Aussie Jones a Bomber?

Remove this Banner Ad

PressureCooker

All Australian
May 6, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I usually go by the old cliche "Don't belive everything you read in the papers", but found this particular article a little hard to ignore. I found this article in this weeks Berwick News.

Aussie a Magpie, not a Bomber
Narre Warren coach and former St Kilda defender Aussie Jones has been approached to play under Kevin Sheedy at Essendon next season.

The Magpies' coach was approached after playing in the Ted Whitten Legends charity match recently.

The interest was sparked by a light hearted query from Essendon runner John Barnes, who also played in the Whitten game.

"I was sitting and chatting with him and Stewy Loewe and he asked me if I would be interested. I said I was happy where I was, but he went and told Kevin Sheedy who rang me up a couple of days later to sound me out", Jones smiled in the rooms before the Magpies' weekend clash with Cranbourne.

Jones said he told Sheedy he had played his AFL football and was now enjoying coaching and being involved at local football level at Narre Warren.

Sheedy left it at that, but told Jones to 'never say never'.

Jones has made a big impact in the media circles off-field this year with his on air work as part of the ABC's Sunday radio commentary team.

Sheeds up to his old tricks again. Personally I couldn't see any value in recruiting Jones. Anyway thought you guys might be interested.

I'd be disgusted if we offered him a contract. Was a good player but his key asset (his pace) is diminished and he admitted that he has lost his desire to play at the highest level.

Respect to him for not chasing easy $$$.

I dont think theres any substance to this tale. Our days of recruiting late 20somethings would have to be a thing of the past right now, surely.

However, Sheedy likes em cheeky n arrogant...with Aker being bandied around for some Vic clubs...it wouldnt surprise me if he ended up at Windy Hill.

For what its worth, he's STILL in his prime...moreso than Campo, Allan or Murphy ever were aroun same stage in their careers

Important to remember how much Kevin Sheedy loves footy and those involved in footy.

I don't for a second believe Aussie Jones is the first, nor the last bloke Sheeds would have rang just to see how he's going.

We aren't in a position to offer him a contract. We still have to sign up McPhee, Lucas and a few others. Monfries, Slattery etc.

We have no idea who will be available to us in the PSD.

There is a massive difference between have a casual chat with a bloke about his footy and if he is interested in making a comeback in general and making a firm offer to play at Essendon.

PressureCooker said:
I usually go by the old cliche "Don't belive everything you read in the papers", but found this particular article a little hard to ignore. I found this article in this weeks Berwick News.

Aussie a Magpie, not a Bomber
Narre Warren coach and former St Kilda defender Aussie Jones has been approached to play under Kevin Sheedy at Essendon next season.

The Magpies' coach was approached after playing in the Ted Whitten Legends charity match recently.

The interest was sparked by a light hearted query from Essendon runner John Barnes, who also played in the Whitten game.

"I was sitting and chatting with him and Stewy Loewe and he asked me if I would be interested. I said I was happy where I was, but he went and told Kevin Sheedy who rang me up a couple of days later to sound me out", Jones smiled in the rooms before the Magpies' weekend clash with Cranbourne.

Jones said he told Sheedy he had played his AFL football and was now enjoying coaching and being involved at local football level at Narre Warren.

Sheedy left it at that, but told Jones to 'never say never'.

Jones has made a big impact in the media circles off-field this year with his on air work as part of the ABC's Sunday radio commentary team.

Sheeds up to his old tricks again. Personally I couldn't see any value in recruiting Jones. Anyway thought you guys might be interested.

I agree he might occansionally give us runs across half back but will lack the fitness to play out a match. He is definitly past his prime and shouldn't be offered a contact. We should concerntrate on the young blokes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back