ATP/WTA Aussie Watch

danstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
which aussie do you think will have a standout year and climb the rankings like Barty did in 2017. Will it be De-Minaur whos ranked 209 at the moment or someone else

ozgamer

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
which aussie do you think will have a standout year and climb the rankings like Barty did in 2017. Will it be De-Minaur whos ranked 209 at the moment or someone else

I would say BTomic if he pulled his finger out (unlikely for now) or Kokkinakis IF he was able to play at least 70% of the season otherwise no-one really.

De Minotaur will probably get to ~130 at best. He's not in the same league as Barty and he will slow-burn his way to about top 50 eventually.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I went to the Playford Challenger today here in the Northern suburbs of Adelaide. Final round qualifying today.

Matosevic, Banes and Kubler were the Australians to win through to the main draw.

Marinko was all over the place as usual but O'Connell fell apart in the second set. Banes lacks the big game but had a good win over Korda (son if Petr).

Purcell and Saville won the doubles. Saville carried Purcell a bit I thought.

Kubler really impresses me, he can be top 100 if his knee holds up. I'd give him a main draw wildcard at the Australian Open if it was up to me.

Last edited:

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

As per my previous post Kubler is my tip if his knee holds up. Bolt is the other one. Both have really big games and development wise look like they are in the window.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
I went to the Playford Challenger today here in the Northern suburbs of Adelaide. Final round qualifying today.

Matosevic, Banes and Kubler were the Australians to win through to the main draw.

Marinko was all over the place as usual but O'Connell fell apart in the second set. Banes lacks the big game but had a good win over Korda (son if Petr).

Purcell and Saville won the doubles. Saville carried Purcell a bit I thought.

Kubler really impresses me, he can be top 100 if his knee holds up. I'd give him a main draw wildcard at the Australiam Open if it was up to me.

O'Connell had a win at the AO last year didn't he? Hopefully he can find some form soon.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Harris and Saville are the direct entries in Canberra. Propoggia, Van Peperzeel, Mitchell and U18 champion Crnokrak are the wildcard entries. We should get a few more in via qualifying.

It is a funny field Canberra. The top 8 seeds are in the top 100 but the last direct entry is over 500. It is caused by a ruling you can't play a tournament this week and Australian Open qualifying which bassically means if you are ranking 105 and over up to about 250 you don't enter.

ozgamer

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Memo to the Press:

See? There is all of this great Aussie stuff going on. Start talking about it and leave Bernie and his guts alone.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Just got back four days at the AO.

I wish we could have some interviews with Australians without them talking about Davis Cup. I think Hewitt is over doing it and it is a distraction for a few of the guys.

Thompson is going to have to spend a fair amount of time on the Challenger circut this year.

Kokkinakis worries me still, not sure he wants it that badly. I think he likes playing exhibitions and spending time on jet ski's as opposed to grinding it out on court.

Kubler played well as we expected. I hope he has a big year. Both he and Bolt have the game to make the top 100 if they have some luck.

Ebden is back to playing some of his best tennis. He won't make the top 50 but can hopefully stay in the top 100.

treeman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Just got back four days at the AO.

I wish we could have some interviews with Australians without them talking about Davis Cup. I think Hewitt is over doing it and it is a distraction for a few of the guys.

Thompson is going to have to spend a fair amount of time on the Challenger circut this year.

Kokkinakis worries me still, not sure he wants it that badly. I think he likes playing exhibitions and spending time on jet ski's as opposed to grinding it out on court.

Kubler played well as we expected. I hope he has a big year. Both he and Bolt have the game to make the top 100 if they have some luck.

Ebden is back to playing some of his best tennis. He won't make the top 50 but can hopefully stay in the top 100.
That's interesting you mention that about Kokkinakis, I remember when he first came onto the scene with Kyrgios the media was saying Kokkinakis has it in terms of desperation whereas Kyrgios won't have that desire despite looking better.
Kokkinakis has been hit with a lot of injuries though, do you think it will just take another year before he can hit some real form?

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Back