Welcome Audi good Sponsorship news

Remove this Banner Ad

Audi has an interesting approach to sports sponsorship. They've long under-spent their direct German rivals on marketing, while spending a big proportion of their marketing budget on sports sponsorships.
And their sports sponsorship is carefully targeted. Most car companies sponsor sport largely for general brand exposure - meaning its not critical which teams you sponsor. Audi is more selective. They focus on their demographic (younger buyers of prestige vehicles); and on associating their brand with sporting success, the values their demographic aspire to, and cultural relevance.

In practice, this means they target particular sports or segments of sports that are most relevant to their demographic, such as soccer across Europe; winter sports across northern Europe & Canada; soccer and (until recently) polo in the uk; and the leading international comp for weekend-warrior golfers.

It also means that they target sporting teams with long track records of outstanding success. For example, in European soccer, they sponsor traditional power-house teams Real Madrid, Barcelona FC, Bayern Munich, AC Milan and Manchester United.

Notice the pattern? Hawthorn is to the AFL/Australia what each of those teams is in their country - the most dominant team over the last generation or so, in the pre-eminent (ie culturally relevant) sport.

Having targeted the AFL, they would have picked Hawthorn for its record of success, possibly combined with Hawthorn's perceived association with certain values.

I find it laughable that Audi went to the AFL and asked them which AFL team to sponsor. Only the AFL spin machine could come up with a story like that.

Audi also sponsor whole sporting leagues/competitions. For example, in soccer they sponsor Major League Soccer and attempted to sponsor the Champions League.

When they originally approached the AFL, my guess is that they enquired about sponsoring the whole league... At which point Gil's minions tried (and unsurprisingly failed) to sell them on sponsoring St Kilda or the Bulldogs.

Big question is whether the players get to keep their Audis? Or are players just able to loan them if they put a few pics on social media?

Big question is whether the players get to keep their Audis? Or are players just able to loan them if they put a few pics on social media?
The routine arrangement is to loan cars to players. The car company wants the players seen driving current-year models in immaculate condition. They are also typically very conscious of which models they hand out. They want glamour players being seen as mobile advertisements (complete with social media exposure). This is marketing-driven.

Audi gets high-profile media attention in Europe via their annual presentations of new cars to members of super-elite soccer teams. (You can google video-coverage of these.)

For example, each year they have a presentation day for Real Madrid players. Each Madrid player gets to choose which model they'll receive for the next year (although R8's are not an option bc Audi want the players seen in cars ordinary punters might buy). It's orchestrated as a surprise: as each car appears, you see what Player-x chose. Player-x gets into his new car and drives it down a ramp, cameras rolling. Then comes the next player...

While punters might think "that's what i'd have chosen; geez, how lucky to be getting a Q5 for free", your Madrid player might well be thinking "and how many days per year do i have to drive this shmuck-mobile, instead of one of my supercars?"

It was hilarious when Chrysler thought they would copy this Audi formula, a few year back. Chrysler signed a massive deal with Manchester United, with the same annual player car presentations arrangement central to the deal. Problem was that the Man-U players rebelled: none of the leading players were willing to take anything in the Chrysler range - "no way i'm being seen in something that crappy..."

Back to the original question - if you were to give a car to a local player, it would also create a substantial tax liability (ie the ATO would think that the full value of the new car constitutes taxable income in the financial year of receipt). Much easier for a player to argue, if they have a tax audit, that they aren't getting a benefit from a loan-car. They could contend that they are contractually obligated to take the car, and and taking it comes with inconvenient conditions (eg obligation for it to be cleaned weekly; the obligation to drive it with a certain frequency even if you have other (ie more exotic) cars etc etc).

I hope that wont affect my corporate deal with Audi for my car servicing. Used my Hawthorn membership when I bought my Audi 2 years ago. Nice little extra.

From that article about the end of the Audi sponsorship

"The Sydney Swans are again Australia’s most widely supported AFL club for the 14th straight year now with 1.17 million supporters, over half-a-million supporters ahead of the two leading Victorian clubs Collingwood with 660,000 supporters and Essendon with 651,000 supporters,” Roy Morgan CEO Michele Levine said.

"1.17 million Supporters" Oh boy...

200.gif

"The Sydney Swans are again Australia’s most widely supported AFL club for the 14th straight year now with 1.17 million supporters, over half-a-million supporters ahead of the two leading Victorian clubs Collingwood with 660,000 supporters and Essendon with 651,000 supporters,” Roy Morgan CEO Michele Levine said.

200.gif
They must of used the same counting system as they do for Metricon

They could contend that they are contractually obligated to take the car, and and taking it comes with inconvenient conditions (eg obligation for it to be cleaned weekly; the obligation to drive it with a certain frequency even if you have other (ie more exotic) cars etc etc).
I wish my life was this tough...

200.gif
When they poll people about which team they support they should have to be able to name at least 10 current players from their team for it to count. For supposed Sydney supporters it can just be one player as long as it's not Buddy.

200.gif

That is embarrassing.... is there a fairer weather supporter than the AFL $wans lot?

When they poll people about which team they support they should have to be able to name at least 10 current players from their team for it to count. For supposed Sydney supporters it can just be one player as long as it's not Buddy.
Well if you cant count Buddy, there's still
1. Lance Franklin
2. Jesintas husband
3. Hannas mate
4. No. 23
5. Franko
..... etc
That'd be 6 to most of those 1. something or other people.

Frauds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if you cant count Buddy, there's still
1. Lance Franklin
2. Jesintas husband
3. Hannas mate
4. No. 23
5. Franko
..... etc
That'd be 6 to most of those 1. something or other people.

Frauds.
How many do you reckon would still name Adam Goodes as a current Swans player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back