
Sttew, as a cricket fan first I'm not overly sympathetic, freely admit that. I don't like the AFL kicking state cricket off major grounds but do understand why it happens (before people argue that point). We have a shield final on sunday played in The Alice o_O

Facts are that AFL doesn't rate too highly in Qld, like I said he'd be getting lent on heavily by Cricket Australia given this isn't just any old series upcoming, it's one that the whole world watches, he can't work on the surface during footy season, do people actually expect a curator with more than one sport as an interested party to preference a women's GF over a showpiece event.

It may suck, the AFL may be angry and ultimately it may seem unfair and unacceptable but I do understand why this decision was arrived at in the way it was. Simply AFL doesn't rate up north.

Well said, 100% correct.

It may suck, and for the record it is poor you can't play at the MCG this week (but as you have eluded to it is understandable to a degree) as you have learnt that.

The Ashes is just huge. It is the biggest series we get and it comes every 8 years in Australia.

The Gabba is a Cricket ground first, AFL venue second, this was always going to be an issue. It is a shame that the Lions can't play their grand final at it though.

as a cricket stadium it would still have a dog track encircling the playing field.

The ashes test will get 140k (as a very conservative figure through the gates). Then you have the 4 Heat games at 30k (again conservative). That is 260k being very conservative. Of course they are going to prioritise the sport that will put more people through the turnstiles. it is just the way it is.

It takes months to get wickets perfect. Mitchell knows how to prepare them, he is the best in the country. If he feels that they need 5-6 weeks off after a concert I'm sure that is reasonable. In fact other curators think he is pretty spot on. The damage needed immediate repair. It is the test match pitch that is to be used in November, it takes months for the pitch to grow into the soil. More than likely it is the test pitch AND the reserve one.

Not as if the Lions will miss any home games. How about we wait for the weekend, we will know more by then in terms of next week. Every confidence the ground will be ready.
IMO the crowds a particular sport get are irrelevant, when it comes to stadiums queensland and by extension Kevin Mitchell Jnrs responsibilities re preparing a ground for play. contractual obligations (the lions home season commencing on the 1st of april) mean he has to take into account all tenants, the fact that he wants no traffic on the ground for 6 weeks post the re sowing which takes in the lions first 2 home games demonstrates very clearly that he is cricket centric with little or no regard for anything other than cricket.

however i am sure that the 1st of april game v essendon will be at the gabba even though KMjnr would not like it, can you imagine the s**t storm if that game had to be moved. it's such a pity that our club, fans and ladies team have had to bear the brunt of this shemozzle.

IMO the crowds a particular sport get are irrelevant, when it comes to stadiums queensland and by extension Kevin Mitchell Jnrs responsibilities re preparing a ground for play. contractual obligations (the lions home season commencing on the 1st of april) mean he has to take into account all tenants, the fact that he wants no traffic on the ground for 6 weeks post the re sowing which takes in the lions first 2 home games demonstrates very clearly that he is cricket centric with little or no regard for anything other than cricket.

however i am sure that the 1st of april game v essendon will be at the gabba even though KMjnr would not like it, can you imagine the s**t storm if that game had to be moved. it's such a pity that our club, fans and ladies team have had to bear the brunt of this shemozzle.

A cricket pitch curator caring about cricket...well blow me down. You do realise how massive the Ashes is? It is the biggest event in the country that happens once every 4 years. He is paid to get that pitch right...and he does 9 times out of 10. His pitches are generally the best in the country.

How about we blame the Qld Government (or whoever 'green lighted' that) for ridiculously allowing a concert to be played near the pitch. That has to be the most brain dead decision ever. Surely there was another viable alternative there. The Ashes was more important that a concert!

I feel for the girls I do but the Ashes is more important. It is just massive- crowds, ratings, merchandise, visitors (Barmy Army, etc). Mitchell wants it perfect and you have to understand it. I get you are not a cricket follower, but look at it from both sides.

I note you have NO problem with Victoria having to play the Sheffield Shield final at Alice Springs.....

Last edited:
A cricket pitch curator caring about cricket...well blow me down. You do realise how massive the Ashes is? It is the biggest event in the country that happens once every 8 years. He is paid to get that pitch right...and he does 9 times out of 10. His pitches are generally the best in the country.

How about we blame the Qld Government (or whoever 'green lighted' that) for ridiculously allowing a concert to be played near the pitch. That has to be the most brain dead decision ever. Surely there was another viable alternative there. The Ashes was more important that a concert!

I feel for the girls I do but the Ashes is more important. It is just massive- crowds, ratings, merchandise, visitors (Barmy Army, etc). Mitchell wants it perfect and you have to understand it. I get you are not a cricket follower, but look at it from both sides.

