Roast Aussie Internet is a Joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure I understand what you are saying.
Our internet service has dropped to being one of the best to one of the worst.
For me it is not about streaming HD content but for things like video streaming for business, medical, schools, long range learning etc.
Worked for a company a couple of years ago in a meeting Melbourne to Sydney, continual buffering. Would have worked more efficient if we had all met in one city.
Well said Maggie, and welcome back! It's not about speeding up your pr0n streaming or seamlessly viewing Facebook videos. It's about being able to accurately view and assist medical operations from afar, or ensuring that the learning of tertiary, trade and school students is not hindered by an institution or network's inadequate internet allowance, that cartoon, advertising and game manufacturers can professionally display their products online, and that video conferencing approximates reality rather than providing stuttered or ghosted images of a high-powered meeting of business moguls or politicians.

Technically, commercially, communicatively, socially, lustfully or just for personal entertainment, the internet is taken for granted. It no longer has even novelty value at a lower third world level. I've seen beggars in filthy clothes chatting on their mobile phone.

The women who clean the rooms at this guest house in Phnom Penh spent much of today lounging on the couches on the penultimate 6th floor level with their ipads, checking their Facebooks and taking selfies of these satisfyingly self-indulgent moments of inactivity. Not that I in any way begrudge them shirking the challenge of an eternity of stair climbing and making up rooms, twirling towels into swans or orchid shapes or improving the shine on the tiled floor.

You don't even consider staying at any accommodation that doesn't have good wifi - booking.com's review section of each place gives you an accurate idea of its' wifi strength and reach (%positive). The best rooms are those next to a router. Every restaurant that you'd ever bother to eat at has wifi. Every single person on a train or bus is looking into their phone. It's ubiquitous and everywhere.

We had a good shot at getting it right for $50 billion and the Libs subsequently compromised the futuristic vision of equal and quick internet access as a right to be enjoyed by all. We lack politicians who combine commitment and foresight with the balls to back their judgement.

Not sure I understand what you are saying.
Our internet service has dropped to being one of the best to one of the worst.
For me it is not about streaming HD content but for things like video streaming for business, medical, schools, long range learning etc.
Worked for a company a couple of years ago in a meeting Melbourne to Sydney, continual buffering. Would have worked more efficient if we had all met in one city.

That is a budget problem not an internet infrastructure problem - someone might have been blaming "the internets" when really they just haven't bothered to fork out for a properly spec'd connection and SIPP setup. If I can get a dual HD with audio setup connecting seamlessly between Pakenham and NZ...yeah it's not the intertubes.

I'll have a point to point fibre connection up from a Brisbane suburb to Braeside tomorrow. It'll be cheaper than running separate phone systems at the two offices.

Well said Maggie, and welcome back! It's not about speeding up your pr0n streaming or seamlessly viewing Facebook videos. It's about being able to accurately view and assist medical operations from afar, or ensuring that the learning of tertiary, trade and school students is not hindered by an institution or network's inadequate internet allowance, that cartoon, advertising and game manufacturers can professionally display their products online, and that video conferencing approximates reality rather than providing stuttered or ghosted images of a high-powered meeting of business moguls or politicians.

Technically, commercially, communicatively, socially, lustfully or just for personal entertainment, the internet is taken for granted. It no longer has even novelty value at a lower third world level. I've seen beggars in filthy clothes chatting on their mobile phone.

The women who clean the rooms at this guest house in Phnom Penh spent much of today lounging on the couches on the penultimate 6th floor level with their ipads, checking their Facebooks and taking selfies of these satisfyingly self-indulgent moments of inactivity. Not that I in any way begrudge them shirking the challenge of an eternity of stair climbing and making up rooms, twirling towels into swans or orchid shapes or improving the shine on the tiled floor.

You don't even consider staying at any accommodation that doesn't have good wifi - booking.com's review section of each place gives you an accurate idea of its' wifi strength and reach (%positive). The best rooms are those next to a router. Every restaurant that you'd ever bother to eat at has wifi. Every single person on a train or bus is looking into their phone. It's ubiquitous and everywhere.

We had a good shot at getting it right for $50 billion and the Libs subsequently compromised the futuristic vision of equal and quick internet access as a right to be enjoyed by all. We lack politicians who combine commitment and foresight with the balls to back their judgement.

Do you know what it cost to roll out 4G to most of the major Cambodian population centres? $100M USD. $400M in total for basically 100% coverage. That's just a single company putting in their own network. Data and voice are also completely separate things. Voice in general uses SFA and is on different bands.

Funnily enough a lot of places including hotels (even expensive ones) in Japan are rubbish for internet connectivity for tourists. Which I was surprised by. AirBnB was more likely to provide places with good free internet.

The real problem with connectivity in Australia is the politics of providing aussie battlers in the middle of bum*nowhere with internet gets in the way of allowing profitable and actually fast internet being provided to the majority of the population. It's dumb as dog s**t. If it wasn't for political point scoring every point fibre makes landfall along the coast would already have all business and metro residential on fibre.

That is a budget problem not an internet infrastructure problem - someone might have been blaming "the internets" when really they just haven't bothered to fork out for a properly spec'd connection and SIPP setup. If I can get a dual HD with audio setup connecting seamlessly between Pakenham and NZ...yeah it's not the intertubes.

I'll have a point to point fibre connection up from a Brisbane suburb to Braeside tomorrow. It'll be cheaper than running separate phone systems at the two offices.

Do you know what it cost to roll out 4G to most of the major Cambodian population centres? $100M USD. $400M in total for basically 100% coverage. That's just a single company putting in their own network. Data and voice are also completely separate things. Voice in general uses SFA and is on different bands.

Funnily enough a lot of places including hotels (even expensive ones) in Japan are rubbish for internet connectivity for tourists. Which I was surprised by. AirBnB was more likely to provide places with good free internet.

The real problem with connectivity in Australia is the politics of providing aussie battlers in the middle of bum****nowhere with internet gets in the way of allowing profitable and actually fast internet being provided to the majority of the population. It's dumb as dog s**t. If it wasn't for political point scoring every point fibre makes landfall along the coast would already have all business and metro residential on fibre.
Not sure what you are saying.
The company I worked for is one of the 10 most known brands in the world. Not a money issue.

I think that Baltimore Jack post re of 2/4 lane freeway is a good example.

Not sure what you are saying.
The company I worked for is one of the 10 most known brands in the world. Not a money issue.

I think that Baltimore Jack post re of 2/4 lane freeway is a good example.
Then it's a competence issue unless you were in an underground bunker with no services coming in except for a tin can with a string.

Wrong about what?

I can only assume it was incorrectly configured and or attempted on an unsuitable connection, you can get away with 2/2 for point to point video conferencing pretty easily, fullHD no worries at 4/4.
They had the best IT department. Had to service all states and country areas in Australia, NZ, Fiji and other countries, when I said top 10 Company worldwide, you better believe it.
Absolutely nothing to do with equipment, set up or what ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back