Grand Slam Aus Open - Day 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Alesana

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Zverev looked rusty today but should improve with more matches - Can you imagine Rothenburg's meltdown on twitter if Zverev wins the AO.

Have a questions about the crowds ? They looked to be down even taking into account the 50% crowd cap - I've attended the first week on a few occasions where I focus on the outside courts and it's Jam packed with people - You need the overseas visitors back who add to the vibe of the event.
Day 1 had about 38% attendance compared to 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamingja

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I actually think it is really important for Zverev to dust players early in the tournament. He has a good 5 set record on paper but it is because he gets taken to 5 sets by people he should beat in 3. Needs to get them over with quickly and conserve the energy for the end of the tournament.

DeanoT

Premiership Player
May 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic
Me to and she had a great rack.

Sadly now she looks like she just ate AAMI park.

1642414576499.jpeg

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Tuart Hill, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
Not happy that Kokkinakis got beaten in the first round, knew it would happen. He will be devasted.

Back to the drawing board. Hopefully he'll go overseas and play the hardcourts if he can get a few wildcards.

AdelaideGT

All Australian
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Young* John Millman needs to put his foot down now to stop Lopez from taking it to a fifth set.

* only young when compared to Lopez

PonsfordMagpie

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
Ash was at her brutal best.

Kokkinakis the disappointment of the day.

Lucky loser, Caruso lost in straight sets.

Have to admire Feliciano Lopez. Man loves the tennis circuit. Played in every AO since 2003.

AdelaideGT

All Australian
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pretty dull 1st day, didnt get to any great heights today.

You were expecting Borg vs McEnroe on Day One?

A bunch of top players showed why they are top players. A bunch of seeds lost. A few (eg Sebastian Korda who is in what was Djokovic's section of the draw) showed themselves as dark horses to go far.

Plenty more to come methinks.

juice t

#TheExers
Aug 28, 2012
South Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NE Patriots, Manchester United
Kenin loses to Keys.

Kenin was defending her points from her win in 2020. So, massive fall in rankings coming up

Schmieds lost to the 'Penko

Shame about the Kokk but he should look back at his Aussie summer with pride. An ATP tournament win is better than a round 1 win in a grand slam.
Down to 91 on the live ranking now that she’s lost the points from 2020

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gordo2016

Premiership Player
Aug 13, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hewitt is one of the best commentators around. Groth not so much.
Yes Hewitt is ok as a commentator but the one sided barracking for Millman turned me off.
They gave Lopez got very little credit for fighting back. Groth talks like he was a multiple Grand Slam winner, has the answer to everything.

Satan

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 16, 2004
Location Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
As many as Stosur then. She started in 2002 but missed 2008 cos of Lyme Disease that knocked her sideways for the best part of a year.
lyme disease is terrible, know someone in a wheelchair , doctors kept diagnosing as cfs, not supposed to get in in Australia

AdelaideGT

All Australian
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tennis Australia is disgustingly incestuous, and unfortunately Groth is mates with the Hewitt clique so we'll be putting up with him as a commentator and TV "personality" for the next xxx decades because of it.

I think Groth is part of the Woodbridge clique and that's why he's on 9.

Most of these 9 commentaries the rest of the world doesn't see (well, hear) so they are more parochial than they would be if on a world feed (as some match commentaries including most live matches on 9now are).

I dislike Groth mostly from his entitled posts on social media during covid but his commentary also annoys me.

When he is retired from commentary he will probably put up his hand for a safe Liberal seat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad