Remove this Banner Ad

portly

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2001
SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Forgive me for I am very frustrated.

It is the first half I am worried about.

God: - I listened to 5AA all day. A listener rang up to complain about the pro-Brisbane bias from Russell, which is what I was thinking as well. From before the match started Russell seemed to constantly go on about how good Brisbane players were and how hard it would be for Port. Did he and other leaders do this all week? By the time the game started did the players feel that they had no chance?

Mark: - We knew this was going to be a ferocious start. They were far more physical than us. Strength and decision-making in close are important. Though our players would have been primed, were they primed to be defensive or to be attacking? If the main emphasis is on the opposition player then it is difficult to attack the ball - you have slower reactions - reactive rather than proactive. How about attacking the ball ferociously rather than the player, and then our decision-making might be better. I think you are a great coach but you don't seem to be able to get the players "up", mentally attuned, before a some big matches.

Dewey, Roger, Josh Carr, Schoey, Burger, Tredders, Puss, Chad, Che, Ladey (not in any particular order): - when the going gets tough, where do you go? (Was Nick Stevens used defensively this game? - probably not). Perhaps I should leave Roger James out of this list because he was just given 2nd best Port player by God, but he seemed very indecisive at times to me.

This loss was an attitude problem. The players were overawed, not enough confidence. They ARE good enough to win a premiership, THIS year. I feel very confident that we will be thereabouts at the end of the year. But what has bothered me in every crunch game since about the middle of last year is the attitude in those games (and this includes the Wizard Cup and I went there).

At the start of 2001 in our Ansett Cup win we thrashed Brisbane. Brisbane did not have the right attitude. But they certainly did by the end of the year, and do now.

Right now we do not have the right attitude, not hard enough mentally at all. We have a couple of months to get there. Let's stop even thinking about how good the opposition is and start concentrating on making ourselves mentally stronger and positive.

This was an important match in the context of this year. We have had a reality check and should not hide away from the messages that will come out of it.

Sorry, I'll probably start thinking more rationally tomorrow!

PS Wish my first thread started wasn't so negative.:rolleyes:

There was definately a large mental hurdle IMO.

Apart from the 1st and last 10 minutes we slogged it out pretty evenly, but we were always working hard and going against the flow for our scores.

Games over, on to next week.

Originally posted by portly

Dewey, Roger, Josh Carr, Schoey, Burger, Tredders, Puss, Chad, Che, Ladey (not in any particular order): - when the going gets tough, where do you go? (Was Nick Stevens used defensively this game? - probably not). Perhaps I should leave Roger James out of this list because he was just given 2nd best Port player by God, but he seemed very indecisive at times to me.

No i think Roger James deserves to be in that list. About a dozen times he tried to run around or baulk around a tackler and everytime he got caught...he is over confident in his own abilities. He is not quick or agile enough to do that and he always gets caught.

Maybe a bit tough on Schofield and Tredders. Tredders tried all day but the delivery to him was perfect for his opponent to simply punch the ball away from him all day long. Schofield has been fantastic this year and stood up in the showdown and i thought he was very good again today.

Dewy might be looking towards a trip to the SANFL soon if he does not improve. Hes done very little this year and seems lost. Josh Carr is another who has been dissapointing this year. Hes not having an impact this year. Burgoyne did alright today. Cornes...well i think everyone knows what i think of him...one good game every 5 weeks. Cockatoo Collins spent most of the day running around like a chicken so i dunno what his problem was.

I think your Coach asked too much from Primus.

That man ran all day and was almost at every contest. I am not surprised that he breaks down as much as he does.

Too much done by too few.

And now, you don't have him at all.

A tragedy, that should not have happened.

Somebody really needs to give players such as Dewy, Carr & Che a rocket as they really haven't had much impact this year at all.

Chad Cornes has had a couple of ****e game this year mixed in with a couple of good ones, where was his head today? He goes missing all too often.
Burgoyne & Wanga were also down a bit today hopefully this is only a one week lapse.

Kingsley (not Kent but Adam!!) was a little quiet today.

Bishop again IMO didn't play particularly well, his form has dropped in the last month after a good start, hope the Pax is well again soon!!

The rest of our backmen in Mead (great mark), Wakes (close to BOG IMO), Hardwick and Monty (went forward a kicked a couple also) all played either well or very well.

