Grand Slam Aus Open - Day 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Zverev looked rusty today but should improve with more matches - Can you imagine Rothenburg's meltdown on twitter if Zverev wins the AO.

Have a questions about the crowds ? They looked to be down even taking into account the 50% crowd cap - I've attended the first week on a few occasions where I focus on the outside courts and it's Jam packed with people - You need the overseas visitors back who add to the vibe of the event.
Day 1 had about 38% attendance compared to 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You need the overseas visitors back who add to the vibe of the event.

They are usually only 10% of crowd numbers. Most of the 'vibe' comes from Greek-Australians (etc) not actual Greeks attending the event. It's probably more about less interstate visitors this year due to covid/border issues.

Many Melbourne people have suffered financially during two years of lockdowns. I'm sure lots of regular attendees in the past look at ticket prices, look at their bank balances and think 'let's just watch on TV this year'.

And the Novax situation probably left a bad taste in most people's mouths about the AO this year.

True. Musetti today will not be easy for him either.
I don't rate Musetti at all on hard and think de Minaur will beat him in easy straight. If he's in form it's a pretty good draw for him, at his best I'd have him a slight favourite against Ruud on hard but Sinner will be very tough.

I don't rate Musetti at all on hard and think de Minaur will beat him in easy straight. If he's in form it's a pretty good draw for him, at his best I'd have him a slight favourite against Ruud on hard but Sinner will be very tough.

Sinner you just never know. At this stage of his career you never now what Sinner turns up

History shows that players who back up after winning a tournament, often lose first round of the next tournament - The bigger picture with Kokkinakis. Is it better to have two weeks of good results in lead up tournaments, including winning a tournament or win a round or two in the Australian Open ? I would choose the former - The few today that criticised Kokk's performance have a limited understanding of tennis.
This is absolutely true but at the same time being able to back up tournament after tournament and match after match at a Grand Slam is what seperates the good from the great.

I think people overwhelmingly wanna see Thanasi succeed and are likely frustrated at this relatively minor setback.

Sinner you just never know. At this stage of his career you never now what Sinner turns up
Basing this mainly on what I saw at ATP cup. Most of the bad losses I've seen from him have been due to overplaying in the weeks before, not losses of form of confidence, so I think he should be right. I can see Murray challenging him in round 3 if he makes it through, but would expect Sinner to get it done.

Basing this mainly on what I saw at ATP cup. Most of the bad losses I've seen from him have been due to overplaying in the weeks before, not losses of form of confidence, so I think he should be right. I can see Murray challenging him in round 3 if he makes it through, but would expect Sinner to get it done.

Murray has the toughest R1 of them all. That’s one match I really want to watch.

This is absolutely true but at the same time being able to back up tournament after tournament and match after match at a Grand Slam is what seperates the good from the great.

I think people overwhelmingly wanna see Thanasi succeed and are likely frustrated at this relatively minor setback.
Having watched Thanasi play a lot in challengers last year, he's tracking pretty well imo. He'd missed so much tennis that at the start of his comeback he'd kind of forgotten how he used to win points and was just hoping to hit balls hard enough that his opponents would miss. Playing a few tournaments on European clay towards the end of the season seemed to help him a lot with point construction and confidence, although his backhand has regressed and still isn't where he'd probably like it. Start of this year is obviously another step up, but he's still world number ~100 for a reason and it will take time and more matches against better players to start feeling confident to compete on the tour week in, week out.

With his serve, forehand and movement I can see him making top 20 within the next 3 years and staying there, and if that happens he'll be able to pick and choose his tournaments more carefully and won't be entering random 250s a week before a major. At the moment he just needs all the matches, points, and prize money he can get.

Day 2 Thread

I am catching up on the days play

What???????. Of course, Yas couldn't be bothered to play one more game.

They are usually only 10% of crowd numbers. Most of the 'vibe' comes from Greek-Australians (etc) not actual Greeks attending the event. It's probably more about less interstate visitors this year due to covid/border issues.

Many Melbourne people have suffered financially during two years of lockdowns. I'm sure lots of regular attendees in the past look at ticket prices, look at their bank balances and think 'let's just watch on TV this year'.

And the Novax situation probably left a bad taste in most people's mouths about the AO this year.

I gave you the breakup of attendance figures in 2019 - You take away the overseas visitors and reduce the interstate travellers then you will struggle for numbers - I have been to the Aussie open many times - My speciality is the first week and outside courts - The ground pass for $49.00 is one of the best value deals in world sport.

Last edited:
Day 1 had about 38% attendance compared to 2020.

Considering everything, that's still not bad. Not good but not bad. Crowds have been okay...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back