AUS T20 squad v SL

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm fine with the selectors picking some older players in Klinger, Paine and obviously Finch. They effectively substitute for Smith, Warner and Wade in terms of leadership and experience. Picking only youth in this series would be enormously disrespectful to Sri Lanka I think. Pick the squad to win the series, not develop for the next world cup - it's Australia, not Australia A. When the next Australian T20I series come up that doesn't stupidly clash with an OS Test series they can pick and choose the odd kid to slot in and see how they go.

Does this run at the same time as Sheffield Shield? If it does I'd rather see Richardson play Shield than this crap.

I can only imagine that the selectors lost Dunks phone number. That's a real head scratcher for me.

Also, Stoinis obviously didn't have a great BBL, but I'm surprised the ODI in NZ didn't get him picked in this squad.

Happy with the squad. Pleased to see guys who are good in the format and had good BBL campaigns being picked. Is probably a bit light on for spin though with only Zampa plus Turner as an all rounder. I'd expect Sri Lanka to go in with at least a couple of spin options. Meanwhile we have Agar, Swepson, Lyon and O'Keefe all off to India.

For another nothing 3 match series I'd expect everyone to play at least once. I get picking Hogg/Hodge for squad experience in a tournament, but you don't pick an uncapped 36 year old for the sake of it. Klinger plays. Paine is a great selection. Would have him in any format over Wade.

Happy with the squad. Pleased to see guys who are good in the format and had good BBL campaigns being picked. Is probably a bit light on for spin though with only Zampa plus Turner as an all rounder. I'd expect Sri Lanka to go in with at least a couple of spin options. Meanwhile we have Agar, Swepson, Lyon and O'Keefe all off to India.

For another nothing 3 match series I'd expect everyone to play at least once. I get picking Hogg/Hodge for squad experience in a tournament, but you don't pick an uncapped 36 year old for the sake of it. Klinger plays. Paine is a great selection. Would have him in any format over Wade.
Not the biggest Wade fan but he's a state captain and Paine doesn't even have a state contract atm

The only bloke I think should have been picked was Laughlin. Tye lucky IMO as he has been down from his usual lofty standards

Also not sure what Cummins has done as a bowler to deserve selection. One of either him or Faulkner would have been enough IMO.

I'd personally prefer Cummins to be playing some red ball cricket.

Probable Side

Finch
Klinger
Lynn
Henriques
Head
Turner
Paine
Faulkner
Cummins
Zampa
Tye

though I'd prefer to be bowler heavy and take out turner for stanlake

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could (possibly) understand the selection of Klinger (36 years old) over Dunk (29 years old) if their ages were reversed, but given both Dunk's superior BBL batting, and his much younger age, it's a real head-scratcher.
Bizarre, media pressure has contributed to the decision.

He scored more runs at a better click than the others, has to be in the side.

Can only think they overlooked Dunk due to seeing him as a keeper, which I'd agree with. His keeping is terrible. As a batsman though he's still well within the frame if not good enough to get selected.

Would've thought that Abbott was a sure thing. Richardson the obvious one we'd take out but he's only going to play one game anyway IMO for experience.

Whiteman unlucky due to injury. He's the future. Tim Paine may do alright at the top of the order but can't see him playing there with Klinger and Finch in the team. No real other options without Whiteman available.

Good squad overall though considering what we had available to us...

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

And Andrew Tye is good against international batsman.

3 matches, 68 balls, 2/119
Economy of 10.50.

Flawed logic

I wouldn't have selected Tye.

But seriously the explanation is never a conspiracy theory about "media pressure" or "state bias" or "so and so's father is connected".

Most of the times they don't pick a bloke because they don't rate him and/or they rate the other guy more.

BBL form especially should be considered pretty irrelevant because the chasm between BBL and international cricket is massive as proven everytime we've selected guys into the international team based on BBL form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back