Poults & Kane Cornes impressed off the bench as well. Michael Stevens again did not!

Ladey gave us a spark in the last few minutes of the first quarter when in ruck, but didn't play well for the most part. Then coped another injury, bad luck big fella.

Tredders played a good first half but didn't give us much thereafter.

Primus improved as the game went on until a Charman knee was lodged into his spine.

Our midfielders in James & Schofield played well. Nick Stevens wasn't bad either. Francou was less impressive today however.

All in all a pretty below average effort IMO. Our third quarter was obviously our best, but again today our start was a worry. Perhaps the heat (& a couple of injuries) were the main reason why we faded out in the last quarter. Just a quick one - will Headland (?) be in a bit of trouble for his elbow to the crown jewels of Monty?

Originally posted by BrisGirl
I think your Coach asked too much from Primus.

That man ran all day and was almost at every contest. I am not surprised that he breaks down as much as he does.

Too much done by too few.

And now, you don't have him at all.

A tragedy, that should not have happened.

he doesnt ask too much of Primus. After Lade went off we had no other player to play in the Ruck. Him breaking down doesnt help when your ruckmen knees him deadsquare in the back :mad:
Primus was probably still suffering from the injury he got three weeks ago.

Originally posted by portly

Mark: - We knew this was going to be a ferocious start. They were far more physical than us. Strength and decision-making in close are important. Though our players would have been primed, were they primed to be defensive or to be attacking? If the main emphasis is on the opposition player then it is difficult to attack the ball - you have slower reactions - reactive rather than proactive. How about attacking the ball ferociously rather than the player, and then our decision-making might be better. I think you are a great coach but you don't seem to be able to get the players "up", mentally attuned, before a some big matches.

I have trouble giving votes of the year on this one as I really do think it was a dud gameplan.
We tricked ourselves again.
We have the cattle on the paddock to go long and fast but the players are too scared to do so.
If Tredrea, Cornes and Lade are given a chance at one on one they will win us the game.
When our plan is more focused at stopping their strengths then exploiting our own we will invariably lose.
A few times we went against what seemed to be the gameplan and got easy goals.
I think we go negative when confronted with big matches and thus play into their strengths.

Originally posted by Macca19

he doesnt ask too much of Primus. After Lade went off we had no other player to play in the Ruck. Him breaking down doesnt help when your ruckmen knees him deadsquare in the back :mad:
Primus was probably still suffering from the injury he got three weeks ago.

Seemed to me that Primus received something he had been trying to hand out to Charman. If you're going to do that you must expect to get hurt.

Primus worsened the injury to his leg from a couple of weeks ago, Lade snapped his ankle, Montgomery did something to his leg also.

Gameplan: I reckon we've started every quarter this year the same way......setting up to take the offense. When we can get ahead, it works and we have a great start....but when our opponent is more prepared or ready to go than we are, we're getting a classically poor start.

Tredrea: Due to our possession/marking game, and Brisbane's instructions, we never had an opportunity to get the ball to Tredrea properly unless we played on......whenever we took a mark between centre and half-forward, our player would be instantly wrapped up and hung onto while they went back to take the kick...a lot of movement backwards and position can be made by Brisbane during this time, and of course, there's no umpiring protection for that. So most times we went forward, by the time the ball could go there, we were clogged. Essentially, we need to re-learn how to play on through the midfield and half forward properly. Tredrea is good, but he's no good against two defenders.

The third tall forward: We need one. Chad Cornes, if he was allowed to play as a flanker or pocket in the John Barker mould, would be a very good player. As it is, he's in a key position and can get caught out. We're still a FF or CHF short.

Receivers: We have a lot of these, but that isn't even the problem...the problem is confidence in ball handling. Hanging on to the ball too long, sending handpasses high rather than long and straight....these undo us. When we play with confidence and skill, we do well - still susceptible to pressure in this department however.

Wakelin: Was good to see Wakelin kick a goal today - he plays like a full forward, and given that we still have more tall defenders than any other tall category, giving him a run at FF might not be a bad idea next week, while Thurstans or Morgan cut their teeth on a Kent Kingsley or similar.

Long goals: We don't get to see them any more. Why?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many kicks were there from the centre to FF?
How many all year?
The answer is so close to zero that it must have something to do with instructions.

My thoughts on the game.......

The first 10 minutes was our worst footy of the year........the midfielders were missing, second to the ball, fumbling and no-where near their opponents when they were running. Although the stats indicate otherwise I thought we did well in the ruck but they were winning the ball against our taps by being in front of our midfielders.......except in the 3rd quarter where I thought they played their only full quarter........

For some reason we continued to try to run and handball out of a contest with the resultant handball only setting someone else up......we would slowly work the ball up the ground and then make a slight mistake and would pay for it with an easy goal up the other end.......we did not get any easy goals today........we may get away this type of football against other sides but not Brisbane or a full strength Essendon..........

Although they had no impact on the final result the umpiring was shocking........some very unusual free kicks given at times when nothing happened.......and as usual very very inconsistent.......I can handle them being bad but they have to be consistent with their interpretations........if it wasn't for Hardwick upsetting a few of their blokes resulting in stupid infringements by their players we would have been slaughtered in the count........21-19 with Hardwick getting 6.

Too many times we didn't appear to have options up the ground - not that you can tell properly with the camera shots but too often our players were looking for an option up the ground but had to go sideways or backwards.........we need to move quicker up the ground to make it easier on the forwards......take your time and they will get slaughtered........

Half forward line......did we have one today........Tredrea tried hard all day but our delivery was shocking or slow resulting in 2-3 players up against him.........and then when the ball spilt instead of us having numbers we were missing........I also think Chad needs to pick up his game........9 goals from 7 games for a marking forward is just not good enough.....

Where were our crumbers.........time for Dewy and Che to have a run in the SANFL........Dew has really only played about 10 mins of good footy all year..............how many times did their opponents run up the ground while they stood and watched.......

I thought we were the better side in the 3rd and 1st half of the last quarter but couldn't put a score on the board to show it.......

If it wasn't for our backline players again the score could have been much worse.......yes they made some errors at times but that had more to do with how easily the ball came down the ground.........and I nominate Mead for Mark Of The Round.......that was a pearler.......

My best players in no real order......Hardwick, Schofield, Wakelin, Primus and Tredrea

Disappointments......Dew, Che, Carr, Wanganeen, C & K Cornes

Please bring in Guerra, French, Thurstans/Morgan, Cassisi/Hall and possibly Bassett next week.

As for the injuries I hope Primus's is just a nerve, Ladey will depend on the ligaments.....I was amazed when the commentators said only a couple of weeks.........I'd be thinking at least 3-4......and Monty's looked more like a twinge cos he was walking ok after the game.......

Portly I agree with your comments about confidence......this was a game where we could have gone top but we looked anything but a side in that position today.........we need to play to our positives instead of worrying so much about how we will stop the opposition..........

Eago77 I disagree with your comments on K Cornes and M Stevens.........I thought Poulton and Stevens played pretty well but K Cornes was his usual standard......his tackling and kicking is not up to AFL standard.......but he had a few mates out there today.......

PAfolwr do you think it is actually the gameplan or our players lack of confidence at times........surely our game plans uses our strengths as we all know they can play the game but to me they go back to their bad old tricks when things go against them.......I would have been going ape**** if I was in the coaches box in that first quarter........that was just unacceptable football by too many of our players.......

Headland or was it Johnson.??...... has to go for that ugly attack on Monty.....didn't look too bad until they had the replay from the right angle.......that has to be worth at least 2-3 weeks if not more........I can't see how he can defend hitting a player like that as he knew exactly what he was doing.........

I was also stunned to read the following comment on one of the reviews from the game......'Before Darren Mead can turn his attention to facing Geelong at Football Park on Saturday, he must first answer a charge of striking Luke Power of the Lions, during the third quarter of Sunday’s game.'

Would that have been when they had the free kick out of centre immediately after a goal.........

Anyway that's my rantings for now.........at least it's only round 7 and I look forward to playing them again at Footy Park in round 22........

Go Port

Originally posted by PAfolwr
How many kicks were there from the centre to FF?
How many all year?
The answer is so close to zero that it must have something to do with instructions.

And is no doubt linked to the lack of long kicks to the forward line from Lade and Dew, among others

Remove this Banner Ad

Back