Aunty's Art Emporium

I'm never alright for music.

Frustratingly realistic is a good way to describe parts of Marriage Story.

Still yet to see Knives Out and The Gentlemen. Keep to see both.

Have you seen either of the films Ari Aster has put out lately? Hereditary and Midsommar?
Hadn't heard of Hereditary. I've had Midsommar on my watch list for a while but so many reviews (both good and bad) have put me off. Might watch it at some point but the genre doesn't necessarily appeal to me.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Hadn't heard of Hereditary. I've had Midsommar on my watch list for a while but so many reviews (both good and bad) have put me off. Might watch it at some point but the genre doesn't necessarily appeal to me.
Yeah fair enough. Both films have had him challenging as one of my favourite directors ever. They are both shot beautifully and the acting is spot on. Tiny Collette in Hereditary in particular. Marketed and spoken about as a horror movie, but it's much more of a family drama movie. Brilliant. I had been feeling disinterested with modern horror and basically films in general, but Hereditary sparked that love again.

Midsommar is much more of a breakup film than what the trailer might suggest. But again, it is shot and written amazingly.

If you like film in general then I cannot suggest them highly enough.

Both are much more than what is first thought. Also best to go in without reading much about them.

Both hit pretty close to home to me which made the already decent acting feel all the more real to me. Both managed to illicit real reactions and emotions from me.

Sep 6, 2009
FNQ
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Bears
Bombshell 7.5/10 - John Lithgow and Charlize Theron were great. The seven-part series The Loudest Voice is much better though.
Dark Waters 7.5/10 - Anything with Mark Ruffalo in it is worth seeing.
Parasite 8/10 - Got a screener with dodgy subtitles so that spoiled certain parts but it was very good.
Richard Jewell - 8/10 - Good cast. Makes you think about how you treat people. Warm fuzzy feelings. Has the added bonus of Sam Rockwell.
Jojo Rabbit 9.5/10 - Absolutely brilliant. Have watched it four times. The ending just makes you want to smile. Also has the added bonus of Sam Rockwell.
Little Women 7.5/10 - Can't fault it too much but not really a fan of period stuff.
1917 6/10 - Terribly disappointing. Sure, the one-shot style is well done and should be applauded, but it ultimately fell flat. The contrast between the two main characters didn't work. The moments of conflict and escalating tension didn't work. There was little empathy felt. I like George MacKay but the two main characters were sorely lacking. I think it was mostly down to the writing.
Knives Out 6.5/10 - Bit meh for me but others seem to enjoy it.
Marriage Story 7.5/10 - Good without being great. There's something about Adam Driver that bugs me. Frustratingly realistic.
The Gentlemen 9/10 - Can't really go wrong with Guy Ritchie. Hugh Grant was amazing. Very good cast.
Uncut Gems NR - Got about 25 minutes in before I had to give up. It made me uncomfortable and nauseous.

And The Irishman?

And The Irishman?
Got about 20 minutes into that before I gave up - admittedly wasn't in the best mood for a three hour movie. Don't think I'll give it another go tbh.

AuntyBlindEye - I'm not a movie buff at all. I just happened to d/l heaps of screeners recently coz it's movie season.

Great thread ABE. Liked the reviews from beez. I too ditched The Irishmen at around the 20 minute mark.

Am sporadically returning to Occupied, a slow burn Nordic story on Netflix. Looks like it is worth the effort.

Just introduced an ex Ms B52 to London Spy which I watched a couple of years ago. A very well made series. For me the series has the bonus of the eternally rampant goddess - Charlotte Rampling.

I am really hanging out for new series of Babylon Berlin, Ozarks and Dark.

Art wise, I cannot draw a straight line with a ruler, but in a month or so I will post here the result of a collaboration I'm doing with a community artist and my best mate.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Great thread ABE. Liked the reviews from beez. I too ditched The Irishmen at around the 20 minute mark.

Am sporadically returning to Occupied, a slow burn Nordic story on Netflix. Looks like it is worth the effort.

Just introduced an ex Ms B52 to London Spy which I watched a couple of years ago. A very well made series. For me the series has the bonus of the eternally rampant goddess - Charlotte Rampling.

I am really hanging out for new series of Babylon Berlin, Ozarks and Dark.

Art wise, I cannot draw a straight line with a ruler, but in a month or so I will post here the result of a collaboration I'm doing with a community artist and my best mate.
Haven't heard of London Spy, is it a crime drama type thing? Netflix?

