Aussies Aussie Watch - PyeongChang 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

We've announced a team of 50 heading to the Winter Olympics starting in 10 days.

Here's the full list, and we'll use this thread to track their progress through the Games.

Alpine Skiing
Greta Small - super-G, super combined, downhill, giant slalom, slalom
Dominic Demschar - giant slalom, slalom
Harry Laidlaw

Bobsleigh
Lachlan James Reidy - 4 man
Hayden Thomas Smith - 4 man
David Mari - 2 man, 4 man
Lucas Mata - 2 man, 4 man

Cross Country Skiing

Barbara Jezersek - 15km Skiathlon, 10km Freestyle, Team Sprint, 30km Classic
Callum Watson - 15km Skiathlon, Classic Sprint, 10km Freestyle, Team Sprint, 30km Classic
Phillip Bellingham - Classic Sprint, 15km Freestyle, Team Sprint, 30km Classic
Jessica Yeaton - 30km Skiathlon, Classic Sprint, 15km Freestyle, Team Sprint
Aimee Watson
Casey Wright

Figure Skating
Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya - Pair
Harley Windsor - Pair
Kailani Craine - Womens
Brendan James Kerry - Mens

Freestyle Skiing
Laura Peel - Aerials Skiing
Danielle Scott - Aerials Skiing
Samantha Wells - Aerials Skiing
Lydia Lassila - Aerials Skiing
David Morris - Aerials Skiing
Matt Graham - Mogul Skiing
Madii Himbury - Mogul Skiing
Jakara Anthony - Mogul Skiing
Britt Cox - Mogul Skiing
Claudia Gueli - Mogul Skiing
Brodie Summers - Mogul Skiing
James Matheson - Mogul Skiing
Sami Kennedy-Sim - Ski Cross
Anton Grimus - Ski Cross
Russell Henshaw* - Slopestyle

Luge

Alexande Ferlazzo - Luge

Short Track Skating
Deanna Lockett - 1000m, 1500m
Andy Jung - 500m, 1500m

Skeleton
John Farrow - Mens
Jaclyn Narracott - Womens

Snowboard

Emily Arthur - Halfpipe
Holly Crawford - Halfpipe
Nate Johnstone - Halfpipe
Scott James - Halfpipe
Kent Callister - Halfpipe
Jessica Rich* - Slopestyle/BigAir
Tess Coady - Slopestyle/BigAir
Jarryd Hughes - Snowboard Cross
Adam Lambert - Snowboard Cross
Alex Pullin - Snowboard Cross
Cameron Bolton - Snowboard Cross
Belle Brockhoff* - Snowboard Cross

Speed Skating
Daniel Greig - 500m, 1000m

Those with an asterisk next to their name are in doubt due to fitness.

What is "skiathlon"? Is that the cross-country skiing with target shooting event, or is that Nordic?

EDIT: In answer to my own question, the skiing biathlon is the cross country skiing and target shooting event.

Nordic combined is the ski jumping (the one where distance is the major defining characteristic) and cross country skiing

Last edited:
My interest is on the skating... don't know why but it is the romantic part of the games.. well there is the dancing.. don't know what they really call it, as well
as the speed skating.. very cool, and then obviously the Canadians is my pick for the ice hockey...

but then I have a fair bit of interest in the aerials i.e. Lydia Lasilla or well I have probably got her name wrong.. but yo know who I mean..

damn there are so many people to cheer on.. go Aussies..

Quite likely.

Aussie sport in decline. Not necessarily in terms of developing atheletes with the ability to win. More so being able to get the job done when it counts. Whats changed? It was pretty clear at the last summer olympics when we went in with a record number of medal contenders (according to various US publications) and left with very few. Has the mentality of our athletes changed? Is it just luck?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll post this article in here since Magnussen is talking about Aust Olympians (winter v summer)

The (summer) Olympics is a super professional, super intense environment. None of that is allowed. You’re not expected to show personality or have fun. You’re there for one reason — and that is to win gold.

“They (winter athletes) take a different mental approach and as a result we the public and media judge them less harshly as we would a summer Olympian.

“If Scotty James was a swimmer going into that event as the world champion and expected to win, and he got bronze, how would we be reacting to that?”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/o...d/news-story/8adb7a324ccb149b2a3f02736ffcc611

Last edited:
He kinda has a point - and I think it more comes down to sports like swimming being a lot more present in the national psyche because pretty much everyone swims or knows how to swim, and Australia sees itself as a summer country.

Britt Cox didn't perform up to the standards expected of her and I don't think she's copped too much criticism over that. Scotty James at least performed well - he was just beaten on the day by better performances.

That said, it does come across as sour grapes by Magnussen because he didn't performed to his abilities in the Olympics either, and it later became apparent that it might have been because he wasn't as professional as he claims to be.

Also did lol at the assertion that the Winter Olympics aren't "super professional, super intense". A fair proportion of the athletes at the Winter Olympics are risking serious injury each time they go out onto the snow/ice. What do most of the Summer athletes risk? A strained hamstring or a sore shoulder? I'm pretty sure that risk brings a fair bit of intensity...

Summer olympians aren’t risking life and limb to the extent a lot of the winter olympians do. Plus Magnussen is the reason a lot of Australians, consider a lot of Australian athletes chokers who can’t perform when it counts.

Magnussen makes some valid points but as mentioned by drd and joel, the Winter Olympians are risking their lives and serious injuries. It's an intense and dangerous sport.

Though I think we are critical of our Australian Swimmers because of the funding, facilities and support they receive from the nation compared to the winter athletes.

I did laugh at the 'oh they have sponsors on their boards' comment, do the swimsuits not have sponsors?

it's part of the sport, the board makers aren't going to make unbranded boards for them.

I did laugh at the 'oh they have sponsors on their boards' comment, do the swimsuits not have sponsors?

it's part of the sport, the board makers aren't going to make unbranded boards for them.

Lame comment lol Most (or all) athletes have their sponsor's logo on their clothing or equipment, it's part of the deal - promote the brand.

Lame comment lol Most (or all) athletes have their sponsor's logo on their clothing or equipment, it's part of the deal - promote the brand.

Exactly they are giving them money and equipment for free for no reason

He kinda has a point - and I think it more comes down to sports like swimming being a lot more present in the national psyche because pretty much everyone swims or knows how to swim, and Australia sees itself as a summer country.

Britt Cox didn't perform up to the standards expected of her and I don't think she's copped too much criticism over that. Scotty James at least performed well - he was just beaten on the day by better performances.

That said, it does come across as sour grapes by Magnussen because he didn't performed to his abilities in the Olympics either, and it later became apparent that it might have been because he wasn't as professional as he claims to be.

Also did lol at the assertion that the Winter Olympics aren't "super professional, super intense". A fair proportion of the athletes at the Winter Olympics are risking serious injury each time they go out onto the snow/ice. What do most of the Summer athletes risk? A strained hamstring or a sore shoulder? I'm pretty sure that risk brings a fair bit of intensity...
If he thinks the winter athletes aren't professional he's got no idea what he's talking about.
Maybe because a lot of them are happy and friendly towards their opposition he thinks they're not taking it seriously.
He is wrong.
We celebrate these medals because they are won against huge odds by athletes who usually fund themselves to compete overseas for the most part.
Magnussen bragged and boasted about himself, talked himself up, all the whole abusing pills and bullying teammates.
Then he delivered sweet fa despite significant funding.
again, if he can't see why there is expectation for him and our swimmers in general do do well, he is an idiot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back