Grand Slam Aus Open - Day 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Zverev looked rusty today but should improve with more matches - Can you imagine Rothenburg's meltdown on twitter if Zverev wins the AO.

Have a questions about the crowds ? They looked to be down even taking into account the 50% crowd cap - I've attended the first week on a few occasions where I focus on the outside courts and it's Jam packed with people - You need the overseas visitors back who add to the vibe of the event.
Day 1 had about 38% attendance compared to 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not happy that Kokkinakis got beaten in the first round, knew it would happen. He will be devasted.

Back to the drawing board. Hopefully he'll go overseas and play the hardcourts if he can get a few wildcards.

Young* John Millman needs to put his foot down now to stop Lopez from taking it to a fifth set.

* only young when compared to Lopez

Pretty dull 1st day, didnt get to any great heights today.

You were expecting Borg vs McEnroe on Day One?

A bunch of top players showed why they are top players. A bunch of seeds lost. A few (eg Sebastian Korda who is in what was Djokovic's section of the draw) showed themselves as dark horses to go far.

Plenty more to come methinks.

Kenin loses to Keys.

Kenin was defending her points from her win in 2020. So, massive fall in rankings coming up

Schmieds lost to the 'Penko

Shame about the Kokk but he should look back at his Aussie summer with pride. An ATP tournament win is better than a round 1 win in a grand slam.
Down to 91 on the live ranking now that she’s lost the points from 2020

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tennis Australia is disgustingly incestuous, and unfortunately Groth is mates with the Hewitt clique so we'll be putting up with him as a commentator and TV "personality" for the next xxx decades because of it.

I think Groth is part of the Woodbridge clique and that's why he's on 9.

Most of these 9 commentaries the rest of the world doesn't see (well, hear) so they are more parochial than they would be if on a world feed (as some match commentaries including most live matches on 9now are).

I dislike Groth mostly from his entitled posts on social media during covid but his commentary also annoys me.

When he is retired from commentary he will probably put up his hand for a safe Liberal seat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back