I quite enjoyed Ozark, I didn't realise there was more to come, a bit behind with Netflix offerings.

Oooooooo sounds interesting, keen to have a gander. Can you give any details or is it a secret for now?

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I was going to post a bunch of recommendations today, but I have just learnt of the passing of Sean Reinert who is most known for his work on drums with Death and Cynic.

Sean was an incredible drummer. An absolute idol of mine a massive inspiration.

He also did a lot of good for any gay kids who were a fan with his openness about his own sexuality. Something that is important, especially in a genre as full of machismo as Death metal. I can't speak to those experiences myself, but have seen first hand the positive effect what he said and did had in people.

With Death he helped solidify what death metal had become and with Cynic he helped elevate death metal beyond the limited boundaries it had set for itself. Not many people can say they were present for the birth and then the rebirth of a genre.

He helped show that an ugly and unwelcoming genre can have intense beauty and accept anyone that wishes to join.

I first heard Cynic when I was 3, so they have been a pretty big constant throughout my life, even with the limited number of albums they have.

Rest in peace mate.

Aug 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
Transformers - Michael Bay at his god damn best, master piece. This truly knocks story telling in big budget films out of the park. I'd like to see Spielburg or Fincher create something as complexly brilliant.
Bumblebee - I didn't think I'd like a film more than I like the original transformer but check it out the guy is yellow now. Really rate this movie's pacing, tone, expressionism and intricacy...and the twist at the end just had me absolutely bamboozled, i mean wow! fantastic
The Tourist - have yall ever seen something more compelling than the toruist, the one thing that left me in absolute shock was how strong the chemistry was between the two leads. Riveting, every second of it. Highly recommend.
Dirty Grandpa - I mean just talk about an unstoppable premise! this film is just the classic, De Niro doing what he does best, Zac EFfron the great method actor and a story that could have been written by dante himself. word up i would watch it again
Shrek 3 - enough said

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Transformers - Michael Bay at his god damn best, master piece. This truly knocks story telling in big budget films out of the park. I'd like to see Spielburg or Fincher create something as complexly brilliant.
Bumblebee - I didn't think I'd like a film more than I like the original transformer but check it out the guy is yellow now. Really rate this movie's pacing, tone, expressionism and intricacy...and the twist at the end just had me absolutely bamboozled, i mean wow! fantastic
The Tourist - have yall ever seen something more compelling than the toruist, the one thing that left me in absolute shock was how strong the chemistry was between the two leads. Riveting, every second of it. Highly recommend.
Dirty Grandpa - I mean just talk about an unstoppable premise! this film is just the classic, De Niro doing what he does best, Zac EFfron the great method actor and a story that could have been written by dante himself. word up i would watch it again
Shrek 3 - enough said
Michael Bay clearly the new Kubrick.

Couldn't agree more with these reviews.

Hey mate. How you going? What's clods thread about?

Reviewing Ant Bear's admin performance over S.28. Looks about as helpful as a hatfull of arseholes. I mean the guy is great and as I understand it is doing a prodigious amount of work on a Qooty upgrade. BUT he has relevance deprivation disorder. Not great a time either when we are trying to encourage people to come and stay here.

Last edited:

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Reviewing Ant Bear's admin performance over S.28. Looks about as helpful as a full of arseholes. I mean the guy is great and as I understand it is doing a prodigious amount of work on a Qooty upgrade. BUT he has relevance deprivation disorder. Not great a time either when we are trying to encourage people to come and stay here.
That qooty update better be good.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I must say I am a little tired of moaners. Sadly there are some here who would find it physically nauseating to have to say something positive about another human being.
I'll try to be better for you from now on my dear mentor.

I assumed certain moans to be comedic or hammed up, but the longer it continues the less sure I am of that.

Sep 6, 2009
FNQ
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Bears
Reviewing Ant Bear's admin performance over S.28. Looks about as helpful as a hatfull of arseholes. I mean the guy is great and as I understand it is doing a prodigious amount of work on a Qooty upgrade. BUT he has relevance deprivation disorder. Not great a time either when we are trying to encourage people to come and stay here.

If you only knew him when he first started

I'll try to be better for you from now on my dear mentor.

I assumed certain moans to be comedic or hammed up, but the longer it continues the less sure I am of that.

You are the antithesis of a moaning poster.

Back