Aussie Politics and the Medias Influence

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone noticing the Sky News adverts littered around Big Footy?

Surely Chief hasn’t sold out to politically biased media corporations???
They'd be automatic ads based on your browsing.

Hmmm....

They'd be automatic ads based on your browsing.

Hmmm....

My secret shame... 😥

In all seriousness though. Does Big Footy have any control in the content of these cookies? From a non right leaning football/Big Footy fan, it’s not a great look.

My secret shame...

In all seriousness though. Does Big Footy have any control in the content of these cookies? From a non right leaning football/Big Footy fan, it’s not a great look.
I would never have guessed you weren't right leaning

On Nokia 5.4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

That seems a trait of those who say they are the left:

Everything they don’t agree with must “not be a great look” or be bad.

Overall I see myself as conservative/right leaning. So does that mean my opinions and beliefs are “not a great look”?

There are certainly times to be progressive. The marriage debate (often termed gay marriage but imo it’s just marriage. Let consenting adults be). But I also believe the Labor left traditionally imposes too much on the people. And if parties further to the left like the greens gain influence that will be exacerbated by parties with no proven economic management ability suddenly spending spending spending for all these pet projects at the taxpayer’s expense. Labor set the table for this to happen.

The current Liberal government is shot. They will lose the election and imo it’s Morrison’s head. Let’s find a good leader and rebuild the party to its tenets. Not to pander to the evangelicals or the far right parties etc.

Labor will get in and good on them. But Albanese has had the easiest job in politics. All he’s had to do is take potshots against a government trying to wade through a global pandemic, while not be Scott Morrison.

I often sit with my fiancé, who is not Australian and not as familiar with Australian politics, at dinner watching the election coverage. She sees through “Albo” quite easily. Just another faceless man with no policy, only “I’m not the other guy”.

Goodnight all, see you at the dawn service

Labor will get in and good on them. But Albanese has had the easiest job in politics. All he’s had to do is take potshots against a government trying to wade through a global pandemic, while not be Scott Morrison.
Yes, I’m sure that’s all he has to do…

But I also believe the Labor left traditionally imposes too much on the people.

What are you talking about specifically here? In what way do Labor "impose" more on the people? Do they raise taxes or something? I honestly don't know - I didn't have much interest in politics when Labor were last in power. Keen to hear your examples if you'd be willing to elaborate.

She sees through “Albo” quite easily. Just another faceless man with no policy, only “I’m not the other guy”.

They have policies. These are ostensibly the main ones:

Strengthen Medicare by making it easier to see the doctor.

Create secure local jobs by investing in Fee-Free TAFE and more university places, and make your job more secure with better pay and conditions.

Make child care cheaper so that it’s easier for working families to get ahead.

Make more things here in Australia by working with business to invest in manufacturing and renewables to create more Australian jobs.

Opinions will vary on whether those are good policies or not.

I'm not sure how they plan to increase manufacturing and compete in a global market against countries with much cheaper labour. I'd probably investigate those plans a bit further before forming an opinion though.

Making child care cheaper sounds good in theory. The reason I like the idea of cheap childcare is that it provides more incentive for people to go to back to work. This is better for the economy and GDP. It's very inefficient to have working age people staying home to take care of one or two kids. Although I do have some questions about what effect more subsidies ultimately has on childcare fees. Do we just end up inflating the fees childcare centres will charge when the government offers to pay more? Those are better questions for an economist. I'll give Labor the benefit of the doubt that they have an economically viable plan for childcare.

Fee-free TAFE is probably a good idea, depending on which courses are made free. If the courses are preparing people for new jobs in areas of skill-shortage then it seems like a good thing. We want Australians to be incentivised to acquire in-demand skills.

The Medicare one is probably the most fundamental issue in which the two major parties will be opposed. The LNP will always want to cut back Medicare and give the market more influence on healthcare, the ALP will always want to expand/protect it. It's an issue that touches the core ideologies that differentiate the two parties: equality/support for the least fortunate vs free markets, efficiency and competition. I personally believe that Medicare and universal healthcare is a good thing. The simple reason is that the government does a better job at keeping healthcare reasonably priced than the market would. The mechanisms at play will make sense intuitively but are outside the scope of what I can be bothered typing right now.

ScragCity your question to me is answered by your summation of those policies.

Fee free tafe, making childcare cheaper, better wages etc, as well as giving off real “coca cola in the water taps” vibes, has to be at an impost to the taxpayer.

Sure, taxes are too high now and I believe the Morrison government is a failure on this front, with the party having strayed from its core values.

I’d vote independent in my electorate considering this, but there are no real great candidates either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ScragCity your question to me is answered by your summation of those policies.

Fee free tafe, making childcare cheaper, better wages etc, as well as giving off real “coca cola in the water taps” vibes, has to be at an impost to the taxpayer.

Sure, taxes are too high now and I believe the Morrison government is a failure on this front, with the party having strayed from its core values.

I’d vote independent in my electorate considering this, but there are no real great candidates either.

Better wages comes at the cost of the tax payer? Could you elaborate on that a bit more? I didn't mention anything about better wages but my understanding is that both the LNP and ALP would claim to want to increase wages.

