Aussie Murali

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan-v-australia-2014/content/story/753457.html

"Australia have made a dramatic move in their attempts to improve their spin credentials in Asian conditions, hiring Muttiah Muralitharan as a coaching consultant for this year's Test series against Pakistan in the UAE. And while Muralitharan has no intention of turning Nathan Lyon into a master of the doosra, he is already helping Lyon add a carrom ball to his arsenal."

Just throwing this out there, good move or bad? I can only really see positives and should help Lyon develop further.

Great call. Anyone can chuck but Murali was smart enough to work batsmen out as well. Will help Lyon use his strengths i hope, or maybe just tell him to do what aussies never do in the sub continent- push it through

"Australia have made a dramatic move in their attempts to improve their spin credentials in Asian conditions, hiring Muttiah Muralitharan as a coaching consultant for this year's Test series against Pakistan in the UAE. And while Muralitharan has no intention of turning Nathan Lyon into a master of the doosra, he is already helping Lyon add a carrom ball to his arsenal."

Just "throwing" this out there, good move or bad? I can only really see positives and should help Lyon develop further.

Freudian slip?

Seems like a great bloke but I'm personally not happy what he was allowed to get away with and the record he was allowed to create as a result.

However, the playing field has now changed forever, so if he can help our lads play within the rules that now exist, then I see no reason we shouldn't use him.

Why not? chucking is now legal and it ain't changing anytime soon so why should we play with one hand behind our backs?

We don't run cricket now, the people that do have decided that these blokes are legal, it's arrogant and just plain stupid to play by rules nobody else has to play by.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why not? chucking is now legal and it ain't changing anytime soon so why should we play with one hand behind our backs?

We don't run cricket now, the people that do have decided that these blokes are legal, it's arrogant and just plain stupid to play by rules nobody else has to play by.

Yep. Got it in one. I don't respect his achievements due to how they shifted the goalposts to allow them.

But now the goalposts are where they are we have to learn how to play them. Paying Murali to bowl the doosra in the nets for days on end will be worth the money just on it's own. Anything else he can teach our bowlers about bowling in the sub-continent is just gravy.

People are taking the piss if they reckon Murali still wouldn't have been a great bowler without his Doosra and without the matches against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.
Sure he wouldn't have anywhere near 800 wickets but he would still be great and his experience and ability to read batsmen will still be great for Lyon and our other spinners.
And yes he can also help our batsmen a lot. I'd personally love for him to spend some time with Hughes

Just throwing this out there, good move or bad? I can only really see positives and should help Lyon develop further.

I think it's an excellent move. For all my suspicioons of his action, he is extremely competitive, got a good cricket brain and really loves his cricket. If Lyon can develop some variety that can only be a good thing.

Really though he's not gonna be teaching Lyon the doosra, so whether you want him to or not (I'd lean towards not) this is a great appointment.

This is a great move. Only positives here. We can't just continue to pretend that the rules are other than what they are - it results in batsmen who are clueless against opposition bowlers, and gives everyone a weakness to exploit when we tour. At the very least, we need to have our batsmen facing modern off-spinners in the Shield so that they learn how to handle them.

If we can look back on this appointment as being a major contributing factor to the Aussies retaining the Ashes (which starts virtually a year to the day from now), then surely it'll be well worth the effort to get him. I don't care who we've got on our side to help us knock off the Poms - just as long as Michael Clarke is holding that little urn aloft next year!!!

Not everything has to be about the bloody Ashes. We've got a tour to the subcontinent to play the Pakistani's later this year. Given that our frontline spinners were atrocious the last time we played a series in subcontinental conditions, I'd say that CA are looking to avoid a repeat of that performance.

Not everything has to be about the bloody Ashes. We've got a tour to the subcontinent to play the Pakistani's later this year. Given that our frontline spinners were atrocious the last time we played a series in subcontinental conditions, I'd say that CA are looking to avoid a repeat of that performance.
Hey: I'm not suggesting that other Test series aren't important. Far from it - I want the Aussies to win every Test they play in, and that series against Pakistan is damn important.

But I just love the Ashes: for me it's the pinnacle of the sport, and I can't wait to lock horns with the Poms again!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back