ATP/WTA Aussie Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats to Storm - she should have a few more years on the doubles circuit to earn some coin.

Hopefully she can also help AUS in the Fed Cup finals starting soon.

Wonder who she'll play with next year - would she and Ellen Perez team up again to aim at Olympic success?

Not sure where to put this but John Millman has announced that he will retire after this year's Australian tournaments. Not surprising and I know he's not highly regarded on here but I will miss him. Always admired his dogged determination and his pleasant and professional demeanor. For someone with limited abilities I think he carved out quite a decent career for himself.

Hope he is not lost to Australian tennis, he is pretty good in the commentary box and he's also a smart guy who could be useful in some kind of executive role at TA in my opinion.

Anyway, it's his life, whatever he does, I wish him all the best.

Last edited:

He's my age so this one does hit a bit. But this was very expected given his 2023 year.

Very early on when he all those injury issues, I remember him saying he will go study if he couldn't get to the top 100 soon. He worked incredibly hard and managed to make a good career for himself. Had shoulder issues that meant he changed his service action, he found a way to make it work. What an absolute fighter he was.

Obviously he will be remembered for that hot sweaty night against Federer in New York. I remember thinking as he walked on Ashe, what a great moment for him to enjoy, this is why he's toiled so hard and comeback from all these injuries. I'll never forget those next few hours.

Having heard some of his commentary, please for the love of god do some commentary please. Todd, Jelena & John for next year's overseas slam coverage please.

He could also a very good coach, I wonder if he'll want to travel though.

He made the most of his talents though injuries probably denied him a little more success. Hope he enjoys his final Aussie season.

he will retire

And another Aussie 'retires' with Alicia Molik stepping down as Fed Cup (I still can't call it BJK Cup) after 10 years as captain. AUS seemingly out this year despite Storm Hunter winning her singles and (with Ellen Perez) doubles matches in our tie against Kazakhstan.

I think Alicia might have done better going with Dasha rather than KIm BIrrell in first singles but - oh well..

I think Alicia might have done better going with Dasha rather than KIm BIrrell in first singles but - oh well..

I don't know, it's much of a muchness, thought Dasha was awful the other night as well, I'm not sure it would of made any difference.

Probably would of been a drubbing either way is my point.

Anyways, it is an interesting question regarding the captaincy. I suppose Casey D might be an option too, it is going to come down who wants to spend that time away from home. Pratty might be the option.

Well, anything could HAVE been better than a drubbing.

I wonder who might take over from Alicia. NIcole Pratt? (probably best qualified), Sam Stosur? (can she be bothered?) Dokic even?

Hasn't Stosur got young kids? Not sure it would suit her at this time of her life. Dokic would be good IMO. Agree Pratt is probably the most likely option.

It's a bit of a no win job. Not a single player in the top 100 on the women's side. On the men's side you have a few grafters that have gotten the most out of their ability to get to around 50. Realistically we haven't produced a legitimate top 20 prospect on either side since the Demon and he is 24 now and lacks the weapons to challenge at the pointy end. Tennis Australia do well to keep the media / former players inside the tent and avoid any criticism for the lack of development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a bit of a no win job. Not a single player in the top 100 on the women's side. On the men's side you have a few grafters that have gotten the most out of their ability to get to around 50. Realistically we haven't produced a legitimate top 20 prospect on either side since the Demon and he is 24 now and lacks the weapons to challenge at the pointy end. Tennis Australia do well to keep the media / former players inside the tent and avoid any criticism for the lack of development.

You forgot Ash Barty.

Congrats to Storm - she should have a few more years on the doubles circuit to earn some coin.

Hopefully she can also help AUS in the Fed Cup finals starting soon.

Wonder who she'll play with next year - would she and Ellen Perez team up again to aim at Olympic success?
She will be playing with Siniakova next year. Top 10 doubles players get to choose their teammate in the Olympics so she could play with Perez or they could potentially both choose different partners.

She will be playing with Siniakova next year. Top 10 doubles players get to choose their teammate in the Olympics so she could play with Perez or they could potentially both choose different partners.
Really interesting that Siniakova and Krejcikova went there separate ways during a Olympics year.

Hasn't Stosur got young kids? Not sure it would suit her at this time of her life. Dokic would be good IMO. Agree Pratt is probably the most likely option.
She and her partner have one kid. Think both her and Pratt would be good but can see them going with Barty if she actually wants to do it, will have the execs frothing. Don’t think Dokic would be in the race

Remove this Banner Ad

Back