Which taxes specifically do you think are too high? The income tax? Has that typically increased when Labor are in power? I know that the LNP are offering tax cuts for the higher income brackets.

When you say that "free TAFE" comes at the cost of the taxpayer, I think that's a bit of a myopic view. Let's say you offer a free TAFE course to someone who has lost their job and needs retraining. So you pay, say $5k towards their training. They get their certificate, then they go out and get a job, and they pay income taxes and support themselves. If you didn't offer that free training maybe they spend a year unemployed, receiving job seeker allowance and not paying taxes. Which scenario is more of a burden on the tax paying public? Investing in people is a good economic strategy if done well. Its not about welfare.

Last edited:

"Although there have been just two periods each of Labor and Coalition governments in the last 30 years, the Commonwealth tax take was on average higher under the Coalition during that time."

I think it's a bit of a myth that Labor are these "big spenders." Both major parties probably spend similar amounts, just on different things. For example, I think the LNP typically spends more on military. If Labor says they are going to build infrastructure or spend more on social services, that doesn't mean that they will need to increase taxes; they can just spend less on what the LNP were spending on.

Regardless of your political persuasion, it's a bit silly to think that Government spending is inherently bad. Government spending is necessary for a healthy economy.

Last edited:
I am happy to pay more tax if it means:
  • Hospitals are properly funded
  • More social housing is built for homeless people/people needing a hand up not a hand out
  • The transition to green energy to stop global warming
  • More of a focus on preserving our environment and reducing the threats of fire and floods and extinction of our unique wildlife.
  • Properly fund the ABC
  • Genuine creation of jobs, through funded industry training to give people a hand up not a hand out ($250 really)
I am not happy paying taxes for:
  • Million dollar hand outs to the mining sectors
  • Hand outs to the Murdoch media
  • Pork barrelling grants to Liberal seats
  • Locking up families off shore costing millions of dollars
  • Funding private schools more than public schools
I am still filthy with the Coalitions mis management of the coal boom from the early noughties, dolling out middle class welfare in rebates for private health insurance, and family payments for middle class families. Think what we could have done with that money to future proof Australia.

By the way, not a fan of Labor either, simply put the two party system does not work well.

"Although there have been just two periods each of Labor and Coalition governments in the last 30 years, the Commonwealth tax take was on average higher under the Coalition during that time."

I think it's a bit of a myth that Labor are these "big spenders." Both major parties probably spend similar amounts, just on different things. For example, I think the LNP typically spends more on military. If Labor says they are going to build infrastructure or spend more on social services, that doesn't mean that they will need to increase taxes; they can just spend less on what the LNP were spending on.

Regardless of your political persuasion, it's a bit silly to think that Government spending is inherently bad. Government spending is necessary for a healthy economy.
Labor got us through the GFC the only Western country that didn’t feel the impact. They won’t talk about that though because it was under Rudd.

What are the core values of the liberal party? Corruption? Deceit? Incompetence? I feel like they have achieved those standards.

I have reiterated a couple of times that I feel the current administration has failed to uphold the necessary standards.

And I certainly don’t disagree with anything ScragCity is saying.

The Liberal Party next time it is in government needs to do better.

My values line up with the below, and I acknowledge the bad things and how far the party has strayed:

In the inalienable rights and freedoms of all peoples; and we work towards a lean government that minimises interference in our daily lives; and maximises individual and private sector initiative

In government that nurtures and encourages its citizens through incentive, rather than putting limits on people through the punishing disincentives of burdensome taxes and the stifling structures of Labor's corporate state and bureaucratic red tape.

In those most basic freedoms of parliamentary democracy - the freedom of thought, worship, speech and association.

In a just and humane society in which the importance of the family and the role of law and justice is maintained.

In equal opportunity for all Australians; and the encouragement and facilitation of wealth so that all may enjoy the highest possible standards of living, health, education and social justice.

That, wherever possible, government should not compete with an efficient private sector; and that businesses and individuals - not government - are the true creators of wealth and employment.

In preserving Australia's natural beauty and the environment for future generations.

That our nation has a constructive role to play in maintaining world peace and democracy through alliance with other free nations.

In short, we simply believe in individual freedom and free enterprise; and if you share this belief, then ours is the Party for you.

I have reiterated a couple of times that I feel the current administration has failed to uphold the necessary standards.

And I certainly don’t disagree with anything ScragCity is saying.

The Liberal Party next time it is in government needs to do better.

My values line up with the below, and I acknowledge the bad things and how far the party has strayed:
All very well in theory, but take the line “when the Government stops competing with the efficient private sector“. Case in point the aged care sector. I work for a not for profit that has six aged care facilities, we have always has a Div 1 nurse on for every shift, we have a recreation program that we partially fund ourselves. We have our own kitchen that prepares the meals for our residents. We spend every bit of government funding and still supplement some of our expenses. There is no way you can make a profit from aged care unless you are doing a shoddy job, but for profit organisations are.

The other problem, is the government allows these sectors to self regulate, rather than keeping an eye on themselves, it’s just a joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back