Out from the World Cup Squad go:
Cummins (rested)
Starc (rested)
Hazlewood (rested)
Marsh
Carey
Stoinis
Warner (retired)

clear indication cummins, starc and hazlewood want to play all 7 tests this summer.

also gives us an idea moving forward of what our next world cup side may look like and we will have ready made bowlers.
it may be a stretch for maxwell and smith to make it by then but they could feature in the champions trophy in 14 months time.

stoinis ODI over

why smith as captain and no Mitch Marsh ??

perfect opportunity to give the captaincy to head or Marsh

who knows they may land the role in the T20 format.

still no announcement on who is the permanent T20 captain since finch retired late 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has a central contract and a decent List A record. Been pretty average in the step up, though
Arguably been better than every other fast bowler not named Cummins, Starc or Hazlewood Australia has tried in the last 4 or so years in ODI cricket.

I would have picked Jake Fraser McGurk and given him a taste.

Ollie Davies probably needs another solid 12 months of domestic form to build on as well. I see him as a potential WC 2027 player in the middle order.

But JFM i reckon was perfect timing to give him a few ODIs and see what he can do.

I repeat yet again sorry,"Maxwell is the biggest waste of talent we have lost to Test Cricket because of every one wanting him to play white ball cricket only"
2018 when we lost smith & warner was the time to give Maxwell 12 months of red ball cricket and see what he can do when we had a depleted line up.

It really is strange he never got 1 test in Australia.

Why not rest Maxwell from the 1 dayers and let him play some shield cricket.

I get Maxwell is popular with the general public, which is well deserved because his a legend with fans when his out and about but he is 35 years old, Maxwell fans need to give up on the idea his going to get another crack in Tests. The schedule over the next 3 years pretty much puts a nail in it, we have 2 Tests against Sri Lanka and thats in 2025, no other subcontinent Test Matches. Extremely easy run for Australia Test matches so batsmen will fill there boots and bowlers will lower there averages, Maxwell has no shot of getting a crack.

That's not great news if true. His record is not exactly stellar.
These are the records of pace bowlers since the end of the 2019 World Cup:

Abbott 21 wkts @ 36.80, ER 5.66
Green 16 wkts @ 41.00, ER 5.72
Stoinis 15 wkts @ 40.86, ER 5.75
Marsh 12 wkts @ 37.08, ER 5.46
Ellis 10 wkts @ 38.20, ER 5.96
K. Richo 5 wkts @ 35.80, ER 6.35
J. Richo 3 wkts @ 53.66, ER 5.96
Hardie 2 wkts @ 31.00, ER 6.20
Henriques 1 wkt @ 41.00, ER 5.12
Neser 1 wkt @ 119.00, ER 5.95
W. Agar 0 wkts, ER 3.54
Benrendorff 0 wkts, ER 5.66
S. Johnson 0 wkts, ER 7.62
Meredith 0 wkts, ER 7.20

The below was halfway through the World Cup but is close enough:

Records of ODI pacers for Australia last 4 years:

Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood:
Avg: 28.80
Economy Rate: 5.19

All other pacers:
Avg: 42.76
Economy Rate: 5.65

It's borderline whether Cummins is the 3rd best quick but it's not like anyone else has stood up and done anything when given the chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back