Aussies Aussie watch - Towards Rio

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karma. Blokes a flog, now he can keep his designer stubble without having to worry about swim times.
A flog? He comes across to me as Jamie Whincup's more out going brother.

But yeah, you've go to make the most if your opportunities. I was willing him on in the final at London. But when I saw that he was second, I just wondered if he'd blown his moment? He might be good enough to win in Rio, but you can't guarantee it. Because I also thought if Alain Bernard. As in, he was one of the two big dogs in Beijing and eventual champion, who became just a role player for France in London.

A flog? He comes across to me as Jamie Whincup's more out going brother.

But yeah, you've go to make the most if your opportunities. I was willing him on in the final at London. But when I saw that he was second, I just wondered if he'd blown his moment? He might be good enough to win in Rio, but you can't guarantee it. Because I also thought if Alain Bernard. As in, he was one of the two big dogs in Beijing and eventual champion, who became just a role player for France in London.
He will be 29 in Rio and that's very old for a swimmer.

In 1956 there were 7 freestyle swimming events in a total of 13 gold medal events. Australia won 8 gold medals of the 13. The freestyle events were
Mens 100m, 400m, 1,500m and 4 x 200m relay, Women's 100m, 400m and 4 x 100m relay. Australia won all 7.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimming_at_the_1956_Summer_Olympics

In Rio like the last few Olympics, since 1996, there are 32 events and there are 5 individual + 2 relay freestyle event for both men's and women's = 14 events. Given the times cranked out in the swimming trials, and yes the rest of the world especially , European nations, USA and China havent had their trials yet, I am confident an Australian will pick up a medal in probably 12 and maybe even each of those 14 events.

When you add the 2 medley relays and 2 individual medley events for both men's and women's, which have freestyle leg in them, I reckon there is a decent chance of another 5 or 6 medals.

Golds will depend on how tough our athletes have become compared to London and the new structures put in place by Swimming Australia President John Bertrand and the rest of his executive team. He's been talking to the SAS, F1 team Mclaren and the Hawks and co about getting that winning edge.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n/news-story/09b8c8c6236085fc7a6e6bd8f0d2c022
SWIMMING Australia has turned to three-time reigning AFL premier Hawthorn, Formula One team McLaren and the SAS for help in rebuilding its entire organisation ahead of the Rio Olympics. SA president John Bertrand believes its culture - which was dubbed “toxic” by a damning review into a disastrous 2012 London Games - has been revolutionised and he’s seen evidence on the pool deck at this week’s national championships.

Its high performance team including Mr Bertrand, head coach Jacco Verhaeren and team leader Wayne Lomas met with Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson and his leadership team in the Hawks’ ‘war room’ just weeks after they clinched their third straight AFL flag last year. Mr Bertrand has also had extensive discussions with Sydney premiership coach Paul Roos, who is now at Melbourne, and Geelong chairman Colin Carter who ran a two-day think-tank for the SA board.

The team also spent two days with McLaren during last month’s Formula One Grand Prix in Melbourne and the head of the SAS is on Mr Bertrand’s advisory board helping plan logistics for the Rio Games which are less than four months away. “Every decision we make we ask ourselves, is this world’s best practice?” said Mr Bertrand, who famously skippered Australia II to America’s Cup glory in 1983.“We’re benchmarking against the world of Formula One racing, in military operations and Australian rules football, particularly Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney and driven by their leadership teams. “We looked at professional sports globally, NFL football in the US and soccer throughout Europe, and we think that Australian rules football is a leader in leadership team concept.......
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n/news-story/09b8c8c6236085fc7a6e6bd8f0d2c022

In 1956 there were 7 freestyle swimming events in a total of 13 gold medal events. Australia won 8 gold medals of the 13. The freestyle events were
Mens 100m, 400m, 1,500m and 4 x 200m relay, Women's 100m, 400m and 4 x 100m relay. Australia won all 7.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimming_at_the_1956_Summer_Olympics

In Rio like the last few Olympics, since 1996, there are 32 events and there are 5 individual + 2 relay freestyle event for both men's and women's = 14 events. Given the times cranked out in the swimming trials, and yes the rest of the world especially , European nations, USA and China havent had their trials yet, I am confident an Australian will pick up a medal in probably 12 and maybe even each of those 14 events.

When you add the 2 medley relays and 2 individual medley events for both men's and women's, which have freestyle leg in them, I reckon there is a decent chance of another 5 or 6 medals.

Golds will depend on how tough our athletes have become compared to London and the new structures put in place by Swimming Australia President John Bertrand and the rest of his executive team. He's been talking to the SAS, F1 team Mclaren and the Hawks and co about getting that winning edge.

SWIMMING Australia has turned to three-time reigning AFL premier Hawthorn, Formula One team McLaren and the SAS for help in rebuilding its entire organisation ahead of the Rio Olympics. SA president John Bertrand believes its culture - which was dubbed “toxic” by a damning review into a disastrous 2012 London Games - has been revolutionised and he’s seen evidence on the pool deck at this week’s national championships.

Its high performance team including Mr Bertrand, head coach Jacco Verhaeren and team leader Wayne Lomas met with Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson and his leadership team in the Hawks’ ‘war room’ just weeks after they clinched their third straight AFL flag last year. Mr Bertrand has also had extensive discussions with Sydney premiership coach Paul Roos, who is now at Melbourne, and Geelong chairman Colin Carter who ran a two-day think-tank for the SA board.

The team also spent two days with McLaren during last month’s Formula One Grand Prix in Melbourne and the head of the SAS is on Mr Bertrand’s advisory board helping plan logistics for the Rio Games which are less than four months away. “Every decision we make we ask ourselves, is this world’s best practice?” said Mr Bertrand, who famously skippered Australia II to America’s Cup glory in 1983.“We’re benchmarking against the world of Formula One racing, in military operations and Australian rules football, particularly Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney and driven by their leadership teams. “We looked at professional sports globally, NFL football in the US and soccer throughout Europe, and we think that Australian rules football is a leader in leadership team concept.......
Their turns off the wall for the most part were very ordinary compared to the Americans in London, hopefully that has improved.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/a6f76629dbf7197ca448da028b56a487

Adam Scott (golf) has confirmed his unavailability for the Olympics although when you get narky pieces like this one below, it's any wonder why he would bother in the first place.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-/news-story/b4d0574726ed6ea0e851ca361a198a4b

Renowned dickhead Dawn Fraser is bagging him. Olympics are an afterthought in golf, can't fault anyone choosing to not do it.

I'm almost leaning towards 'Being bagged by Our Dawn' is a recommendation that you are a good bloke with some common sense.

The comments under that article are interesting - almost universally approving of Scott and negative towards golf in the Olympics.

I'm almost leaning towards 'Being bagged by Our Dawn' is a recommendation that you are a good bloke with some common sense.

Like some Badge of Honour? Hmmm it never 'dawned' on me :p Good thinking there :thumbsu:

The comments under that article are interesting - almost universally approving of Scott and negative towards golf in the Olympics.

Probably written by good blokes (and sheilas) with some common sense ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's yet to qualify. He missed the 45.4s qualifier by 0.1s at the Olympic trials a month ago.

Solomon and Ben Offereins should both run the time in the coming weeks/couple of months.

Big result from Sam McEntee over the weekend, dropped another 10+ seconds on his 5000m PB to run 13.20 and gain a spot on the plane. Still a fairly raw talent over 5000m, and could well shave another decent chunk off yet before Rio rolls around.

Gregson looks to be in very good shape in the Mens 1500m, unfortunately fell at the start of the Doha GP and even though a restart gun was signalled, nobody stopped - piss poor officiating.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-...chael-diamonds-olympic-shooting-dream/7436220

Shooting veteran Michael Diamond says he thinks he will be "OK" despite a firearms charge putting his Olympic selection in doubt.

The 44-year-old dual Olympic gold medallist was arrested following an alleged domestic incident with his brother at Nelson Bay, near Newcastle on Saturday night. Diamond refused to undergo a roadside breath test when he was stopped at Shoal Bay. Police also searched his car where they allegedly found a shotgun and 150 rounds of ammunition. Police said Diamond recorded a reading of 0.159 when he later underwent a breath analysis at Raymond Terrace Police Station. He has been charged with high range drink-driving, not keeping a firearm safe and using a firearm while under the influence of alcohol.

Speaking with the ABC this morning, Diamond referred all questions to Shooting Australia. He said he was not in a position to make comment on the charges but did say he would be "OK". Diamond was bailed to appear in court next month, while his brother has also taken out a provisional apprehended violence order against him.

Interesting that both Rory McIlroy (NI) and Danny Willet (GB) have said they may not play golf at the Olympics 'because of Zika virus'.

No other athlete has said they may pull out because of this. It's the Olympics!!! Well, except golfers, because 'it's the olympics.....'.

Pearson hasn't been able to get properly fit since the Olympics in 2012. Her silver medal in the 2013 Worlds was a bit of a miracle. (I know she won the CG next year, but that was a fairly low-class competition).

Hurdles is about minimising your time in the air. Pearson is a technically excellent hurdler, but her technique over the sticks is actually quite slow (she's reasonably quick between the hurdles). In practice she loses a bit of time over the hurdles, but is able to accelerate faster between them, because her technique means she lands in near-perfect balance. (I'm talking relative to the absolute best in the world - obviously she's a way faster hurdler than 99.99999% of other girls).

These differences are minute, and only obvious with super-slo-mo and timing down to 1/1,000s of a second - but it's there.

Her style of racing puts a premium on acceleration. She doesn't 'carry' the same speed over the hurdles the other girls do. Hamstrings, groins, flexibility all have to be at 100%. She hasn't been 100% for 4 years. (In her fall a year ago, she actually did a calf muscle one or two hurdles before, and was actually trying to crash and bail out of the race - she got the landing wrong),

She's getting old. It's going to be tough.

Interesting that both Rory McIlroy (NI) and Danny Willet (GB) have said they may not play golf at the Olympics 'because of Zika virus'.

No other athlete has said they may pull out because of this. It's the Olympics!!! Well, except golfers, because 'it's the olympics.....'.
yep. only one women golfer has pulled out at this stage. Zika is more of a threat for pregnant females than anyone else.

all about the schedule and the majors. the golfer admin and players have both stuffed this opportunity up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back