I note you have NO problem with Victoria having to play the Sheffield Shield final at Alice Springs.....
Once every 4 years, not 8.
But surreal we're shunted to The Alice to accommodate the annual Tigers v Blues cripple fight

Once every 4 years, not 8.
But surreal we're shunted to The Alice to accommodate the annual Tigers v Blues cripple fight

Argh yes, 4 years- I dead set get that wrong every time.

Is it bad that I'm looking forward to the cricket this weekend more?

This is despite the fact I will go to the footy on Saturday and enjoy it.

A cricket pitch curator caring about cricket...well blow me down. You do realise how massive the Ashes is? It is the biggest event in the country that happens once every 8 years. He is paid to get that pitch right...and he does 9 times out of 10. His pitches are generally the best in the country.

understand what you are saying, i am a big cricket fan myself. we could very easily have had both ie AFLW GF and a great ashes wicket. the fact that the lions play on this ground next week is very enlightening in regards to KMjnrs motivations IMO. there were 6-7 other wickets on that wicket block that were not damaged by the Adele concert and hence did not require any re sowing. if one of those wickets could not be presented in a great condition for a test match commencing on the 23rd of november 2017 i'll go and heave.

note- i'll be at all 11 lions home games this season as well as 1 or 2 days of the gabba ashes.

understand what you are saying, i am a big cricket fan myself. we could very easily have had both ie AFLW GF and a great ashes wicket. the fact that the lions play on this ground next week is very enlightening in regards to KMjnrs motivations IMO. there were 6-7 other wickets on that wicket block that were not damaged by the Adele concert and hence did not require any re sowing. if one of those wickets could not be presented in a great condition for a test match commencing on the 23rd of november 2017 i'll go and heave.

note- i'll be at all 11 lions home games this season as well as 1 or 2 days of the gabba ashes.

I blame the government/government authorities that actually okayed putting a concert at the GABBA in the first place. Whoever did that should be sacked immediately. That is where the problem came from in the first place. No concert on the GABBA...and guess what funny this...but no problem with the wicket. Dumb concerts wrecking grounds is one of my pet hates. Put it somewhere else where it won't wreck a ground!

The ground will be better next week, and the soil will have time to recover and that is good for everyone.

I blame the government/government authorities that actually okayed putting a concert at the GABBA in the first place. Whoever did that should be sacked immediately. That is where the problem came from in the first place. No concert on the GABBA...and guess what funny this...but no problem with the wicket. Dumb concerts wrecking grounds is one of my pet hates. Put it somewhere else where it won't wreck a ground!

The ground will be better next week, and the soil will have time to recover and that is good for everyone.
big concerts will not be going anywhere unfortunately too much $$$$$ to be had.

big concerts will not be going anywhere unfortunately too much $$$$$ to be had.

Then fans can't really kick up a storm if games are moved.

My view is Brisbane especially and this comes from going there goodness knows how many times....really lack a 20-30,000 indoor multi purpose arena. That would be perfect for concerts and other events.

Why is it that at no other venue where Adele performed will the grounds be out of action like the Gabba? Because they still don't have drop-in wickets? Because Kevin Mitchell despises AFL (see Leigh Matthew's comments about the battles he had when the Lions were a force).

If we were talking August / September I'd be more sympathetic, but one week before the AFL season starts and 9 months out from the Ashes.......give me a break. And when, what is it, 5 of the 7 wickets were unaffected, why the urgency about the 2 affected wickets?

Why is it that at no other venue where Adele performed will the grounds be out of action like the Gabba? Because they still don't have drop-in wickets? Because Kevin Mitchell despises AFL (see Leigh Matthew's comments about the battles he had when the Lions were a force).

If we were talking August / September I'd be more sympathetic, but one week before the AFL season starts and 9 months out from the Ashes.......give me a break. And when, what is it, 5 of the 7 wickets were unaffected, why the urgency about the 2 affected wickets?

The wicket that was being prepared for the test match was damaged, that is why there was urgency. In all likelihood the reserve wicket (which usually is the one right next to the main pitch being prepared was too.

It takes months to prepare wickets (talk to any curator and they would say the same thing), get the turf into the soil, so that it has the GABBA characteristics. Drop in pitches are diabolical and I'm glad the GABBA and the SCG haven't done that.

The ground will be fine for next week, that is the main part. Just let the ground recover, it takes time.

I bet you have no problem with Victoria playing a Sheffield Shield Final in Alice Springs....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The wicket that was being prepared for the test match was damaged, that is why there was urgency. In all likelihood the reserve wicket (which usually is the one right next to the main pitch being prepared was too.

It takes months to prepare wickets (talk to any curator and they would say the same thing), get the turf into the soil, so that it has the GABBA characteristics. Drop in pitches are diabolical and I'm glad the GABBA and the SCG haven't done that.

