M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Glad that the GABBA won't ever go towards drop ins thankfully. Lot easier to be like a bowling green when the pitch is growing off site lol

Pity the GABBA pitch generally provides more for everyone. It hasn't the last couple and Mitchell will be the first to admit the last couple have been poor, but I have every confidence this year will be better and back to his usual top notch standard.
i hope you are right, if we assume the re sowing was done on monday the 6th of march he has 262 days to get it in top notch condition.:)

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
It takes months to get wickets right I remember hearing Tom Parker at a function at the SCG explain what goes into preparing a test wicket.

I was shocked at how long the process is but if that's what Mitchell is worried about that is understandable.

The Shield final shouldn't be moved if you are so against the Wonens final being moved and I understand both decisions.
Yep, it takes a lot longer than people realise to get a pitch right.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
i hope you are right, if we assume the re sowing was done on monday the 6th of march he has 262 days to get it in top notch condition.:)
Once it has bedded in which should be hopefully in the next week or two you can play multiple games a week on it without damage, the first 4-6 weeks are the most crucial and require no traffic on them

Yep, it takes a lot longer than people realise to get a pitch right.

Exactly. It's not possible to do it in 10 weeks, it just won't happen, ever. You are talking months to get a pitch perfect.

Once it has bedded in which should be hopefully in the next week or two you can play multiple games a week on it without damage, the first 4-6 weeks are the most crucial and require no traffic on them

Bingo, that is the timeframe I have heard as well. Next week will be fine. This week was just a few days too early. No point risking it especially with weather around.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
not an expert on pitch preparation except for the backyard one for the grand kids so i'll take your word for it. the lions game v essendon is exactly 4 weeks since one of the Adele concerts so on the very low end of that time frame. it has been raining for 5 days here and more is forecast, the essendon game could end up being a quagmire.

i have said this before but KMjnr could quite easily have used one of the other half dozen pitches that did not require re sowing post the Adele concert for the test match. if he couldn't do that there is something wrong.

Apr 10, 2004
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Liverpool
It is huge. It is big.

But it doesn't come once every 8 years. Look it up.

Yes 4 years, the point stands.

It's much more important than a Womens AFL GF.

The round 2 AFL game will still go ahead as scheduled.

Everyone will forget about this next week!

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good to see cricket striking back. AFL supremos whining about it is tough t***ies.

Meanwhile the Vics Shield home final will be played in Alice Springs while AFL is played at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Good to see cricket striking back. AFL supremos whining about it is tough t***ies.

Meanwhile the Vics Shield home final will be played in Alice Springs while AFL is played at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

I note there is NO problem from Lions fans about this...at least the womens game is 50 minutes away from the GABBA?

Someone want to tell me how long it is from Melbourne to Alice Springs...I doubt it is 50 minutes!

Jim Prideaux

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
ColoradoAvalancheLiverpoolFCGrenobl
I note there is NO problem from Lions fans about this...at least the womens game is 50 minutes away from the GABBA?

Someone want to tell me how long it is from Melbourne to Alice Springs...I doubt it is 50 minutes!
In a fighter jet maybe?

In a fighter jet maybe?

Yeah good luck!

At least Carrara (whilst annoying and yes I get that) is a short drive and free public transport this week.

Meanwhile the Shield Final is hours away from Melbourne...

Jim Prideaux

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Argh yes, 4 years- I dead set get that wrong every time.

Is it bad that I'm looking forward to the cricket this weekend more?

This is despite the fact I will go to the footy on Saturday and enjoy it.
I'm also looking forward to Dharmsala more than round one. Having said that, I will gorge myself and watch AFL, AFLW and cricket.

The Junction Oval redevelopment is underway. It will be the new home of Victorian cricket, and will be a ‘cricket-only’ venue. It was sheer madness to play Sheffield Shield finals on the MCG at the expense of football

View attachment 348270
Sad day. Pushed off our spiritual home to appease ******* football.
Sad day when it's all done.

Jim Prideaux

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Yeah good luck!

At least Carrara (whilst annoying and yes I get that) is a short drive and free public transport this week.

Meanwhile the Shield Final is hours away from Melbourne...
Agreed, at least CV is taking steps to stop this with the Junction redevelopment. Alice springs though, surely there was a better option in country Victoria.

The biggest story out of this is how beholden to the Gabba the AFL are.

I'm also looking forward to Dharmsala more than round one. Having said that, I will gorge myself and watch AFL, AFLW and cricket.

Not sure I'll watch much of the womens game but that is because our Swans game is that silly 4:45pm timeslot...probably hope we are batting and listen to the cricket on the radio while I'm there. Takes me a good hour and 20 mins from where I live now to the ground. That is okay though as I don't mind listening to Grandstand or SEN on my phone.

Agreed, at least CV is taking steps to stop this with the Junction redevelopment. Alice springs though, surely there was a better option in country Victoria.

The biggest story out of this is how beholden to the Gabba the AFL are.

Yep the Junction redevelopment should be good although I'd like some Shield games at the MCG.

I agree on the 2nd point, but that is just reality, it is mainly a cricket ground.

Sad day. Pushed off our spiritual home to appease ******* football.
Sad day when it's all done.
Only for Sheffield Shield!

The MCC Board will be voting on 1 April to officially change the name to the MSG, Melbourne Sports Ground, in recognition of the fact it is not just a cricket stadium

Only for Sheffield Shield!

The MCC Board will be voting on 1 April to officially change the name to the MSG, Melbourne Sports Ground, in recognition of the fact it is not just a cricket stadium
Yes and Victoria is synonymous with the MCG. A move that makes me resent AFL football. It's about time they strike back and don't let the AFL get its way.

Another sad day, removing any reference to the G's past and heritage.

Jim Prideaux

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Yep the Junction redevelopment should be good although I'd like some Shield games at the MCG.

I agree on the 2nd point, but that is just reality, it is mainly a cricket ground.
I agree, I mention it because it show the AFL have no other Brisbane option. Means the Gabba can play hardball if they wish.

No AFL at the GABBA for 4-6 weeks?

No AFL at the GABBA for 4-6 weeks?

4 weeks

It will be 4 weeks (just a bit over) until the start of round 2.

The Women's GF was never locked in.

Glad cricket is fixing the pitch, we need it perfect.

I agree, I mention it because it show the AFL have no other Brisbane option. Means the Gabba can play hardball if they wish.

Rightly so, and it is why rather than wasting money in other places, maybe build a 20-30k multi purpose stadium.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
9 months out from the start of the test? This is not one bit funny. Mitchell sows grass for 2 of the 7 wickets and completely overlooks the fact that his actions will have consequences for the AFL & AFLW. Either Mitchell is an idiot, his actions were grossly negligent, or deliberate. I suspect the latter. I heard Mitchell is set to retire at the end of 2017. Is this his last hurrah?

I'd like to know whether the AFL /Brisbane Lions have chipped in any money towards the development of the GABBA? If not, then its time to look at other permanent options.

What has happened is an absolute slap in the face for the AFL, and for Australian Football in Brisbane

This would not happen in any other state.
The bloke simply dislikes AFL, and has form for this type of behaviour in previous years. The AFL needs to plant an AFL man like the Suns have at Metricon which by the way has a far superior surface and is a superior ground to watch the footy at.

Back