Coaching Footy Aussie Rules from scratch - how to teach it?

Remove this Banner Ad

MoscowHawk

Team Captain
Jul 6, 2011
Warsaw, Poland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dear BFers.

I've recently started a footy competition in Moscow, Russia. We've got heaps of people turning up every week, where we have a bit of training and a short practice match.

Obviously none of these people have ever played footy before, and it's been a massive challenge to get them using even the most basic skills of the game.

We will send a team to the Euro Cup in October and I want the boys to be at least competitive. They are mainly from rugby backgrounds, so they can run, tackle and their attack on the ball is excellent.

We've been training for about 1.5 months and the problems we have are:

-They can't kick to save themselves
-They can't hit targets with handballs

No matter what I do, they just CAN NOT get these skills right.

Is there some universal technique which I can use, which will get these skills embedded in their brains, or do I just need to be patient?

Would appreciate any help.

If you want them to hit targets with handballs start with the players in pairs facing each other a metre apart. Get them to handball to each other and get them to take a step back every time they 'hit the target'. If they miss, get them to take a step closer and go from there. It works with little kids so you should be able to get them up to speed given time.

Kicking is much the same, keep it as easy as possible until they develop better skills.

Thanks all for the advice so far.

Seems so simple when you think about it. Handballing especially. But it's so excrutiatingly difficult.

Had some success with them yesterday, playing keepings off using handpassing. 3 in the middle, 8 in the circle. Got them talking a lot, backing each other up, and some accurate handpassing.

I think the main problem is that they're all 25+ years old and have never seen a match in their lives. Therefore have nothing to compare it to, never grew up with it.

It's taken 2 months for them to stop throwing the f****n ball :D Yesterday we had a practice match, and there was only one throw!

I think I'll burn a few games onto disc and give them out at the next training. 2008 GF for starters. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back