AUS T20 squad v SL

Remove this Banner Ad

It hasn't been like that for years. Get with it.

The selectors have gotten better in picking a more relevant T20 side and rewarding Big Bash form but the fact we have't won a T20 world cup as yet proves we aren't getting it right and as a national don't play the format enough.

I figure the make-up will be determined by how selectors balance the 'need' to win versus the desire to give younger players exposure in internationals.

With another round of BBL matches still to be played, some possible selections include:

Finch (vc)
Dunk/Quiney
Lynn
Head
Bailey (c)
Henriquez/Stoinis/Turner
Neville/Paine/Whiteman
Faulkner
Cummings
Zampa
Tye
-
Abbott/Boland/Richardson
Beer/Green

Captaincy will be interesting. Stripping Finch of the captaincy last year was stupid then and really looks stupid now.

I believe you pick the best XI based on the format. Our test XI and T20 XI would look different but if it's the best XI in that format...

So? If a city is given an international cricket match involving Australia, they expect THE Australian team to play, I would have thought.
They are getting the Australian team to play. I'd go as far as suggesting the team that takes the field would produce far better results than a team full of guys like Warner and Smith. They'll be fresh off the Big Bash and in actual T20 form.

Will Lynn be fit? If not...

Aaron Finch
Ben Dunk (+)
Cameron White
Travis Head
George Bailey
Ashton Turner
James Faulkner
Pat Cummins
Adam Zampa
Andrew Tye
Mark Steketee
12th - Dan Christian

I'm not a fan of Abbott even with his wicket tally this season. Turner doesn't really warrant a spot based on his runs tally but I think he's worth a look, for his bowling just as much as his batting. A bit concerning that I couldn't really think of younger players to replace White, Bailey (though they both deserve the spots to be fair) and Christian with - although the Test squad being unavailable probably means this isn't a huge issue.

EDIT: Forgot Faulkner as pointed out! Slots in for Dan.

Last edited:
They are getting the Australian team to play. I'd go as far as suggesting the team that takes the field would produce far better results than a team full of guys like Warner and Smith. They'll be fresh off the Big Bash and in actual T20 form.

I disagree. Big bash form just hasn't transitioned to international level T20, lots of domestic guys have been in red hot form in the big bash have been tried and come up well short at international level. Then guys that aren't even that suited to T20 drop back from the Australian side and dominate the big bash like Khawaja last year and even Jackson Bird has been pretty handy over the last couple of seasons bowling test match length.

The Big Bash is good entertainment but the strength of the competition is not as good as the commentators like to make out.

Don't agree, but good point. However people bought tickets thinking they were getting Smith, Warner, Starc etc. not the "B Team".

Will Lynn be fit? If not...

Aaron Finch
Ben Dunk (+)
Cameron White
Travis Head
George Bailey
Ashton Turner
Dan Christian
Pat Cummins
Adam Zampa
Andrew Tye
Mark Steketee

I'm not a fan of Abbott even with his wicket tally this season. Turner doesn't really warrant a spot based on his runs tally but I think he's worth a look, for his bowling just as much as his batting. A bit concerning that I couldn't really think of younger players to replace White, Bailey (though they both deserve the spots to be fair) and Christian with - although the Test squad being unavailable probably means this isn't a huge issue.

Who are you eddiesmith? I think Faulkner might get a run ahead of Christian.

So? If a city is given an international cricket match involving Australia, they expect THE Australian team to play, I would have thought.
I agree that the scheduling is poor, but that problem isn't unique to Geelong.

The people who bought tickets to the Australia vs Sri Lanka at the MCG or AO will feel just as aggrieved when the Australian C squad gets sent.

Tbf looking at the teams people are posting, the batting is fairly strong. It's the bowling thats lacking international experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was our sides in the last two T20 matches played (vs Sri Lanka).

1. Maxwell
2. Warner
3. Khawaja
4. Head
5. Bailey / Wade
6. Henriques
7. Nevill
8. Faulkner
9. Starc
10. Zampa
11. Boland / Hastings

There's 4 omissions to accomodate the test tour (Maxwell, Warner, Khawaja, Starc). Henriques, Boland / Hastings (inj) makes 6 changes with Bailey and Nevill other possible outs. The ODI squad possibly gives some indication (Stoinis, Stanlake, Cummins / Finch, Bailey) and with Langer as coach I wouldn't be surprised to see Klinger in contention.

1. Klinger
2. Finch
3. Lynn
4. Head
5. Bailey
6. Stoinis
7. Paine / Nevill
8. Faulkner
9. Cummins
10. Zampa
11. Stanlake
Cant see Nevill playing.

Why not take genuine bat in a Dunk or Paine instead of a passenger.

Cant see Nevill playing.

Why not take genuine bat in a Dunk or Paine instead of a passenger.
I have Paine ahead of Nevill in my proposed XI with Nevill only a backup option if the selectors don't wish to make an extra change.

Nevill should never have played T20I and isn't anywhere near it mate.
As I said I have Paine ahead of him, our selectors however can at times lack sense and they've irrationally stuck with an incumbent previously, so I'm not prepared to rule anything out. Hence Nevill is listed in my proposed XI as a backup option to Paine.

The selectors have gotten better in picking a more relevant T20 side and rewarding Big Bash form but the fact we have't won a T20 world cup as yet proves we aren't getting it right and as a national don't play the format enough.

It is also possible that we're just not as good as the teams that have won world cups

It is also possible that we're just not as good as the teams that have won world cups

That is part of the reason, but also picking the best team to suit the format will increase our chances as well as Australia playing more T20's

The fact we have been a top test team since day one and won 5 world cups shows we have the talent.

Honestly couldn't care less who is in the team. Usually kinda look forward to the T20 here in Adelaide but not this year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back