The ground will be fine for next week, that is the main part. Just let the ground recover, it takes time.

I bet you have no problem with Victoria playing a Sheffield Shield Final in Alice Springs....
I confess I know little about curating wickets, so I'll defer to you on this. It is no secret, though, that Kevin Mitchell is no fan of AFL.

As for VIC playing a Sheffield Shield final in Alice Springs, if we lose I'll be unhappy, but they'll probably get a bigger crowd up there than in Melbourne. That's another story

I confess I know little about curating wickets, so I'll defer to you on this. It is no secret, though, that Kevin Mitchell is no fan of AFL.

As for VIC playing a Sheffield Shield final in Alice Springs, if we lose I'll be unhappy, but they'll probably get a bigger crowd up there than in Melbourne. That's another story

It takes months to get wickets right I remember hearing Tom Parker at a function at the SCG explain what goes into preparing a test wicket.

I was shocked at how long the process is but if that's what Mitchell is worried about that is understandable.

The Shield final shouldn't be moved if you are so against the Wonens final being moved and I understand both decisions.

The Shield final shouldn't be moved if you are so against the Wonens final being moved and I understand both decisions.
The Junction Oval redevelopment is underway. It will be the new home of Victorian cricket, and will be a ‘cricket-only’ venue. It was sheer madness to play Sheffield Shield finals on the MCG at the expense of football

upload_2017-3-22_12-34-41.png

The Junction Oval redevelopment is underway. It will be the new home of Victorian cricket, and will be a ‘cricket-only’ venue. It was sheer madness to play Sheffield Shield finals on the MCG at the expense of football

View attachment 348270

It's also sheer madness to whinge at a curator who rightly so has the biggest summer of cricket in 4years at the back of his mind.

It's also sheer madness to whinge at a curator who rightly so has the biggest summer of cricket in 4years at the back of his mind.
Really? This is what I don't get. Did Mitchell forget there is an AFL season in between? Or did he say to himself, "Bugger the AFL. A test match in 9 months time is more important". There had to be middle ground, and consultation. Did Mitchell warn key stakeholders, "I'm going to re-sow two wickets and this will impact on playing football at the Gabba"

Exactly how long does it take to prepare a wicket? I'm hearing different things. If it is indeed 9 months, then Houston we have a problem

Really? This is what I don't get. Did Mitchell forget there is an AFL season in between? Or did he say to himself, "Bugger the AFL. A test match in 9 months time is more important". There had to be middle ground, and consultation. Did Mitchell warn key stakeholders, "I'm going to re-sow two wickets and this will impact on playing football at the Gabba"

Exactly how long does it take to prepare a wicket? I'm hearing different things. If it is indeed 9 months, then Houston we have a problem

It IS more important, it is the Ashes and if you don't know how big that is, look it up. You are talking up to 180,000 through the gates and that is before merchandise, tourism from the Barmy Army (English tour cheerleaders basically)....and then you have the BBL games as a side point. It is huge business. That is why the pitch is critical. Mitchell has to make it a fantastic test pitch, and also one that goes 5 days. 9 times out of 10 he does, which is why I have ZERO problem him shutting out the game this week. He has every right to put in place preparations for November.

It is not preventing at this stage any games being held at the GABBA. The Womens AFL GF was not formally scheduled for the GABBA months ago, if they wanted it there, schedule it. The round 2 Lions game will go ahead so no the GABBA won't miss football.

It depends on the soil every ground uses different types of soil, which is why in an ideal world you get different pitches. The pitch in Sydney for instance is different to the one at the GABBA. It takes months for the soil to set and gain those characteristics. The curators will know how long it takes and I'm happy to back their judgement.

The Gabba test pitches are roads which are hardly difficult to produce, the second last ashes pitch at the Gabba was a shocker and its undoubtedly the worst outfield in Australia.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
spot on, i go on the gabba surface regularly and it's terrible when compared to the MCG. we went on a tour of the MCG a couple of years ago and that surface is like a bowling green and it gets a hell of a lot more traffic than the gabba which has better growing conditions.

brilliant post Sttew, gets to the heart of the problem, deserves more than a like.:thumbsu::fire:

spot on, i go on the gabba surface regularly and it's terrible when compared to the MCG. we went on a tour of the MCG a couple of years ago and that surface is like a bowling green and it gets a hell of a lot more traffic than the gabba which has better growing conditions.

Glad that the GABBA won't ever go towards drop ins thankfully. Lot easier to be like a bowling green when the pitch is growing off site lol

Pity the GABBA pitch generally provides more for everyone. It hasn't the last couple and Mitchell will be the first to admit the last couple have been poor, but I have every confidence this year will be better and back to his usual top notch standard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back