ATP/WTA Aussie Watch

I_am_Vengeance

Debutant
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Jesus Christ Nick, I love watching this kid play when he's on, but he makes it so ******* hard to like him. I guess we'll see how he performs in the next one, is there anything else prior to the US open?

The Grover

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Jesus Christ Nick, I love watching this kid play when he's on, but he makes it so ******* hard to like him. I guess we'll see how he performs in the next one, is there anything else prior to the US open?
Anyone who watched was he switched on giving full effort and lost to a good player.

Or he shouldn’t have bothered playing this tournament

The Grover

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Right on cue, straight set loss.
Barty has also lost.

Looks like it's up to the Milkman and Kyrgios to represent us. I had high hopes for Nick after his win, but knowing him and the fact he has already had a bit of a meltdown in this match, I have no idea what Nick is going to show up.
TBH it was a waste of time playing Montreal for Nick. He has never been able to backup straight away and keep the form up in his entire career so far. Should have either played Montreal only or forfeited his spot in the draw citing illness take a week off than prepare mentally for Cincinnati.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
You said this in the other thread and I'll post my response here as well:

expand...
Funny? Just immature really. The video posted on this page above shows all the good things he does. Just ignores all his s**t behaviour. The abuse and Swearing at the spectators, officials, his own players box. The throwing of rackets, the temper tantrums, the giving up of points and games.

There is much to like, but there's also a lot to dislike abojt kyrgios.

Many predicted this kind of result here. He seems unable to back up results week after week. That should be a target of his.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
I'll give Nick a pass for todays loss only 48 hours after winning the Washington Title. Hopefully he plays Cincy after he rests up for the rest of this week.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes, from memory don’t think he backs up well after winning a title.

Not many players do.

For standard tournaments you are playing at least QF-SF-F on the Friday, Saturday, Sunday, perhaps even 5 matches in 5 days depending on your seeding and the tournament schedule, then if you are playing the next week you need to travel from the current tournament to the new tournament and be ready to play R1 on the Tuesday.

The big players generally don't schedule like that and everyone else is happy with the title plus the points and money they have won last week and happy to take it easy.

Someone like Kerber when she is in form will just keep playing and playing but it is rare.

Last edited:
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Well I for one thought she was going to be number 1 for ever and ever. At least that is what the blow ins around the GS were saying.

Pretty amazing that Osaka lost R1 in Montreal and Cinci last year before winning the US.

If Osaka picks up a decent amount of points there she should be safe but could still flip around again if she doesn't and then loses early at the US.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Not fussed about Barty losing number one, the media are going nuts about it though. Given the women's number one spot changes pretty regularly it's no big deal surely :think: Will take a bit of pressure off her too.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Popyrin is gonna be a star if he can work hard and make it past a few top players.
Make 3rd round and got a set off Betteni, could’ve got another set. Only 20 years old. A few solid off seasons, he could really improve

Back